David

Signature Seat #3

I've been on vacation, so this seat has come together a lot faster than most that are this complicated to tool.

These seats have been a lot of fun, it isn't often that a builder gives his seat guy this much free reign in the seat design.

Anyway, here is seat #3 of the six.

David Theobald

DSC_0001_099.JPG

DSC_0003_101.JPG

DSC_0002_100.JPG

post-5652-126244121518_thumb.jpg

post-5652-126244123059_thumb.jpg

post-5652-126244124167_thumb.jpg

Thanks Brad,

They are a lot of work but so far are coming out ok.

Dave

You went and did it again David ....great work ...WELL DONE...Doc...

another masterpiece....will it be the same color as the others?

another masterpiece....will it be the same color as the others?

I think I'm going to do some selective dyeing on this one along with some block out to retain some of the natural light color.

I'll post it when it is finished.

Thanks for taking a look.

Dave

Dave looks great like normal, quick question for you, I bought Fiebing's Tan dye(spirit base) and the tan is more like dark brown. It's nothing like the color swatch, should I reduce this dye to get the lighter color? If I reducer, will i get a consistant color or will it be splotchey unless i use an airbrush? Thanks Dave!!

Another fantastic seat, Dave! Can't wait to see the bike they slap to the bottom of this baby!

my favorite so far ! can't wait to see it finished up

Time to put on another bag of popcorn! :popcorn: The carving is gorgeous, as always. Look forward to seeing the dye job.

Kate

Dave looks great like normal, quick question for you, I bought Fiebing's Tan dye(spirit base) and the tan is more like dark brown. It's nothing like the color swatch, should I reduce this dye to get the lighter color? If I reducer, will i get a consistant color or will it be splotchey unless i use an airbrush? Thanks Dave!!

Tom,

I'm not sure of the answer here. I can tell you that a mis-marked bottle from Fiebings is almost "business as usual"... I've had 3 jars of mis-marked antique paste from them.

As far as reducing, I don't reduce and I only use an airbrush. I wish I could be of more help.

Dave

Thank you everyone for taking a look at seat #3......If this gets boring, let me know.....

Dave

Signature seat #3 is finished.

Let me know what you think.

The first picture is of the seat with the lacing finished and neatsfoot oil applied.

The second picture is of the finished seat with no flash

The third picture is of the finished seat with a flash

The actual look of the seat is somewhere between the two.

The antiquing is still wet in these pictures

Thanks for taking a look

Dave

DSC_0001_102.JPG

DSC_0002_103.JPG

DSC_0003_104.JPG

post-5652-126255800674_thumb.jpg

post-5652-126255802396_thumb.jpg

post-5652-126255803567_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

The first picture is of the seat with the lacing finished and neatsfoot oil applied.

The second picture is of the finished seat with no flash

The third picture is of the finished seat with a flash

The third photo has less glare and the lighting appears more even than the one you took with no flash, but the white balance is a bit on the red side. I think it would improve it if you can adjust the white balance setting of your camera.

Beautiful seat, either way!

Kate

Beautiful as always Dave, just curious as to why you left part of the dragon scale free?

Thanks for taking a look everyone.

Part of the dragon was left without scales because more scales would have just been too much......it would have blurred the edge shared with the koi and just made the entire composition too busy. Funny thing about designing artwork, you have to know when to stop.

Dave

David ; talking about when to stop....years ago a lady freind and artist told me ( less is more) leave some things not done so the veiwers (minds eye) will have some thing to discover no one else see's ..Doc.... I believe it may have been better to faint the scales not omit them . would give a vision of depth with out being to bussy in that area .....design work is fun ..but has its problems also ....great work and good luck ....

Edited by terrahyd

David ; talking about when to stop....years ago a lady freind and artist told me ( less is more) leave some things not done so the veiwers (minds eye) will have some thing to discover no one else see's ..Doc.... I believe it may have been better to faint the scales not omit them . would give a vision of depth with out being to bussy in that area .....design work is fun ..but has its problems also ....great work and good luck ....

That's pretty darn good advice. You gotta leave some thing to the imagination if you want to engage the viewer.

Gave the seat to Jeff today. "My favorite so far" according to him. He liked the different colors on the seat....using various dyes, antiques and super sheen.

I've given him three seats now and he hasn't finished the second bike yet........It's gonna be all black and chrome. So it looks like a can take a bit of a break before starting seat #4.

Thanks to all for looking

Dave

I don't need to say it, but that is amazing David! Great job!

Dave,

It goes without question you are one of the most talented seat makers I know. The color combination on this seat is phenomenal! Great job!!

Thanks all for taking a look at the seats.

The nice words mean a lot.

Dave

I've been on vacation, so this seat has come together a lot faster than most that are this complicated to tool.

These seats have been a lot of fun, it isn't often that a builder gives his seat guy this much free reign in the seat design.

Anyway, here is seat #3 of the six.

David Theobald

David ,I read in one of your posts that you use 1/4in lace . About how many yards of lace does it take for one of your seats..Thanks..