Sign in to follow this  
McJeep

Need Suggestions For Making Templates

I want to maker a tank bra for my bike that incorporates wraparounds right by the seat to alleviate the ever present scratching of the tank at it's corners. Have been trying to mock up a decent template all afternoon with light posterboard but of course all of the compound curves of the tank makes it almost impossible. What other material do you folks suggest? I'm thinking that maybe some kind of almost flexible but not too stretchy plastic/vinyl would work? If it was transparent that would be even better.

Want the final piece to look similar to this (shapewise) but with it widening and wrapping the corners at the bottom

tank-bra-1.jpg Any and all ideas appreciated :):):)

Rob

You might try a 10 ounce duck canvas. I have gotten this at Wal Mart or if you have fabric shops locally, you might try there.

The probable advantage would be that it doesn't stretch (a lot, if at all) and you can mark it out with a pencil for easy corrections. Another thing is that you can trim to fit as needed with ease.

If the tank isn't aluminum or stainless steel, you can use small magnets to hold the canvas in place as you go.

Hope this helps.

You might try a 10 ounce duck canvas.

I'll give that a shot - gotta be better than what I tried today - I'll be able to feel the contours through it as well

Thanks for the tip :)

I have used heavy clear shower curtains to template diff'' shapes ????cheap; draw with a pin; cuts easly...Doc...

I've done some patterns by covering the object with plastic wrap, then, packing tape over that. Draw out your pattern with a sharpie, cut the whole thing away from the tank. Next, trim out the pattern. The hard part will be figuring out how to cut the curves to make a flat pattern so that the seams will look good on the finished product. hope this helps.

John

Hmmmmm, two more good ideas - <thinkthinkthink>

I'm hoping to wet form it John so fingers are crossed for not needing to have any seems - maybe just one at the very tail of the tank where there's a fairly sharp compound bend :) Only other real concern is whether the velcro on the holding tabs (wrapped under the tank) will put up with the heat of the engine - shouldn't be too too bad as it's water cooled so not as hot as some others :)

Mc Jeep, i have used ...Heavy duty aluminm foil for the contours, hope it helps you.

Mc Jeep, i have used ...Heavy duty aluminm foil for the contours, hope it helps you.

Works pretty well for hats too.......

Ya know, I've got no idea why I didn't ask here FIRST instead of spending 3 hours trying to fart around and make the posterboard work <shakingmyhead>

Will try these out tomorrow when i get some more shop time. Good thing I'm already waiting for my fender to come back and a special wrench to come in so I can do the valves or I'd be getting antsy about this - the weather is outstanding and I can't ride cuz the bike's up on a stand!

Thanks peeps :)

Works pretty well for hats too.......

Too funny :0) The answer is out there ;0)

You might want to try tinfoil as a base to get the shapes and then use duct tape to hold it all in position as you remove the 'mold' . Then split the mold down into segments that can be reproduced in leather. Just an idea...

...and don't forget to make yourself that hat.

Ray

Actually, what's brewing in my noggin is to get some low tack from a craft store so that it'll stay where I put it. Then I can draw all over it with felt tips. Then once I know what the outline will be I'm gonna laminate it with duct tape as you suggest. Once I pull it off the tank I'll cut the reliefs so I can flatten the pattern. I'll need to do some final trimming on the leather of course once I'm done wet molding but this *should* get me pretty close?

I guess I won't be able to do any tooling (celtic) on the bra because I'll loose it when I soak the leather for molding? I can dress it up with braid and stitching tho ;0)