TracyMoss

Panhandle Leather Co. Amarillo, Texas

Some of you may know who this is, but I don't hear them mentioned much. I am good friends with Jim Blain Kenney, the owner, and they are good source for all kinds of leathr needs. Skirting, chap, boot material, exotics, hardware, nails, tools, etc. They are really good and can usually find whatever you need.

Panhandle Leather Website

They don't have it set up so you can buy anything online, but their info is there.

Edited by TracyMoss

do they have a website?

I added a link to my initial post down at the bottom. Just click on Panhandle Leather Website on my initial post.

thanks tracy

I get my leather from them. Great prices, good hydes. Herman oaks. Wish I knew why they were so reasonably priced.

Edited by jrny4wrd

HO at the tannery is $2 / foot less than that . "A" grade 7/8 is $7.25 / foot. And that's the price WE would get - I'd guess they're getting a better price than I am.

I purchased my first side of Hermann Oak from Panhandle Leather yesterday. I have purchased from Weaver before. Panhandle had the best price $215 a side. I asked what grade is it? He told me they don't do things like that. They get their leather from Hermann Oak, stack it up and when they get an order for a side, they pull one from the stack. I like that, just hope I get a good one. I take it Hermann Oak doesn't grade their leather if Panhandle doesn't. So how do the other companies get away with charging us more for a better grade? I am fairly new to this and I only purchase one side at a time. Can someone explain this grading business? 

Jim

I don't know much about it, but h.o. does grade their leather. They mention it in their videos.

Yep, HO does grade their leather.  I don't know the folks mentioned down there at Panhandle, but likely they purchase "tannery run", other words a mix of grades.  Price cut because HO doesn't have to go through and grade 'em.... so in that way they "could" have HO leather that doesn't have a marking for grade ... meaning it could be any grade.

HO sells a "mix" of "A" and "B".  You might be able to buy all "B", but you generally can't buy all "A" (mix it up so there isn't one guy buying up all the "A" hides, I suppose).  The "B" generally isn't so very different from the "A" - either is good usable leather.  And no matter what grade you get, there will be SOME marks (fat wrinkles and/or scratches, bites, etc.) plus belly leather sucks no matter the grade.

Most retailers will tell you they get leather from HO, and they don't do anything to it.  Whatever HO sent, that's what they got.  WIthout biting any one seller in the butt, I can say that is NOT always the case.  

I live in Amarillo and it's pretty nice to be able to go there because they would let me go through the stack and pick what I wanted. They are good people and I've always been treated well by them. 

David

Maybe we should pitch in and pay David8386 to pick out our leather B)

I am still waiting, thank you JL  for the information. I just hope I get a good side. David, you are lucky to be able to pick your own side. Do you still have to buy a min. amount of sides or could you buy one?

Jim

Wife wanted to move to Allentown (PA) a while back.  After considering that Wickett & Craig would be just up the road, I still had to rule it out as just too much trouble ;)

I am sure you wouldn't make that move just to be near Tandy. LOL They don't have that store there any more. I didn't know WC had one in Allentown. I would have taken the ride. I live in NJ, a little over an hour drive. I have to look into it.

Jim

W/C is is Curwensville, PA