simontuntelder

Splitter/skiver Comparison - Heritage Vs Campbell Randall Vs ?

I've decided that this year's Christmas present for myself is going to be a skiver/splitter. Mainly if not only to speed up the lap skiving process.

Therefore I think I've found two good alternatives in two different price ranges. So basically I'm looking for opinions, experiences on either machine or other alternatives to them both (not Tandy or in this case a used machine)

1. Heritage Leather Splitter (weaver economy)

http://www.sdtradingco.com/Splitters.htm

2. Campbell Randall Keystone copy

http://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=splitter&product_id=13842

There's a big price difference, but I don't mind paying for quality, but I just want to know, if I can justify the price difference. So help break it down for me.

Thanks

We have one of the Heritage Professional #65-6100 Leather Splitter/Skiver It is a solid machine and get's used a lot .. We thin a lot of belt ends down with it..

Hi Itch, thanks for responding.

I thought about that one as well, however I believe it's even more expensive than the CR, but not that it's a problem.

I'll throw that one into the mix.

I would add that I know of 3 or 4 Amish shops that use the one that I mentioned , they pull some very Dry Harness and Bridle through theirs and that is why we purchased this one..

If the price really doesn't determine then I would go for the Campbell. Or find another copy of the Osborne #84. They are multiple lifetime investments. Mine began life in Miles City, Montana in the 1910's and is still suitable to pass on to somebody else. And bigger blades are always easier to sharpen/strop than smaller ones. IMHO

Another vote with OlToot. I've had one of the new Randall Keystones here that was good and wouldn't hesitate on recommending it. Blade is sharpened to better angle than the imports. I wouldn't look past a good old Osborne #84 either. An older one with a good blade is just what he said. If you are determined to buy new, look at the new Osborne #84s. I have now bought two 84 replacement blades to go on older 84s I have refurbished. I don't know what happened with Osborne but the quality decline on some of their other tools has NOT transferred over to the new #84 blades. They are bimetal blades that are really good and finished well. The only difference between new and older CSO #84 frames is they went with a smaller thread on the handle.

Thanks for your valuable input. I sort of already knew that the Campbell Randall was the one to put my money on. I was just hoping for some extremely good feedback on the Weaver economy splitter (which I thought was US-made according to a seller) and would have saved me some money to put into other tools. However I'll contact Campbell Randall and get a quote.

AT Bruce, I went to see an older leatherworker who offered to sell me his Blanchard skiver, however the blade was dull at some areas and sharp at others and basically just warped. And that has also been my experience in the past, so I've decided to go with a new one in this case, though I wouldn't have hesitated buying one from you.

Are there any other good Keystone copies around?

Simon, I have the Heritage #65-6100 (Pro) splitter/skiver and am very happy with it. I think it compares nicely with my Saddle Maker mentor's vintage Osborne in its use and effectiveness. With any splitter you have some work to do on the blade to get it really sharp, but after that the mechanics of the different hand splitters are similar, with one key exception that I will get into. Splitting with a good one once the blade is sharp and adjusted properly is pretty straight forward. Be advised, though, that there is a fairly steep learning curve figuring out how to skive with one, but like anything else, practice makes perfect. Skiving with a hand splitter/skiver is like rubbing your tummy and scratching your head at the same time. Maybe you are more coordinated than I. :)

I can tell you one key thing about the economy Heritage model, and it's the reason I saved up for the pro model. The economy model lacks the pro model's locking stop feature. That makes it at least 10 times more difficult to use! With the locking stop, you can set the minimum thickness to be split to. This way you can start your split and use progressive pressure on the twist handle to split down to that minimum thickness as you pull the sample through. Then if you keep slight pressure on the handle the remainder of your split will be of uniform thickness thanks to that locking stop. Lacking this important feature means that you cannot mechanically set the minimum thickness; you must control it through the sureness of your hand. That makes it nearly impossible to split to a set thickness and it makes it so, so, so incredibly easy to just cut right on through and ruin your project.

My advise is to avoid the economy Heritage model. I think you would not be happy with it. I might also mention that the Tandy "Deluxe" Leather Splitter is roughly equivalent to the Heritage Economy Splitter in that it also lacks a locking stop. I'm afraid that, for me, it is worth paying extra for that one feature. You would ruin a lot of leather without it. If you look closely, That Campbell-Randall splitter also has a locking stop. I think you would do well with either the Pro Heritage or the CR splitter.

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

December got busy, and I still haven't ordered a splitter, but as I was browsing around, looking for one, I came across this auction.

Would this be considered a good deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heritage-Leather-Skiver-Splitter-/251777581359

I really appreciate everybody's input.

Hard to tell, 12" claim is suspect but looks to be in great shape. I would try to find info on the new like this and decice from there

Edited by oltoot

December got busy, and I still haven't ordered a splitter, but as I was browsing around, looking for one, I came across this auction.

Would this be considered a good deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heritage-Leather-Skiver-Splitter-/251777581359

I really appreciate everybody's input.

Mine is just short of 12" wide overall, cutting width is 8". I bought mine new for much more than that wholesale. I am very pleased with mine. If I didn't have mine I'd probably snatch this one.

Jeremy

Is it possible to split leather that's actually about 6" wide or is it just for belt straps that these splitters will work?

