When cleaning your leather prior to dyeing or antiquing, do you use Isopropal Alcohol or Denatured Alcohol?

David Theobald

When cleaning your leather prior to dyeing or antiquing, do you use Isopropal Alcohol or Denatured Alcohol?

David Theobald

Neither, I actually use Oxalic Acid for the leather.

For the table cleanup, I use Isopropyl.

Dave, I use denatured

You can use either, both, or Naptha (Lighter fluid). Doesn't make any difference.

Wear gloves. They can all cause liver and kidney damage by through-skin absorption.

Personally I prefer my liver-damaging alcohol applied internally......,

Cheers,

Karl

You can use either, both, or Naptha (Lighter fluid). Doesn't make any difference.

Wear gloves. They can all cause liver and kidney damage by through-skin absorption.

Personally I prefer my liver-damaging alcohol applied internally......,

Cheers,

Karl

I don't drink, but use a lot of alcohol, and unless it's in dye, I never think about wearing gloves. Recently I became pretty woozy after working with alcohol and never put 2 & 2 together until someone told me that rubbing alcohol applied topically can be detected in the liver within 15 minutes.

Then there was that recent story about the guy who died of an alcohol overdose when he was taking alcohol internally in another fashion, but I'll refrain from a full description of THAT!

Hi David,

Isopropyl has an affinity for water and will usually stabilize around 25% water, I feel this water opens the pores up and allows better penetration of the dye. If really difficult then one of the ethyl esters would be better, use with plenty of ventilation.

Art

David Theobald

I have been working leather for a while now and the man who taught me had been doing it for YEARS. He never said anything about using alcohol before dying. Why would you do this? What have I missed?

You need to deglaze the leather surface before dyeing in most cases. It picks up waxes and oils for the processing machinery and from handling.

If the leather is very clean, it may not need it. I think it's good policy to deglaze anyway.

Wear gloves.

Karl

After years of experimentation with a variety of formulas, I've found that Crown Royal works best for me...but I only use oxolic acid on my leather before I dye or antique.... :rofl:

The only time I use alcohol on my leather is when trying to remove unwanted dye, which usually ends up in a catastrophe.

Hi,

What is the best way to apply the cleaning agent? Do you put it on lightly and scrub? or put on heavy?

It seems I never get an even coat of dye on the item even though I've tried Deglazer & Lemon Juice staight, there are areas that just will not darken up. I'm using Eco-Flo and I just bought some Fiebings Oil Dye and had the same problem on a small wristband.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Frank

in most instances, I've never found the need to 'preclean' the leather I'll be dying. Lots of advice to this but basically, if used responsibly, i.e. plenty of ventilation (that goes for your dyes as well as the alcohol by the way) and don't make a point of splashing it all over your skin in large amounts. Small amounts are fine and safe (It is called RUBBING alcohol btw) if you follow the directions on the bottle. wearing gloves, I find is a big help with dyes (not worried so much with the alcohol) but what you should be worried about is breathing the fumes. Make sure to have plenty of ventilation for dying , etc. if you think alcohol gets into your blood stream fast through skin absorption, that's nothing compared to how fast it's absorbed by your lungs. Use the stuff responsibly, follow the bottle direction guidance (as it pertains to exposure) and have lots of ventilation and you'll be fine.

David Theobald

Isopropyl Alcohol as others have said is synthetic and usually a 70/30 mixture, the 30% being water.

Denatured Alcohol (Ethanol) is considered a purer alcohol at 95%-99.5% content.

The main difference is that Iso is considered safe for use externally in medicinal purposes (aka Rubbing Alcohol) whereas Denatured is ethanol which has had a poisonous component added to it during it's creation to make it unsuitable for further distillation.

Some of the chemicals that ethanol is combined with to make Denatured Alcohol are: gasoline, isopropyl alcohol, tertiary butyl alcohol, etc. which can cause cancer, liver damage, blindness and/or death if consumed.

Long story short, they both work but Isopropyl is generally less harsh on skin (and leather) and has a somewhat smaller concentration of bad stuff. In either case, wear gloves, eye protection and work in a ventilated area.

Side note - I use Denatured as most commercially produced dyes are formulated with it versus Isopropyl. I find that I have better results by being consistent in the solvents to thin & clean, especially when I'm airbrushing.

Edited by Spinner

Isopropyl Alcohol as others have said is synthetic and usually a 70/30 mixture, the 30% being water.

Denatured Alcohol (Ethanol) is considered a purer alcohol at 95%-99.5% content.

The main difference is that Iso is considered safe for use externally in medicinal purposes (aka Rubbing Alcohol) whereas Denatured is ethanol which has had a poisonous component added to it during it's creation to make it unsuitable for further distillation.

Some of the chemicals that ethanol is combined with to make Denatured Alcohol are: gasoline, isopropyl alcohol, tertiary butyl alcohol, etc. which can cause cancer, liver damage, blindness and/or death if consumed.

Long story short, they both work but Isopropyl is generally less harsh on skin (and leather) and has a somewhat smaller concentration of bad stuff. In either case, wear gloves, eye protection and work in a ventilated area.

Side note - I use Denatured as most commercially produced dyes are formulated with it versus Isopropyl. I find that I have better results by being consistent in the solvents to thin & clean, especially when I'm airbrushing.

I cannot let this go past without telling what we use "rubbing alcohol" for. I get leg cramps from working on a concrete floor or climbing around on the roof of our home, usually well into the night. IF I can get my body out of bed my wife rubs the alcohol on my legs. Sops it on would be a better explanation. Isopropyl Alcohol is a mild anesthetic. Do I need to go any further?

BTW: Been dong it for over 35 years, I still have my liver. LOL

ferg

I cannot let this go past without telling what we use "rubbing alcohol" for. I get leg cramps from working on a concrete floor or climbing around on the roof of our home, usually well into the night. IF I can get my body out of bed my wife rubs the alcohol on my legs. Sops it on would be a better explanation. Isopropyl Alcohol is a mild anesthetic. Do I need to go any further?

BTW: Been dong it for over 35 years, I still have my liver. LOL

ferg

Makes sense Ferg, as I posted above, Denatured is the one with the 'bad' stuff... ;)