Sign in to follow this  
teamroperdad

Saddle making classes

I thought I saw a flyer on saddle making classes to start in january at hidecrafters about a month ago but didn't think to

pick one up. Does anyone have any info on this or did I dream it. When they start, the cost and duration of the class.

I'd like to make my grandson a saddle for his b-day and have no saddle making experience. Is there a good dvd lesson

plan out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that you all would recomend? Let me know.

Thanks All!!

Hey teamroperdad!

At the risk of sounding like a former President, it really depends on what you mean by "an arm and a leg." Carlos and I have all the VHS and DVD's from Dusty Johnson and Bill Gomer through Dale Harwood's in the shop and we will throw one into the player to watch while we're doing a restoration on a saddle, or hand sewing a skirt. For my money, the best DVD's on saddle making for the beginner are the Jeremiah Watt set from ranch2arena. They are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but they are the most detailed explanation of all the steps required that I've seen. Dale Harwood's are excellent, but some of the steps are not mentioned. I'd guess he is assuming some experience on the part of the viewer. If you've built a couple of saddles, you recognize the technique that he has performed, but you also know that you wouldn't have understood it without explanation if you were completely inexperienced. Watt not only discusses, but takes great pains to show on camera, all of the steps regardless of how basic.

As for cost, when you take into account the money you will (should) spend on high quality materials and parts, I see no reason to try to go cheap on your instruction. Those DVS's are a fraction of what you'd spend going to a live-in school for 3 - 5 weeks. As my Daddy used to say, "If it was easy, anybody could do it!"

Hope this helps.

Mike

Your right if its worth the money I dont mind spendin it, but I've paid a good price and been dissatisfied in the end.

I'll give the Watts site a visit.

Thanks for the reply.

For those interested in saddle making class and/or boot repair and would like to come to Ronan, Montana, classes are offered at Muley Bluz and Cowboys Toys. I have been making saddles and leather goods for 15 years. Only 1 or 2 people/class. You will make two saddles; one for the shop and one for yourself during a 6 week class. We furnish all the materials and tools for this course. For more information call me at 406-676-3900 or email me at steve@cowboystoys.com .