alexitbe

My (First) Sewing Machine Is Here..29K33....its Heavy ;)

I thought I would show you guys and get some advice as I get it working...

As you can see I am armed and ready to take on this refurb. :)

post-57035-0-06759100-1416944955_thumb.j

The exterior is in really nice condition. I will not do much to it, I like the aged effect.

However, I am missing the shuttle body, which will cost about 30 dollars. Also the whole assembly to fill the bobbin (cannot find a place to buy that) and two things I cannot workout. They should be in the two holes in the pic below, Any guesses would be a real help.

Also, where is good to buy replacement parts in the States?

Thanks

Alex

post-57035-0-73811500-1416945620_thumb.j

Edited by alexitbe

And the rest of the pictures are below. As you can see its in really nice condition.

The wheels and cogs move and the needle goes up and down. So I am optimisitic that I, as a complete newbie, can fix it before Christmas...

If you find any faults please do not hesitate to say. This will be a real education for me and I am looking forward to it.

Thanks for your time and your comments

Alex

post-57035-0-36044700-1416945964_thumb.j

post-57035-0-03900200-1416945966_thumb.j

post-57035-0-85126400-1416945967_thumb.j

post-57035-0-11393000-1416945974_thumb.j

post-57035-0-15088000-1416945981_thumb.j

post-57035-0-66407100-1416945985_thumb.j

WOW - thats really a nice finish! So really he careful with the "Waschverdünnung" stuff!

The upper hole is for a tension assembly (including a stud, 2 tension discs, a spring and a nut), the lower hole is a for a set screw that fixes the position of the 360° mechanism when sewing in a certain direction. It prevents the mechanism from moving out of the sewing line.

College Sewing in the UK is a good source for 29K parts

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/catalog/search.aspx?keywords=29K

but I´m not sure which will fit for th 29K33 as this is one of the older models so I´d download the parts list for your machine and compare the parts numbers

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/SINGER-29K30-29K33-PARTS-BOOK

Thank you for the links and the information. I was at a complete loss.

I will take your word on the Waschverdünnung....I might even try isopropnol first, just to see. I think its quite weak.

I don't understand why there are two thread tensioning "things." Can I do without one or do I need both?

Regarding the setscrew, I noticed that the needle was sometimes catching the side of the "bobbin housing" (must learn correct terminology). So maybe you have solved this problem too.. :)

Cheers

Alex

For sewing you just need the one on the topside. The 2nd tension (the one that is missing) is meant for darning - there is an optional darning device for the 29K and thats what the 2nd tension thing is for. The only person I know who has this device is the LW member WIZCRAFT. I personally have never touched one. But I use this tension unit as a thread guide when I wind the bobbin.

The needle is catching the inside of the bobbin housing? I´m not sure what you mean - if you don´t mind post a picture of this "situation".

When you loosen the upper screw of the needle holder you can shift the holder a bit sideways. Or you probably have to time the machine.

If you need a manual you can download one here (direct download link) BUT it is for the later models with removable gearbox and so forth but I think you will notice the differences. The general information are pretty much the same...

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks again... I have downloaded and printed all of those links so I have lots to study now. :)

I have taken a picture or the issue, but its so dark and I am using someone elses camera...

I hope you can see the "hole" or more like a channel for the needle to go down into the bobbin housing. It is this channel which shows sign of the needle catching and sometimes I can see it happening. I think the sideways shift you mention will be enough. I need less than a mm shift away from the channel. I am sure I can find that.

In conclusion, I only need the lower screw for the head and the shuttle hook and I will be able to do something. The reast of the stuff I will keep an eye out in the future for. The next thing would be to sort out some bobbin winder, but I hope I can pick one up from some old Singer. I hope they will be compatable.

Thanks very much for you help.

