Lauro13

Help With Setting Round Spots! What Am I Doing Wrong?

I have a tandy press (the red one) with the proper adapter and 9 out of 10 spots come out like the pic below. Anybody know why? I've tried both Tandy brand spots and spots from Standard Rivet (Both prong lengths.

image1_zps9hvgrxkq.jpg

My guess, . . . looking at the picture, . . . you are using the pre-dyed leather. It is HARD stuff.

Wet it first, . . . WET, . . . and if that does not work, . . . put the spot in the holder, . . . use it to mark where the legs are, . . . use an awl to poke the holes for the legs, . . . then use the tool to complete the job.

Second guess, . . . you are trying to WHACK them through, . . . gently, just tap, tap, tap, tap, . . . works better for me.

I am not a great fan of spots, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Give me a call. I've been designing and building machines for over 30yrs....this looks to be an adjustment issue.

781-828-7111 x.203

Thanks,

Tim

I use the same press ... And yes... Gently and slowly.    If you whack the spots thru those prongs will splay.      

That looks like kinda thick leather too so maybe just set them by hand?    By marking, then poking them thru then bending prongs with a small screwdriver or even your finger.  

I finish my work off by tapping with a small jewellers hammer on all prongs just to get em flat.  And set good.   Set your finished piece on rubber so as not to damage the domes  or crystals etc  

Ive done what's in your picture many times and found it frustrating also

good luck..

* also helps to make sure all the prongs are straight down on the spot.   I just squeeze them really really gently to make sure the legs don't splay out before their put in the dies. 

Edited by BJP