Handstitched

The Difference Between Two Needles?

G'day from a scorching Western Australia,

I have just purchased a packet of needles for my Q Stitch Colt ( Juki 144 clone).

The needles I normally use are 794S 180/24,the brand is Groz-Beckert.The thread I use is 277.

But I didn't notice until after I got home that the number is 794 H. 180/24

I looked closely under a magnifying glass, but I couldn't see any difference whatsoever.

I was hoping to see a difference in the points ( ie chisel point & round point. ) but they looked the same....unless I need to look even closer still?

Is there a difference between the two numbers??

All the best,

HS:)

After some searching on the web (I'm not a sewing machine or needle expert) I found this information. I looked at a number of charts with needle point styles and no "H". Then finally found this info and assembled it into a PDF. "H" appears to identify the needle has a scarf. Hope it helps.

Needle Style.pdf

Edited by northmount

From what I have seen, the 794 H is more like the 7x1 round point needles also called DYx3. Bob has forgotten more about needles than the rest of us put together know, so see if he responds.

Art

G'day from a scorching Western Australia,

I have just purchased a packet of needles for my Q Stitch Colt ( Juki 144 clone).

The needles I normally use are 794S 180/24,the brand is Groz-Beckert.The thread I use is 277.

But I didn't notice until after I got home that the number is 794 H. 180/24

I looked closely under a magnifying glass, but I couldn't see any difference whatsoever.

I was hoping to see a difference in the points ( ie chisel point & round point. ) but they looked the same....unless I need to look even closer still?

Is there a difference between the two numbers??

All the best,

HS:)

G'Day again...( it's still a scorcher ...again)

Thank you so much for your responses and the PDF.

I do have an old broken camera lens that I use like a magnifying glass and to see stuff really REALLY close up, close enough to see the numbers clearly on the shaft.

Now after having an even closer look through that old lens , the difference I can see is this:

The Schmetz 794 S is more 'chisel shaped' at the end,

and the GB 794 H appears to be a lot sharper and pointier at the end, and the 'scarf'' appears to be beveled slighty on one side. I'm guessing that this has something to do with the picking up of the thread as the shuttle comes around.

It seems to work OK though, and as far as sewing leather goes, I can't really tell the difference.

I've learnt so much more about needles in these past few days .

:specool:

All the best, and thanks once again.

HS

I've learnt so much more about needles in these past few days .

:specool:

All the best, and thanks once again.

HS

Stick with it and stay sharp! I'm just needling you.;-)

Edited by Wizcrafts