cityclip

31-15 compatibility with servo motor

Hi,

This my first post here. I'm learning to make shoes.

I've been doing a considerable amount of research into sewing machines. As a beginner, I'd like a nice slow machine with a lot of control and good torque. I'm under the impression that the best combo for me is a 31-15 with a servo motor. Trouble is, the servo motors I'm finding all have a V belt type of wheel. The 31-15 uses a leather belt if I'm not mistaken. Is there some kind of conversion that I can do on either device? How do I tackle this compatibility problem?

Thanks.

Aaron

I have a V BELT ON MY 31-15. IT IS APP 3/8" WIDE, YOU WILL HAVE TO GO TO A SEWING MACHINE STORE

TO FIND THAT WIDTH, I DID.

Hi Aaron.

I'm going to add my 2 cents worth, although biased as it may be.

Why don't you just stop wasting your valuable time and order a new Artisan model A-100-2 LTHR stitcher for $895.00. or a Large rotating hook machine, an Artisan 5550- Big H for $1020.00?

Either machine will come with an Artisan electronic DC Servo Motor, a speed reducer (SR-2), automatic lubrication, a roller presser foot, and even a LIFETIME WARRANTY. Both stitchers have a reverse mechanism for back tacking and reverse stitching.

Your new Artisan machine will sew better than any 31-15 or 31-20 ever did on its best day and will be quiet and trouble free.

You will not be getting a 50 to 80 year old hunk of iron in who knows what condition.

That's what I would do.

Jerry

Artisan 888 838 1408

PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS SITE INTO AN INFORMERCIAL> Greg

Hi Aaron.

I'm going to add my 2 cents worth, although biased as it may be.

Why don't you just stop wasting your valuable time and order a new Artisan model A-100-2 LTHR stitcher for $895.00. or a Large rotating hook machine, an Artisan 5550- Big H for $1020.00?

Either machine will come with an Artisan electronic DC Servo Motor, a speed reducer (SR-2), automatic lubrication, a roller presser foot, and even a LIFETIME WARRANTY. Both stitchers have a reverse mechanism for back tacking and reverse stitching.

Your new Artisan machine will sew better than any 31-15 or 31-20 ever did on its best day and will be quiet and trouble free.

You will not be getting a 50 to 80 year old hunk of iron in who knows what condition.

That's what I would do.

Jerry

Artisan 888 838 1408

I've been looking for a servo for my 30-15 also...palming the flywheel is not my cup of tea. I got mine for $75, with two home machines thrown in.

I did see a consew servo on ebay for $119...that's the best price I've seen new, but, I sure would feel better getting used for $50, if there be such an animal

Artisan's servo was about $225, I think.

I can't afford another new leather machine yet like the artisans mentioned. I have the 3000, but need a machine I don't have to keep readjusting for smaller projects. For the time being my 30-15 should work.

Luke's vbelt suggestion makes me happy, now I'll keep looking for the cheap servo.

I also have a Adler 30-1, which works okay, but I am still waiting for a part from Adler...that reminds me, I should call them. MY leather jacket will be the one I experiment putting patches on...lol

New machines are wonderful, but there's nothing wrong with old machines. They fill the niches, and have survived the test of time. Do I want the Ferrari?...Of course. But the old mini pickup gets me around for now.

Greg

My purpose was not to try to do as you suggested, but to try to help people without a lot of experience.

I do not want people to get ripped off either.

I thought that was the whole purpose of this site.

To exchange information between people with common needs, ideas and to help others.

Jerry

I'm always glad to see the Artisan guys. I wish more suppliers came on the board.

Jerry, maybe you could help cityclip and me with our question about round flywheel to vbelt conversions. Also do you have any returned servos that you have refurbished or some similar type deal we could use to hook these 30-15s up.

I use a servo motor on singer 31-15, it works great and gives me lots of control.I use a V belt as well, I get mine from napa auto parts.These old singers maybe old, but they where built in America in an era where quality was the best.

steve

Hi Guys,

I don't know where you gre getting your motors from, but the 500 watt motors go for about $160, you might find some cheaper, and they will defiantly be more expensive if they have the needle positioner. I have found that these motors are generally commodity items and if the price is cheaper, then the motor seems to be cheaper also. I have found most of the belts I need at NAPA, for something exotic you need to call Gates Rubber and find out who distributes for them in your area; these places most often have any type or size of pully you need -- just take the old one along so they can see what you really need.

