cjeureka

Can I Embellish Leather With Rubber Stamping, Iron On Transfers. For Inkjet Printer..,..etcc

I recently received a Consew 206rb...been sewing purses over 25 years...now I can finally make leather accessories. I cannot tool but plan to learn...meanwhile..I will depend on intricate designs..such as pleating the leather first, but would love to embellish in other ways as I do in wearable art.

Anybody ever used iron on transfers, or rubber stamps..stencils with paint...etc.. on leather? I have had success transfering to wood...but wondered how leather would endure the heat required. Would love to see what others have tried alone this line...share..blahblahblah.gif share share pretty please......I am a Katrina transplant to Eureka, KS.....been here 5 years...pop.2000 and only one of few Black folks in these parts...Love don't mind....Wonderful little city...with a great big heart...

cjeureka

There is a book that I got at Tandy a couple years ago called Leather Crafting in an Afternoon written by Mickey Baskett. The book cover quite a few "unconventional" ways to decorate leather. Rubber stamps and paint are a couple things that are used in the projects in the book. My wife does rubber stamping and scrap booking and a lot of the tools and supplies she uses for her craft can also be used on leather. You are limited only by your imagination. My advice would be if you think it might look good on leather, give it a try. You might want to practice on some scrap first, but you never know what you might come up with. Welcome to Leatherworker.net. I hope you have a lot of fun trying new things and don't forget to share some picture of what you come up with.

thanks ClayB..I will google the book.....

Great news...yesterday I watched some delicious videos on tooling....I am convinced I can teach myself. I certainly was fascinated by how the right tools can make learning easy. I am about to order a basic kit...I want the swivel, bezeler and anything else I can afford. Any suggestions about essential tools I need getting started would be appreciated from all. Limited cash for tools so I want what I can get by with for a minute.

cjeureka

There is a book that I got at Tandy a couple years ago called Leather Crafting in an Afternoon written by Mickey Baskett. The book cover quite a few "unconventional" ways to decorate leather. Rubber stamps and paint are a couple things that are used in the projects in the book. My wife does rubber stamping and scrap booking and a lot of the tools and supplies she uses for her craft can also be used on leather. You are limited only by your imagination. My advice would be if you think it might look good on leather, give it a try. You might want to practice on some scrap first, but you never know what you might come up with. Welcome to Leatherworker.net. I hope you have a lot of fun trying new things and don't forget to share some picture of what you come up with.

I found the book "Leather Crafting in an Afternoon" at Amazon...2.99...3 bucks shipping...It will be great for fast...cool looking projects for quick sales. Thanks ClayB~!~You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

cjeureka

If you don't want to "go it alone" you can talk to your Tandy store in Wichita about lessons. I'm sure they'd be happy to set you up with a beginner's class to get your feet wet..:)

An angel must be watching over me Budd4746..I was at the Tandy online site and had run up a bill of 65 bucks on the basic 7, some cement glue and a mallot....They called me on the phone to tell me the Basic kit was on sale...reg. 89 bucks on sale for 29.00...Was that not a wonderful thing to do? I am loving tandy and delighted to know there is one in Wichita...only 1 hour away...here is what I get for 29 bucks.

btw...what can I subsitute for the granite block? Too pricey for me right now...

Over $120 value if all items purchased separately.

Basic Leathercraft Kit Contains:

• Wallet Kit

• Money Clip Kit

• Coin Purse Kit

• Rounder

• Key Fob Kit

• Two Dye Brushes

• Jeweler’s Rouge

• Sponge

• Tanner’s Bond® Water-Based Contact Cement

• 10" x 20" Tracing Film

• Swivel Knife

• Beveler Stamping Tool B701

• Camouflage Stamping Tool C431

• Pear Shader Stamping Tool P206

• Seeder Stamping Tool S706

• Backgrounder Stamping Tool A104

• Wooden Mallet

• Eco-Flo™ Super Shene®

• Eco-Flo™ Hi-Lite Color Stain in Briar Brown

• Eco-Flo™ Leather Dye in Dk. Coco Brown

• The Leathercraft Handbook

thanks

cjEureka

If you don't want to "go it alone" you can talk to your Tandy store in Wichita about lessons. I'm sure they'd be happy to set you up with a beginner's class to get your feet wet..:)

Find a business that manufactures or installs granite counter tops, and see if they have any rejects or cutouts for sinks. This stuff works real well, and cost should be minimal. Saves them from throwing it away. The only comment on what you purchased is that after you start learning, you are going to want a rawhide mallet or a maul. It is hard to do a good job tooling using that little wooden mallet they sell. Good luck,

Terry

Don't know how it is in Amerika . I went to a DIY in the nabourhood , they sell everything for building houses and a lot of stones for outside use , asked for a peace of polished nature stone ,

Found a nice peace 50×50 cm costs me € 5 . Works great .

I wondered what mallots you guys used terrymac....The wooden mallot comes with the kit...but I will get what I need to make things easier...That is why I am here...all ears...gleaning from the pros...thanks to all...appreciate ya' alreadygrouphug5vj5.gif

cjeureka

Find a business that manufactures or installs granite counter tops, and see if they have any rejects or cutouts for sinks. This stuff works real well, and cost should be minimal. Saves them from throwing it away. The only comment on what you purchased is that after you start learning, you are going to want a rawhide mallet or a maul. It is hard to do a good job tooling using that little wooden mallet they sell. Good luck,

Terry

Neat suggestion terrymac...will do

thanks

cjeureka

Terry

Iron-on can be done.I use Avery Dark T-shirt tranfers.Take your digital image off your computer and print it to the transfer and go.The leather must be dry and blemish free.Afterwards ,multiple coats of Fiebings Leather Sheen will protect it.