So I figured I should probably give a follow up on the talk about splitters. I was about to order the heritage splitter directly from Weaver, when I stumbled upon one from a gentleman from Germany (neighboring country) who apparently ordered it from Weaver himself and never really used it or maybe did it twice according to himself.

Looking at the pictures it seems to be in perfect condition and I saved $450 in vat, fees and taxes.

Now I just have to wait a couple of days before it shows up on my doorstep.

The Campbell Keystone splitter can be made to work pretty good but you have to machine a new part.

Those of you that have one know that the stop (a thumb-screwed piece of metal on the curved scale that sets the thickness) does not hold. The stop makes contact in only one spot on the curved bar it rides on and the locking handle moves it (rocks it one direction or the other). Also, when the handle is tightened down (by twisting) the locking-wedge the handle pushes against the curved bar forcably moves the stop.

I discussed this with Campbell- Randall and they agreed that my idea would probably work -- they said they knew about the problem and knew that the stop needed to be made differently, but thought it would add to their production cost. Anyway, The thing works pretty good if you throw away their thumb-screw stop and make one that has a longer bottom so that the bottom contacts the curved rail in two spots, make the slot in the stop closer to the size of the curved rail, install a tention screw from the top down onto the top of the curved rail and machine out clearance for the wedge in the handle that comes down from the top so the handle and not the wedge makes contact with the new stop. I drilled and tapped for a screw in the new stop to hold a piece of piano wire bent and extended over the scale on the machine.

Making a new stop is kind of a pain in the rear but is the only way to get the thickness adjustment to be repeatable. I fiddled and fiddled and called Campbell-Randall but was unable to repeat a given thickness due to the stop rocking and getting moved by hitting it or by the wedge forcing it to move. Fortunately, I have milling machine and welders to fabricate it and it only took a couple hours -- but was well worth it.

If there is any interest I can post pics of what I made.

Edited by Robb0b

My Heritage splitting 6" of W & C veg to 3 oz. I pulled with 2 hands as my friend set the handle. Fairly new machine, only stropped the blade. post-29226-0-38799100-1446520413_thumb.jpost-29226-0-13568500-1446520431_thumb.j

Edited by J Hayes

For pulling wider strips, try one of these sheet metal vice grips. They grip uniformly, making for fewer twists, turns and bulges in the splits.

http://www.rona.ca/images/0244009_L.jpg

Michelle

Yeah, had one of those in my hands at a yard sale, still not sure why I put it back.

I was very surprised I was able to pull that and have it come out as nice as it did, that blade scares me a bit....

Yes, it terrifies me, especially when I loosen one side of the blade to strop it.

Even though I'm very cautious around it when it's just sitting there I'm afraid I'll brush my hand across it. So I found myself a good sturdy cardboard box the ideal dimensions to cover up the splitter. I put it upside down over it when I'm not using the thing. I did put a hole in it for the handle but that isn't going to cut anyone.

My saddle maker mentor has his bolted perpendicularly to like a 3" x 6" plank that fits solidly like a tenon into a "mortis" built into his workbench. He takes it out only when he needs it.

Michelle

My saddle maker mentor has his bolted perpendicularly to like a 3" x 6" plank that fits solidly like a tenon into a "mortis" built into his workbench. He takes it out only when he needs it.

Michelle

I saw that set up in a picture on here somewhere, I did the same with mine and hang it in the corner far out of the way, very cautious getting it down and putting it away. I strop mine with the blade in place, dislike messing with it to much

We have one of the Heritage Professional #65-6100 Leather Splitter/Skiver It is a solid machine and get's used a lot .. We thin a lot of belt ends down with it..

How wide of a piece have you been able to split? And will this type of tool split softer oil tanned leathers?

Just curious, increases the versatility of the thicker leather that i have on hand

If you have any questions on either of Weaver's skivers shoot me a PM. Neither of ours are completely made in the USA. They are both assembled locally and tested at Weaver, and the blades are both made at a local machine shop, the blades on these come super sharp but covered in a rubberized coating you need to use a few times to wear off before it works like it should. The castings are imported on either option.

The link to S&D Trading has better prices then we offer retail ourselves. I am not sure if you are able to buy wholesale or not, if so let me know and we can get you setup.

If you have any questions on either of Weaver's skivers shoot me a PM. Neither of ours are completely made in the USA. They are both assembled locally and tested at Weaver, and the blades are both made at a local machine shop, the blades on these come super sharp but covered in a rubberized coating you need to use a few times to wear off before it works like it should. The castings are imported on either option.

The link to S&D Trading has better prices then we offer retail ourselves. I am not sure if you are able to buy wholesale or not, if so let me know and we can get you setup.

You guys do a great job on that blade IMO, I was able to pull a 6" wide piece of W&C through my 8" Heritage Professional. I did swap out the depth stop thumb screw for something a bit bigger, but I'm very very pleased with mine.

You guys do a great job on that blade IMO, I was able to pull a 6" wide piece of W&C through my 8" Heritage Professional. I did swap out the depth stop thumb screw for something a bit bigger, but I'm very very pleased with mine.

Yes, they are razors when new. We also offer a sharpening service in case you weren't aware.