esantoro

rounding corners asymmetrically

Thank you to Art and others, who suggested the use of a French curve and also the fold-over pattern technique for rounding corners asymmetrically.

Now I'm wondering if there are any techniques or tools, other than a good pair of eyes and finger tips, that can help me check the evenness of such curves. I've attached a pic for reference.

Thanks,

Ed

DSCN0073.JPG

post-853-1190081975_thumb.jpg

Hi Ed,

I am not sure I understand your question. If you mean the symmetry or is one side the exact mirror of the other, then trace it and fold the tracing in half, any problems become obvious, then adjust the pattern. You have made a damned nice bag there and you will refine it over time, the more you make the better they get. However, YOU will see every little thing, that is why artisan's work improves over time. Suggestions? sure, offer edge stamping, dyeing, and initials to start, lining or treated back leather as an option, better hardware, special interior sectioning, the sky is the limit. Listen to your customers, they will drive you in some areas. Always get good money for your work, guarantee it, and fix whatever goes wrong quickly and for free, advertise a little, reputation and word of mouth a lot, ask customers (the happy ones) to refer you to others. As far as tools, eyes and fingres are the best ones, that is what the customer is using.

Art

Thank you to Art and others, who suggested the use of a French curve and also the fold-over pattern technique for rounding corners asymmetrically.

Now I'm wondering if there are any techniques or tools, other than a good pair of eyes and finger tips, that can help me check the evenness of such curves. I've attached a pic for reference.

Thanks,

Ed

There's a tool called a "centering ruler" that has Zero at the center and counts out from there in both directions. Something like that might be useful for showing you how well your curves match.

Mark the centerline of your piece, move the ruler's zero mark along the center line and watch the sides to see if they're matching up as the ruler moves...

Thanks for your responses.

And, Art, thank you for the pattern idea. It works great. I was thinking that maybe there is some tool out there that would allow me to measure the curve of the arc, so that I can double check my patterning before I cut, something like a special protractor or something.

Peter has a great idea. Use a ruler and measure out from the center, paying attention to where the arc rises. Though a regular ruler would work, a centering ruler would be nice.

Ed

Hi Esantoro

There is this tool that goodsjapan sells called the curved stencil that can accurately measures your curves. There is a video in this link which you can check it out. Price is quite reasonable too Hope this helps!

http://www.goodsjapan.jp/item/stencils-rulers-measurers/leathercraft-curved-stencil-me/lid=29748503

Jacob