Sign in to follow this  
Oscar B

tried liquid saddle soap in carving water?

I would like to know if people use pro carve, if they have ever tried liquid saddle soap in carving water?

Run accross some hide that soaked up water and stayed to dry to work with. A long time leather worker said to try some liquid saddle soap in the tooling water not much. Was a wits end so tried this out and have been using it ever since. It seems to take the wateer better, tool deeper and leaves a real nice burnish.

Just wanted to know if any one else has tried this?

B)-->

QUOTE(Oscar B @ Mar 10 2007, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would like to know if people use pro carve, if they have ever tried liquid saddle soap in carving water?

Run accross some hide that soaked up water and stayed to dry to work with. A long time leather worker said to try some liquid saddle soap in the tooling water not much. Was a wits end so tried this out and have been using it ever since. It seems to take the wateer better, tool deeper and leaves a real nice burnish.

Just wanted to know if any one else has tried this?

Hello Oscar

I like to try new things( at least it is to me) What is the mixing ratio and is one brand better than another?

I have used Ivory soap ( bar only ) lathered up on a natural sponge and rubbed onto the leather with good results. This tip came from the late Bob Dellis. It sure reduces the drag on your swivel knife that you get from some saddle skirting.

Kind Regards

Blake

I am not sure about brands as use what ever I have at the time. Tooling water cup holds about 1 1/2 cups of water and splash into about 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon would be my guess. You don't want so much that it suds. I know this does not effect the leather color of how it accepts dye of finnish. I will have to remember about the Ivory soap if run out of the other.

Thanks

Oscar

There was a time that I used Lexol mixed with water to case my leather. Then I heard about ProCarve and gave it a try. Now I use nothing else. Not only does it help the tooling and cutting, but it is also an anti-fungal inhibitor. I have also heard other people use soap with water mixed and have had good results. Each craftsman must try things out and use what works for them.

I've used a little bit of Lexol in water; it works also.

Edited by whinewine

Blake,

I am an experimenter also. I have used ProCarv, left over Carv-Eze, glycerine, tanning oil, Dawn dishsoap, Palmolive, Lexol, and plain water. To keep it simple, I like the ProCarv the best. Basically the action is a surfactant, breaks down the water's surface tension and allows faster penetration and casing. The ratio is 1:10. It also has an antifungal in it. I used to have a molding problem with overnight casing in my old shop, none since I started the ProCarv. I had a couple guys from Louisiana tell me that they have not had a finished product mold later on, even when just cased with ProCarv. Good enough testimony for me. On draggy kind of leather I use white Fiebing's saddle soap lathered and rubbed in like you describe with the Ivory. Seems to help hold the casing longer too.

Bruce Johnson

Blake,

I am an experimenter also. I have used ProCarv, left over Carv-Eze, glycerine, tanning oil, Dawn dishsoap, Palmolive, Lexol, and plain water. To keep it simple, I like the ProCarv the best. Basically the action is a surfactant, breaks down the water's surface tension and allows faster penetration and casing. The ratio is 1:10. It also has an antifungal in it. I used to have a molding problem with overnight casing in my old shop, none since I started the ProCarv. I had a couple guys from Louisiana tell me that they have not had a finished product mold later on, even when just cased with ProCarv. Good enough testimony for me. On draggy kind of leather I use white Fiebing's saddle soap lathered and rubbed in like you describe with the Ivory. Seems to help hold the casing longer too.

Bruce Johnson

Hi Bruce

Sounds like everyone had a great time at the show. I hope to see everyone there next year.

I have never used the ProCarv but I have used the Carv-Eze. It was just OK in my opinion. I got the same results with just plain old Photo-Flow from dark room supplies.

I will have to give the ProCarv a try.

Sometimes you have to maintain a good case for a long period when doing a fully tooled saddle with itty-bitty little flowers.(not my favorite to do), so I am always looking for an improvment.

How would you compare ProCarv to Carv-Eze?

Kind Regards

Blake

Blake,

The show at Wickenburg was good. Got more than my money's worth out of the classes. I will post a little report elsewhere.

I like the ProCarve better than Carv-Eze. The Carv'Eze I got was in a set of used tools, so can't attest to its freshness if that matters. I think the surfactant action is probably similar with most of these casing agents like CarvEze, ProCarv, and others. I know a guy who uses a surfactant Amway makes, there are the range of dishsoaps, etc. I like the ProCarv for the antifungal now, and the ease of use.

Bruce Johnson