Dustin11B

Reproduction Leather Axle Boot Cover For Us 75Mm Pack Howitzer

Recently the US Army Artillery Museum located at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma asked if I could make two reproduction leather axle boots for their WWII US M1 and M1A pack howitzers that are currently being restored. The first task was to save as much of the original boot as possible for conservation. Very few of these leather axle boots exist today due to the nature of their use as lawn ornaments and salute guns at military installations after WWII and Korea. After removing the original boot to make a pattern from I was off and running. There are 13 total leather rings that I cut free hand then stitched the inner portion of the bellows and then the outers, sort of like acordion style. This was done so the leather could expand and contract. The purpose of this cover is to protect the worm gear side of the axle which is the traverse portion of the Pack howitzer. See photos below of my work and final boots. The leather boot / cover is on the right side of the axle in the photos as your looking at them. And just so you know, there are six different sizes involved with the rings.

9360585850_84c5dc0539_c.jpg

9357794945_f9b836f430_c.jpg

9357361027_3dfcf6e721_c.jpg

9360176374_11950dfc89_c.jpg

Bellows cut out ready for stitching, compared to originals.

9360168724_fa726251df_c.jpg

9357369049_3e72abde05_c.jpg

Stitching the bellows, this was quite fun... not really but it was a learning experience which is invaluable.

9357405665_3e5e9b0c72_c.jpg

Finished leather axle cover installed on the axle, you can clearly see the worm gear axle. Note, I was having difficulties with the how to mark this cover as reproduction and not to later be taken as an original cover. I decided to do two things, to make one row of stitching and to make with letter stamps and marker on the inside of the cover and stamp the outside with REPRODUCTION 2013 and my mark. Also the information file on each piece has been added to the history of each pack howitzer to show that these reproductions boots are just that.

I hope you enjoyed reading and seeing some of my work. I hope to have more military related work posted soon.

Well that's something you don't get to do every day. Thanks for sharing. Very cool!

Very interesting...Nice work!!