Mannamal

Attempting Oak Leaf Belt Patterning (First Try At Drawing) Any Tips?

First go at drawing, since there arent any free patterns (that I liked). Any advice? What do you think?post-31099-0-97350000-1373150072_thumb.j

Minimalize the background space as much as possible. Less is better. Overlap the leaves to an extent. In nature leaves lay on top of other leaves. Aaron

Thanks, will do! That there isnt the final layout, just leaf drawings. I can certainly squish em together!

First off, great drawing...you're obviously a gifted sketcher...

Since I can't draw except for stick figures that look like they've been in a horrible accident...I have to rely on patterns for near everything I attempt. I found a (I think) neat Craftaid at Tandy for an oak leaf belt where the borders are the branches of a tree. You can have a (low rez unfortunately) look on Tandy's website...Just search for "oakleaf belt craftaid" (and yes oakleaf is one word as is craftaid).

I'm not saying it's better than your design or what you want for that matter, just thought another artists "view" might help you out.

Good luck, and make sure you post a picture of the finished carving when you're done!

Edited by Widget

Thanks. I'm not interested in pre-fab designs, though. I want everything I make to be original so that no one else could replicate it. (Higher value, ye 'ken?)

Totally, I get that! And admire your ability to do so...just thought it might give perspective to see how another artist "did it." Good luck, and I hope to see your finished product at some point.