Sign in to follow this  
particle

Looking To Buy A Stitching Chisel To Pre-Punch The Holes

For hand stitching, what's the best C.S. Osborne chisel to pre-punch my holes?

http://www.csosborne.com/no700.htm

http://www.csosborne.com/no452.htm

http://www.csosborne.com/no609.htm

The no700 specifically says its for saddle stitching. But the blades don't look angled... The no452 doesn't look angled either, so I'm leaning towards the no609...

Anyone have any suggestions or a better recommendation (besides punching holes one-by-one with an awl)?

Also, these are obviously mult-pronged - which tool is the complimentary tool for punching the holes going around tight curves?Look

The 609 is a pricking iron, not a chisel. You co behind it with an awl.

Look at the goodsjapan website. I can not recoment strong enough the pliers style punches.

Aaron

Sew it on your machine. But if you really want to sew it by hand take the thread out on your machine and use it to punch the holes.

I use the 700 and it's 6 spi, the blades are not angled. I started with the Tandy diamond chisel and I prefer the osborne 700, with the 7 cord wax linen that I'm currently using.

I've got second the Goods Japan lacing punches. The blades are diamond shaped so they are angled. They come in many different stitch per inch sizes and number of prongs. They are ectremely well made and really sharp.

Bill

Eric, I have used the diamond stitching punches but I spent a couple hours in total sharpening and polishing them, which also made a much smaller hole ( and a weaker prong). They came in a Tandy bag but I ordered them from Springfield.

2mm will mimic 6spi . I bought two 4-prong punches from Springfield, and ground off the two outside prongs on one to make a two punch. Reason being, I have another set from Tandy, earlier, and the thickness of the two are way off, so the holes look like hell. (That was a 4mm set I started with). You want a two prong and a four prong at least, so you can always index off an existing hole accurately. I would add a single also, for fudging in between holes as you come to an end, for instance.

If I buy anymore of these, I'd look for Seiwa brand, which are sold by Goods Japan online as told above, and Ebay. I have not seen the smaller sizes on Ebay, though.

That's one of the few tools Seiwa makes that looks different than what you get from Tandy and the like. And, at least it isn't made in China. I've purchased a number of tools from Springfield that came in a Tandy bag, which really irritated me. They were cheaper at Tandy with my discount.

Jake

Edited by SooperJake