I don't mind if the vendors occasionally come on board with a suggestion, actually, I wish more did it. There are a few of us here that won't let them blow smoke up anyone's kilt (or skirt), and I won't let anyone abuse this forum with advertising. The Singer 31 class is a good machine as are some of the other older iron, however in my experience, a new machine will lay down a better stitch, top and bottom, than an older one. The new machines are tighter and the technology is more advanced especially in the areas of precision and metallurgy. Nonetheless, an old machine in fine shape and at a good price may be the ticket for the financially challenged. If it is your first sewing machine, try if you possibly can to get a new one from a real dealer or distributor, someone you can pester with questions while you are learning.

Art

Sorry, it's still not clear to me. Is there some kind of different fly wheel that I can buy for the 31-15 that can take a V belt?

Cityclip, I use the original pully wheel on the machine, My v-belt is small 1/4 inch or 3/8 and is compatable with the machine and the motor.

Some of the 31 class machines were shipped from the Singer Sewing Machine Factory in Elizabeth Port N.J. with a round groove, designed for a 5/32" diameter round leather belt and mounted on a foot powered treadle "Table" for tailors, etc or from a "line shaft". The handwheels with pulleys designed for v-belts were originally intended by Singer to be sold for "factory" production manufacturing, or in other words to be operated from a "safety table" with some kind of a motorized transmitter or motor.

Singer model 31 class machines were manufactured for many many years. It was a successful design, inexpensive to produce and was an amazingly good product for its time. They were produced in several countries around the world in various forms from about 1895 to just a few years ago. In fact copies are still manufactured in India and Russia. Although the materials are not the same as when Singer poured castings in New Jersey and Connecticut, literally threw them out in the snow and summer heat for a few years before machining and assembling them, some poorer countries still use a 31 style machine for tailoring purposes.

Jerry

Thanks Art, always very useful information...appreciate it.

Thanks to JerryZ too. You made me look closer at my pully wheel. It has a round leather belt, but after looking at it, it has a v groove...woohah. Mine must be one of those industrial ones set up for the vee. Now just have to find a motor.

cityclip, hope yours is the same, although both steveh and Luke say it will work anyways, but here's Gates Rubber in case: http://www.gates.com/

Some of the 31 class machines were shipped from the Singer Sewing Machine Factory in Elizabeth Port N.J. with a round groove, designed for a 5/32" diameter round leather belt and mounted on a foot powered treadle "Table" for tailors, etc or from a "line shaft". The handwheels with pulleys designed for v-belts were originally intended by Singer to be sold for "factory" production manufacturing, or in other words to be operated from a "safety table" with some kind of a motorized transmitter or motor.

Singer model 31 class machines were manufactured for many many years. It was a successful design, inexpensive to produce and was an amazingly good product for its time. They were produced in several countries around the world in various forms from about 1895 to just a few years ago. In fact copies are still manufactured in India and Russia. Although the materials are not the same as when Singer poured castings in New Jersey and Connecticut, literally threw them out in the snow and summer heat for a few years before machining and assembling them, some poorer countries still use a 31 style machine for tailoring purposes.

Jerry

I believe that there were two different handwheels. The larger treadle 6-spoke handwheel #2135 was both larger in diameter and heavier than the smaller 5-spoke #12358, and for a couple of reasons. Mainly to provide added momentum to assist the treadle effort, and secondly, to allow a "Stop Motion Device" to be included that allowed the pulley to run free, making it possible to wind bobbins without the mechanism turning.

I'm in the process of setting up a 31-15 combo treadle/electric table at the shop. I have a couple of heads, one with a large wheel and one with a small wheel. I'll be using the large wheel because I want to be able to treadle mine. I just have to decide which head I'm going to use. If I can remember the next time I go to the shop, I'll try to get some photos of the pulley grooves for a comparison.

....I'll try to get some photos of the pulley grooves for a comparison.

Here are the handwheel/pully comparison photos:

Another one here with a 31-15. I have the five spoke handwheel with a v-belt.Dave