FredF

Needles & Thread for Consew 206

Ok, So I just bought a new (to me) Consew 206 RB-5. It came with a single needle and no thread. Should I get an assortment of needles and thread sizes, and if so, where do I start (no previous sewing experience). I like the look of thicker threads (like those on car leather upholstery).

Can anyone with this machine give me a tip on this, and maybe point me in the direction of a needle and thread supply place? I am in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale)

Many thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred.

Here's where I bought my Consew. They also sell attachments, parts, service and thread. Give them a call, and I'm sure they'll help you out.

Happy stitching, and enjoy your machine.

Hilly

Hi Fred,

Needle brands you want to look for are Schmetz and Organ, German and Japanese, both good quality. Groz-Beckert are also good but availability can be a problem. I have found bonded nylon to work very well in the medium weight machines, until I run out of poly, I will use poly in my heavy stitchers. Don't buy thread from all over, and stick with a brand. Linhanyl works for me, Artisan and LMC sell it. You have a place, Miami Industrial Sewing in North Beach that is a cool place to visit, he might not have thread (he might not be alive, I haven't been there in a few years), but a lot of used machines, and he has parts for everything, prices might be high, haggle.

Art

Ok, So I just bought a new (to me) Consew 206 RB-5. It came with a single needle and no thread. Should I get an assortment of needles and thread sizes, and if so, where do I start (no previous sewing experience). I like the look of thicker threads (like those on car leather upholstery).

Can anyone with this machine give me a tip on this, and maybe point me in the direction of a needle and thread supply place? I am in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale)

Many thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred,

Needle brands you want to look for are Schmetz and Organ, German and Japanese, both good quality. Groz-Beckert are also good but availability can be a problem. I have found bonded nylon to work very well in the medium weight machines, until I run out of poly, I will use poly in my heavy stitchers. Don't buy thread from all over, and stick with a brand. Linhanyl works for me, Artisan and LMC sell it. You have a place, Miami Industrial Sewing in North Beach that is a cool place to visit, he might not have thread (he might not be alive, I haven't been there in a few years), but a lot of used machines, and he has parts for everything, prices might be high, haggle.

Art

Thank you both very much. I will check with both of them in the morning. I wish I had known about Miami Industrial Sewing when I was looking for the machine. It would have been a good source for, at the very least, comparison. Their website is still up, so I am assuming they are still there.

Gotta get Thread, oil, and bobbins. I have tons of leather and fabric to practice with.

Thanks again,

Fred

With the Consew 206 and machines in the same class by different manufacturers, you will usually need to stick with threads at or less than size 138. The specs for the Consew and machines in their class say that they can run up to a size 207 thread, but I find usually you have to fuss with them to get them to run this thick of a thread. I personally feel that 207 thread is a better choice for the oscillating hook machines as opposed to rotary style hooks used in the Consew and others. I personally prefer bonded nylon as it seems to be a bit more fray resistant with regard to sewing leather items (where speed and friction can be problems).

The poly thread that I have used in the past seems to like to fray a bit more in the heavy stitchers. Bonded nylon is used a lot in the horse tack industry, but you do see poly used quite a bit in the marine upholstery trades and also in car upholstery.

For needles, as Art suggests, there is Schmetz, Groz Beckert, and Organ. There are also somes smaller names like Beisel and others.

There used to be a lot more needle compnaies arounf a few years ago than there are today. I used to really like Beka needles as well as Muva needles, and they were very low cost, and worked quite well.

For the Consew 206, you'll needle 135X16 for leather. 135X17 is the needle type used for fabric.

Ryan O. Neel

One more thing, you can sometimes find old Beka needle stock being sold on Ebay at different times. Like I said before, I really liked this needle for the price.

I think you'll really like the Consew, as it is a very good machine for light to medium weight leather sewing.

With the Consew 206 and machines in the same class by different manufacturers, you will usually need to stick with threads at or less than size 138. The specs for the Consew and machines in their class say that they can run up to a size 207 thread, but I find usually you have to fuss with them to get them to run this thick of a thread. I personally feel that 207 thread is a better choice for the oscillating hook machines as opposed to rotary style hooks used in the Consew and others. I personally prefer bonded nylon as it seems to be a bit more fray resistant with regard to sewing leather items (where speed and friction can be problems).

The poly thread that I have used in the past seems to like to fray a bit more in the heavy stitchers. Bonded nylon is used a lot in the horse tack industry, but you do see poly used quite a bit in the marine upholstery trades and also in car upholstery.

For needles, as Art suggests, there is Schmetz, Groz Beckert, and Organ. There are also somes smaller names like Beisel and others.