Beware of copying copyrighted material or trademarks.Dave

groupsheaths.jpg

Terry

Also, find a place that engraves tombstones (some do, some don't). They have the occasional mistake that they'll give you for free, if you can haul it away. I got (free) a 200 lb tombstone that I built a tooling table around. I can whack as hard as I can & still no vibration. Wonderful. For free, phenomenal!

So glad to hear that Dave....I will get some Fiebings and give transfers a try...Believe me as a digitizer (convert graphics to stitches) cjeureka.com I am aware of copyright violations...I draw most of my stuff...or get permission....thanks for the head's up...This is one terrific forum I stumbled acrossgrouphug5vj5.gif.

BTW...got my kit from Tandy's Wichita store...Speedy service...gonna have some fun tonite....way better than sex, drugs...or ...well...maybe not rock and roll...course...I could have it in the background...so there...lil meatloaf.."bat out of hell" to pound leather to........LOL'

P.S. Your work is terif...thanks for sharing photo

cjeureka

Iron-on can be done.I use Avery Dark T-shirt tranfers.Take your digital image off your computer and print it to the transfer and go.The leather must be dry and blemish free.Afterwards ,multiple coats of Fiebings Leather Sheen will protect it.

Beware of copying copyrighted material or trademarks.Dave

groupsheaths.jpg

WELCOME WELCOME I sure do hope you know your in for it now, this hobby is so addicting its like CRACK for me i am so obsessed its crazy. As far as the hammer goes you'll find that it is just really lite and it takes alot of work to do simple things but if you like it I have about ten of them I'll send ya some more, When I started I went to ACE and bought a couple of the rubber 1 lb mallets and a 6 oz one as well and they seem to work really well but I finally broke down and bought the Al Stohlman 16 oz round maul from tandy and its about the best thing next to sugar and coffee (yeah i'm addicted to other stuff to). They are a little spendy but its well worth it. And if your gonna get into this alot the best thing you can do is get into the wholesale club at Tandy because it will save ya quite a bit, I just joined the elite club for 135.00 but so far I've spent about 500.00 and got 965.00 worth of stuff so its already paid for itself.

of course your handle intriques me...especially cuz I am listening to BB's channel 74' on xm/sirrus .

I am already addicted...I am watching the video and was delighted to receive kits for a key chain, wallet...and something else...too lazy to walk over to the box and look. I am going to trace them for the future...I definitely want to do iphone...android...etc...carries...Would love to figure out the demensions for the Ipad...to accommodate the support it needs...and flexibility for horizontal and verd ...etc...

I am so glad Tandy is so near and just asked Nick yesterday about taking advantage of club prices....I am on a very tight budget and can barely support this new habit...but its cheaper than crack...in the long run..

Be careful about offering to send me stuff...as soon as you offered I immediately fell deeply in love with the wooden mallot...lol....Send me any and everything I could get away with...When you are ready...I'll send snail mail...shoot me a email...cj2015@gmail.com with...especially knowledge and personal experience...I will absorb it like a casing sponge.(they sent me one...cool)..liking U dude...where do you live?

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

WELCOME WELCOME I sure do hope you know your in for it now, this hobby is so addicting its like CRACK for me i am so obsessed its crazy. As far as the hammer goes you'll find that it is just really lite and it takes alot of work to do simple things but if you like it I have about ten of them I'll send ya some more, When I started I went to ACE and bought a couple of the rubber 1 lb mallets and a 6 oz one as well and they seem to work really well but I finally broke down and bought the Al Stohlman 16 oz round maul from tandy and its about the best thing next to sugar and coffee (yeah i'm addicted to other stuff to). They are a little spendy but its well worth it. And if your gonna get into this alot the best thing you can do is get into the wholesale club at Tandy because it will save ya quite a bit, I just joined the elite club for 135.00 but so far I've spent about 500.00 and got 965.00 worth of stuff so its already paid for itself.

of course your handle intriques me...especially cuz I am listening to BB's channel 74' on xm/sirrus .

I am already addicted...I am watching the video and was delighted to receive kits for a key chain, wallet...and something else...too lazy to walk over to the box and look. I am going to trace them for the future...I definitely want to do iphone...android...etc...carries...Would love to figure out the demensions for the Ipad...to accommodate the support it needs...and flexibility for horizontal and verd ...etc...

I am so glad Tandy is so near and just asked Nick yesterday about taking advantage of club prices....I am on a very tight budget and can barely support this new habit...but its cheaper than crack...in the long run..

Be careful about offering to send me stuff...as soon as you offered I immediately fell deeply in love with the wooden mallot...lol....Send me any and everything I could get away with...When you are ready...I'll send snail mail...shoot me a email...cj2015@gmail.com with...especially knowledge and personal experience...I will absorb it like a casing sponge.(they sent me one...cool)..liking U dude...where do you live?

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Vernal utah

I polished my nails in Geography class...gonna have to pull out the map...lol

cjeureka

Vernal utah

Seek...and ye shall find a Slab of granite...Pal just brought this....said it was sitting on their patio 2 years....waiting on me...cool beans

post-17835-038067700 1290274575_thumb.jp