Alex

post-57035-0-78980100-1417029996_thumb.j

post-57035-0-25427400-1417030002_thumb.j

Edited by alexitbe

The needle should be centered in the needle hole. Maybe the needle is just bent. You can either use 29x3 (332) or 135x17 (DPx17) needles as they both have the same length

Just found some 29x3 (332) for a good price on Ebay Germany:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/10-ORIGINAL-OVP-PFAFF-Leder-Nadeln-Nahmaschinennadeln-3741-01-120-20-29x3-332-/171536511715?pt=N%C3%A4hmaschinen_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item27f05f72e3

I´d grab them for this price ( I have enough needles).

The only source I know for older 29K parts in Germany would be this guy:

http://www.altenaehmaschine.de

I´d contact him - maybe he has what you need.

Edited by Constabulary

I have always loved that machine! Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Actually the needles are not the same length the genuine singer patcher needles are longer from the hole to the end (point )then are the 135 needles. I have both. Either needle will work in a patcher but the patcher needle will not always work where a 135 is needed. I know this because the patcher needle will not work in my singer 78-3 only a 135 will.

29x3 (332) and 135x17 (DPx17) have exactly the same length when you are considering Schmetz needles.

Both are 38.9mm from top of shank to top of needle eye.

135x17 (DPx17):

http://de.strima.com/135x17-ses-65-schmetz-sewing-machine-nadel-g02-1box-100-nadeln/item/682987/

29x3 (332):

http://de.strima.com/332-%28r%29-160-schmetz-sewing-machine-nadel-g02-1box-100-nadeln/item/682784/

Thank you everyone for your help, but it seems as thought it was invane.

I knew I hade to buy a shuttle hook, however, I didn't look under the machine.... Its a bit of a disaster, as there is nothing there. It looks like I have to buy a whole shuttle drive mechanism....

I am not sure if I could machine any of the missing parts, because the drawings have no mechanism...

hmmmm.... I am at a loss what to do....

The arm to the shuttle...empty

post-57035-0-55648800-1417115420_thumb.j

Can see the end of the shuttle drive lever here (I think)

post-57035-0-35390800-1417115463_thumb.j

Edited by alexitbe

All of the missing parts are available as aftermarket items. They may or may not fit without modifications. If you can locate old used, but not abused parts they may fit better and work with less binding. I tell you this from personal experience.

Honestly - I think this will cost more that the machine will be worth after restoration. It would probably be cheaper to buy another (complete) one for parts.

I once bought a 29K71 (one of the last models Singer made) and I had to invest about 150€ or more - I think you will end up with 250€ or more if the parts are available at all.

But I would understand if you take the challenge as I also like to restore "old cast iron" but keep in mind that it could become an expensive project.

Yes, I think you are right, but waiting for old parts may take a long time and I had rather hoped to be ready for Christmas.

Its seems that I was unfortunate to buy a k33 as it has smaller/different parts to the std k30. In partitulcar things like rack and gears. I cannot make these...

I have the opportunity on a 29k51. However, that is very expensive.

What is quite irritating is that I am told that the guy didn't now why it didn't work. However, it is quite clear that the rack conection rod had only recently been removed. The grease looked fresh...

I guess that there is nothing that can be done quickly.

I think there are modern 29k's being built today. Would it be worth buying the parts from these Chinese copies?

How about Adler 30-1k parts? There are lots of Adlers here in Germany...

Alex

Honestly - I think this will cost more that the machine will be worth after restoration. It would probably be cheaper to buy another (complete) one for parts.

I once bought a 29K71 (one of the last models Singer made) and I had to invest about 150€ or more - I think you will end up with 250€ or more if the parts are available at all.

You are correct. There is a supposedly fully working 29k51 near here... How are these for parts and replacements?

What was the most popular 29k. It would make most sense to buy a complete one fo these.

I can make a few things for the machine that I have. However, I do not know any of the correct measurements of the bits or indeed how they are fully assembled..

I have learnt an important lesson... "Buyer Beware" and "go fully informed". :)

Cheers

Alex

On second thoughts, this is a hobby to stop me from sitting infront of the TV and wasting my time... I do not need to produce anything quickly or cheaply.

