calanneh

leather for a police belt rig

Hey guys,

This is not really a holster question but I felt it was the best place to post it. I have a police buddy who wants me to make a few custom pouches for his gunbelt. If they are good enough and he likes them, then this COULD lead to more business from our local men in blue.

Any pouch on his belt has to be made from the type of leather that my old military class A shoes were made from. Always shiny, no matter what. I always heard it called chorafram. He wasnt real sure of the name. He said it is was 'clara-something'...lol

My local Tandy rep wasnt sure and couldn't find anything in the catalog that was that shiny.

Any ideas??

cal

Oh, I can make Corfam shoes dull. It's one of my many Sooper Seekrit Sooperpowers. The stuff your buddy has is probably made out of Clarino, which is another version of Corfam; neither of which is a natural material.

I don't think Tandy has it, but you might want to look for patent leather.

Edit: Oh, hey, look what I found: http://tinyurl.com/45gyqh

Edited by tashabear

Clarino! That's it!

Thanks Tasha for the name and the Ebay hit! I have a few Ebay auctions marked now and I am keeping an eye on them. That stuff is expensive...... :head_hurts_kr:

A small piece to cover the standard leather of a cellphone case is $15.

Add in the standard leather, labor, etc...your talking a $50+ cellphone case. More if he wasn't a friend...lol

I'll let yall know how things progress.

Thanks again!!!

cal

Having spent 10 yrs in the military and half of that as a Military Policeman we had to keep our uniforms looking crisp, starched and shiny. We used a product to make our jump boots look like patent leather, this was years ago, it was called Leather Luster. I actually found their website and they are still manufacturing it:

Leather Luster

Maybe this would be of help? Good Luck!!

Brad

Having spent 10 yrs in the military and half of that as a Military Policeman we had to keep our uniforms looking crisp, starched and shiny. We used a product to make our jump boots look like patent leather, this was years ago, it was called Leather Luster. I actually found their website and they are still manufacturing it:

Leather Luster

Brad

I rememeber using the same stuff while I was int he Army Brad!! But these guys can't use it. Their regs state it has to be Clarino or they can't wear it while in uniform.

Hence the need for custom phone cases and such.....

Thanks for the reply!

cal

I rememeber using the same stuff while I was int he Army Brad!! But these guys can't use it. Their regs state it has to be Clarino or they can't wear it while in uniform.

Hence the need for custom phone cases and such.....

Thanks for the reply!

cal

No problem, that is a messed up reg!!!

Leather Luster

Brad

Oh, I hated Leather Luster -- at least in the cold and snow and salty roads of Vermont, it cracked and crazed and looked AWFUL, and you couldn't get it off. We weren't supposed to use it.

Oh, I hated Leather Luster -- at least in the cold and snow and salty roads of Vermont, it cracked and crazed and looked AWFUL, and you couldn't get it off. We weren't supposed to use it.

Lol, No you cant remove it, it is on for ever... It worked great in the hot, muggy climate of Ft. Sam Houston, Tx. But I could see how it wouldn't stand up to the cold. We were not supposed to use it either, I think it actually was a reg. wasn't it?

Lol, No you cant remove it, it is on for ever... It worked great in the hot, muggy climate of Ft. Sam Houston, Tx. But I could see how it wouldn't stand up to the cold. We were not supposed to use it either, I think it actually was a reg. wasn't it?

I don't think it was ever in the Uniforms reg; I don't remember. It's moot now anyway -- almost all the services have gone over to a roughout boot.

That they rethought their clothing and equipment over the past few years is a good thing. When I was part of the green machine in the early 70's, the clothing and boots were some of the most uncomfortable things ever devised.