ClaireAshton

Sense Of Humour Failure Across The Pond......

I was thinking of starting a thread here in Conversation that would consist of Jokes, Satire, Sarcasm, Irony, and general all round sophisticated punnery and witticism.

Then I thought what is the point as the majority of the readers of this board would fail to grasp what we Brits were on about.............

Comment from the Colonies? Ex or otherwise? :crazy:

Edited by ClaireAshton

<-- This guy is a BBC America fan .. Doctor Who fan ... Top Gear ... Monty Python ... Orphan Black .. Sherlock ... Red Dwarf ... The Young Ones ... and on and on ...

Oh .. and very excited to see how the new Doctor is going to work out. Rumors are that he's almost as grumpy as Hartnell was.

I understand that the REAL BBC doesn't show "Almost Royal" as BBCA does, so you may not have seen it. It's largely improv and pokes fun at both Britain and the US. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=almost+royal

Yeah. I'm a big geek.

Bill

I understand that the REAL BBC doesn't show "Almost Royal" as BBCA does, so you may not have seen it. It's largely improv and pokes fun at both Britain and the US. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=almost+

Bill

Now that is really funny. Fancy normal British people trying to play it down for the American market.......

No, we don't have it over here - I wish they would!

Terry Prattchet, Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, the Vicker of Dimby, Keeping up Apperances, and I am listening to Monty Python right now. Anything I don't get will be worth having explained.

One of my favorite memories has been, on about three or four occasions, sitting in a room full of people who had never seen it ... Watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Every single time about half of the crowd were just in stitches, and the other half just bewildered.

Also .. LOVE those 50's Alec Guinness movies. Ladykillers, The Man in the White Suit, Kind Hearts and Coronets, and Lavender Hill Gang (which was on TCM this morning), come to mind. Most everybody remembers him as a fine dramatic actor, but early in his career he was best know for comedy.

Bill

Flavour of the month (Notice the correct spelling used :thumbsup: ) for me are the reruns of 'Allo 'Allo. To those who have never seen it, it's a must see. About the French Cafe owner who ..............

No, I can't explain, you just have to see it.

Here you are, I've found this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO3_rXCYxLU

Edited by ClaireAshton

Thanks Claire! That's awesome. I had never heard of this show, but now I'm going to have to give it a go. It's a bit like a wartime Fawlty Towers.

Somebody posted a day or two ago that they had watched one of Nigel Armitage's videos at work, with no speakers, using the youtube closed caption option. It turns out that it's just hysterical to watch since the software is not geared to a British accent. Give that a look if you have a chance.

And yes, I watched Allo Allo with CC turned on. It's funny without CC, but with all the accents in this show, it's even better! ...

"Economists requiring three kilos of pot, tokyo's of sugar, 10 litres of pedophilia, and 20 meters of gasoline". :rofl:

Bill

Edited by billybopp

HA! You've watched 'Allo, 'Allo?! Best show ever. Except for Fawlty Towers. I've never met anyone else who has seen it. Most of my favorite books and movies are British. Hot Fuzz? I won't even start, there are too many.

Nothing touches "As Time Goes BY"....... You need to see it from the 1st episode, suffer through the first few droll episodes, confusing cast definitions and roles nuances. Then settle in to the delight of THER VERY BEST old fashion romantic comedy, EVER,EVER!. The cast, headed by DAME JUDY Dench leads on to situations common to everyone. And when you end this magnificent series and take time to ponder and digest sheer comfort and bygone un-hassled or un-hustled goodness. Get A hold Of Last of the Summer wine and prepare to be rapt an d laugh you self sick. THE BEST REASONS TO OWN A TV.(period) Blind BBC managed to find 2 stupendous nuts....Thanks Claire for reminding me!!!! Thanks.

Allo Allo was actually a spin off of a serious drama called "The Secret Army", during the filming of TSA there were so may funny bloopers that it spawned the comedy series "Allo Allo"

If you can get a copy of the Secret Army series it is excellent

I'm addicted to it a firm favorite

Midsomer Murders, Agatha Christie, Cracker, Downton Abbey, Doc Martin all have lots of subtle humor that I've come to have an ear for and truly enjoy. Maggie Smith is one of the funniest actresses I know of because she's so subtle and quick. You have to really listen carefully to 'get' her. None of this can shake a stick at the entire James Bond series especially after 'M' is taken over by the lovely Judi Dench with Samantha Bond as Moneypenny. Takes things to an entirely different level.

<-- This guy is a BBC America fan .. Doctor Who fan ... Top Gear ... Monty Python ... Orphan Black .. S

I like the British humor very much but you have to have a bit of a sense for it.

TOP GEAR UK is great, though I´m not a big car or motor fan I really like the 3 dudes and their odd challenges.

But TOP GEAR US sucks soooo bad bad bad.

Thank you for the lead on Allo Allo I have been enjoying it on YouTube.

Some things just do not translate well from UK English to American English.

My closest childhood friend's grandmother was from England, and moved to the US after retiring to live with the family. She liked to help out with the cleaning, cooking and grocery shopping as much as she could (she introduced me to Yorkshire Pudding .. YUMMMM). So, one day she went to the supermarket to buy groceries. This grocery store had scratch off tickets for discounts, freebies, etc. She had never seen such before in England, and asked the cashier about it, and was told to use a coin or something to rub off the paint from the ticket to see her prize. She promptly turned to the 16 year old bag boy and asked him "Do you have a rubber?" Needless to say, the boy turned the most amazing shade or red, and she was totally confused.

England and America are indeed two nations divided by a common language.

Bill

England and America are indeed two nations divided by a common language.

Bill

LOL Bill

how true!! those brits sure can murder the queen's english. lol

i'm not a huge fan of british humor. my sense of humor runs a very narrow field - sarcasm, wit and irony will do it for me. monty python.....meh. i just can't get into it. i'm rather more taken by the british slang and (i'm not sure what it's called - or if there is a term for it) the rhymes they use for simple functions. i can't even give a great example of it.

i am on the apriliaforum.com. we have a lot of brits on there and they take a real beating sometimes for their use of the queen's english. gimme that gritty cockney accent every time!

Not one word of the best Benny Hill now there was a show , never missed it when it was on, the toy maker on chatty chatty bang bang . Probably his most serious roll.

Not one word of the best Benny Hill now there was a show , never missed it when it was on, the toy maker on chatty chatty bang bang . Probably his most serious roll.