So I will give hand- stictching a go... I believe we have a group for that? A hole punch, a needl and some thread...What could be simpler? :)

However, I will be back with a fixed machine or a different one in the not too distant future...

Thank you all very kindly for giving your knowledge so freely.

ALex

Const. I am talking about GENUINE SINGER brand needles NOT schmetz or anything else. They ARE longer then a 135 from eye to point just measure them you will see.

Buying old patchers is often enough a gamble as some of the were made in the early 1900 already (Singer + Adler). So you can probably imagine that some will be quite worn. Better test the machines when you are going to buy one (especially from a private seller) and when they produce short stitches like 3.5mm or even 3mm when adjusted to the longest stitch length then they are badly worn and I would not buy them. New or like new patchers should make 5mm stitches (5 stitches per Inch). An acceptable / good score are 4.5mm - 4mm but if they are below 4mm I would not buy them.

But it of course depends on what you want to do with them if you can deal with short stitches - okay - but keep in mind these are worn and parts are not cheap!

I think Adler parts are even more expensive if available at all. The only web source for Adler 30 parts in Germany is WDN in Hamburg but check out the prices and I think you are done:

http://www.wdn.de/artsearchresult.php?ARTIKELZAHL=30&KATEGORIE=6140

Singer 29K70, 29k71, 29K73 are the models you can get parts for w/o problem and the prices are quite cheap compared with Adler parts. These models are later models and therefore most of the times the machines are a bit more expensive.

I have been looking for a patcher for a looong time. For me it was clear that I want a short arm model and parts should be available (in case of restoration) w/o making dozens of phone calls. So I came to the point that a Singer 29K71 would be the one! After a lot of research and hanging out on Ebay and other advertisings I found one on Ebay. The guy was 20km (or so) away from me so I visited him and bought it directly. The patcher was in considerably bad shape but it was a model form the 1960´s and I already knew where I can find the parts (College Sewing). It was a gamble but for just 40€ it was worth the risk.

This is the result:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=56079&hl=29k71

Hi alex, sorry to see that your machine was empty underneath. i am sure something will turn up. i have seen a lot of these machines on ebay in germany, the long arm singers so you might be lucky and get some parts there?? its worth a look now and again. if you need any measurements i could try and send some pictures and measure the parts underneath mine?? its not the long arm one but the short arm one. i suppose the only difference would be the length of the long rack? possibly someone who makes model trains or steam engines etc might be able to rustle up a couple of piñons as they usually have small lathes?? i might even have an old piñon somewhere (if i can find it) and if it fits you could get the measurements from that and use it as a guide?? regards jimi

Edited by jimi

Hi Jimi,

Thanks for your response and offer of help. I might take you up on it shortly. I guess 1:1 photocopies of the parts(except the long connection rack) would be easiest. Then send the scans to my email. However, hold fire for a bit. I willl scour ebay for a bit.

I am missing the following:

The longrack connection rod

The short rack

The following pinion

I think that's it...

Cheers

Alex

I bought the same parts from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. 866-362-7397.

Hi Wizcraft,

I emailed Bob Kovar, thanks to one of your previous posts, and he said he didn't have those parts for the 29k33. Its quite expensive to gamble and hope an alternative fits. I think I will wait and hope on ebay... :)

Cheers

Alex

Alexitbe,

I have a 29K33 that I am going to rebuild sometime in the future. I can get you a line tracing drawing of the long rack. I will check to see if the short rack is the same one used on a 29-4. The following pinion may or may not be the same as a 29-4. If the 29-4 parts are the same, you can get the short rack and following pinion from Harris at Pilgrim Shoe Company here in the USA. He is the only one that has 29-4 parts. There is another gentleman in Ohio who rebuilds 29-4 machines and he may have these 2 parts . The long rack no one has and I am keeping mine. Best I can do is get you pics and a spec sheet on it.

glenn