There used to be a lot more needle compnaies arounf a few years ago than there are today. I used to really like Beka needles as well as Muva needles, and they were very low cost, and worked quite well.

For the Consew 206, you'll needle 135X16 for leather. 135X17 is the needle type used for fabric.

Ryan O. Neel

What is the smallest/finest thread the 206RB-5 will handle well? Also how small needle can you use with it? If you want to do decorative stitching what size needle and thread and what stitch spacing?

ferg

One more thing, you can sometimes find old Beka needle stock being sold on Ebay at different times. Like I said before, I really liked this needle for the price.

I think you'll really like the Consew, as it is a very good machine for light to medium weight leather sewing.

Many thanks,

Fred

For thread try

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=TTE

I use #69 nylon

Ferg asked what's the smallest size thread and needle that can be used in a Consew 206RB. It is capable of sewing with common size 50 polycore thread, if you reduce the tensions to the lightest setting on the bobbin and top thread springs. There is also #46 bonded nylon available that can go through the machine. I would use a #80 needle with those thread sizes.

Walking foot machines are tough on light weight thread and tend to break them often. The tension springs and thread path are designed to manage heavier thread. The wide outside foot allows soft material to pucker as the inner foot lifts with the needle. This is because the outside feet usually have a 1/4" gap between them; clearance for the inside foot to move with the needle.

Most light weight upholstery and leather vests are sewn with #69 bonded nylon thread, with a #110 needle. Heavier projects, like chaps, wallets, purses and lined dress belts are sewn with #138 (T135) bonded nylon, using a #22 needle.

If you decide to try to sew with #207 bonded thread, you'll need to have some #23 or #24 leather point needles on hand. #23 is ok if you use #138 in the bobbin. Otherwise, use a larger needle to make a bigger hole for 4 strands of very thick thread (2 up, knot in middle, 2 down).

The wife sews Linhanyl 46 on the Class 18 all the time, no problems. She uses 2 wraps on the thread guides, just like I do with 138. She uses 15/95 or 16/100 needles, a 12/80 just seems a bit small. Not any bobbin tension adjustment either.

Art

Ferg asked what's the smallest size thread and needle that can be used in a Consew 206RB. It is capable of sewing with common size 50 polycore thread, if you reduce the tensions to the lightest setting on the bobbin and top thread springs. There is also #46 bonded nylon available that can go through the machine. I would use a #80 needle with those thread sizes.

Walking foot machines are tough on light weight thread and tend to break them often. The tension springs and thread path are designed to manage heavier thread. The wide outside foot allows soft material to pucker as the inner foot lifts with the needle. This is because the outside feet usually have a 1/4" gap between them; clearance for the inside foot to move with the needle.

Most light weight upholstery and leather vests are sewn with #69 bonded nylon thread, with a #110 needle. Heavier projects, like chaps, wallets, purses and lined dress belts are sewn with #138 (T135) bonded nylon, using a #22 needle.

If you decide to try to sew with #207 bonded thread, you'll need to have some #23 or #24 leather point needles on hand. #23 is ok if you use #138 in the bobbin. Otherwise, use a larger needle to make a bigger hole for 4 strands of very thick thread (2 up, knot in middle, 2 down).

Do you guys have any info on if there is a roller foot available for the consew 206 rb? The original foot I have leaves indents on my leather... Ive been looking for a roller foot searching under COnsew and Juki 562-3 and havent been able to find anything! WHat other foot options is there that wont mark leather, especially veg tan? Will be sewing up to 6 maybe 7 oz

Thanks!

Do you guys have any info on if there is a roller foot available for the consew 206 rb? The original foot I have leaves indents on my leather... Ive been looking for a roller foot searching under COnsew and Juki 562-3 and havent been able to find anything! WHat other foot options is there that wont mark leather, especially veg tan? Will be sewing up to 6 maybe 7 oz

Thanks!

No, there are no roller feet made specifically for walking foot machines. They are designed to work on straight stitch machines with just one fixed position presser bar. That's not to say you can't alter one to fit your machine's rear presser bar (or possibly replace the bar with one that accepts straight stitch feet), then remove the inside alternating foot. In effect, you will have to convert the machine into a needle feed straight stitch machine (no alternating feet).

Edited by Wizcrafts

I use bonded nylon or polyester depending on uv exposure up to a 138 with on problem. Polyester for outside and webbing. Groz Beckett and organ titanium needles. Changed the original motor to a consew cs1000 servo with 2" pulley and the old gal will see step stitches in leather or Cadillac along on upholstery all day long.