JoelR

I bit on the 1.99/ft pigskin at Tandy

I've been looking for a sale on pigskin to try it as lining for holsters. Finally got some from tandy that is super smooth on the flesh side and about 75% usable on the hair side. So, other than for lining material, is this really useful for anything else?

I have 2-3oz and it seams stretchy. Is this normal?

I cut a stip and doubled it over to see how it would work for straps and find that it does not take a burnish very well. Is this normal? Being as thin as it is I could always fold to the center to hide the seam and try some decorative stitching to hold it all together.

If all I can do is use it for lining, no big deal. I may make a fold-over glasses case with it just for kicks and to see how well my old White Rotary will sew leather.

Damn, no one's worked with it and no one has any other uses for it than as lining. Boy do I have a lot of lined holsters to make to recover my costs Holysheep.gif .

And, since it is Halloween setup day:

rip_1.gifrip_1.gifrip_1.gifrip_1.gifrip_1.gifrip_1.gifrip_1.gifrip_1.gifrip_1.gifrip_1.gif

All I've ever done is line with it, if it the pig I am thinking of. The stuff I got in the past was a little stretchy, but not quite that thick. A scrap of it is gauging right at 1-1/2 oz.

I use pig all of the time but always as a lining. It does great lining holsters, belts, cell phone cases, small pouches. The stuff I use comes in at 1-1 1/2oz thu, like stated above. With the pig I have I also use it for my wallet inners. 3oz would be too thich for that. Sounds like it time to experiment with some new project ideas, if you still have the pig. I know this post has been on here for a while.

Hope it helps,

Tom

I still have a good bit of it. Been using it as holster liners and belt liners and anywhere else I need a thin but durible leather. Even cut a few 8.5x11 sheets of it and played with printing on it through my inkjet (which actually worked but the colors do not come out very well) I have noticed the hair side does not take dyes very well but most everything I have used it for has had the flesh side exposed. Did find the old White sewed two layers fairly well, but anything more than that bound it up but I have picked up a CB2500 since the OP if I really need to do any thicker machine stitching. Only issue I have had with it for lining is the edge really needs roughed up before gluing so it holds securely along the edges otherwise, since it has no body of its own, it will pull away and curl where slide-stops and other attachemnts catch the edge. I'm working on a case for a buddy's Shuffle Board weights so the rest that I have will probably become the lining on this project and the stretchyness will be a help in this regard.

I use pig all of the time but always as a lining. It does great lining holsters, belts, cell phone cases, small pouches. The stuff I use comes in at 1-1 1/2oz thu, like stated above. With the pig I have I also use it for my wallet inners. 3oz would be too thich for that. Sounds like it time to experiment with some new project ideas, if you still have the pig. I know this post has been on here for a while.

Hope it helps,

Tom

I use the pig on my wallet inners. The wallet in my back pocket is 10 plus years old and like new pig inners. :smashcomp: