Kerry Gunn

Help With My Singer 31-15

I have a Singer 31-15. I am pretty new at using this machine. It is not picking up the bobbing thread. Not sure what is wrong. Timing? If so how do I time it. I would appreciate any help i can get. Thanks.

Are you using the proper needle system (16x257, DBx1, DBx257, or 1738)? If you got the machine with the wrong needles, they may be too long or too short.

If the needle is not correctly aligned it will not pick up the bobbin thread. Verify that it is fully inserted up into the needle bar and that the cutout section around the eye is on the right. The thread must feed through the eye from left to right.

Have you threaded the machine correctly (see photos below)? Is the bobbin thread coming out from under the bobbin tension spring opening, as in the photo below? Is the bobbin case snapped into the retainer in the shuttle housing?

If the needle is installed as I described and a threaded bobbin is in the bobbin case, with thread sticking out a few inches, and the top thread is correctly fed through the guides and tensioners, the usual cause of failed stitching is that the needle bar has slipped in its mount, from heavy impacts trying to sew hard leather and needs to be retimed. This may require personal assistance to teach you to set the eye of the needle in exactly the correct position for the shuttle point to pick off the loop..

post-11118-037137900 1338439480_thumb.jp post-11118-006857800 1338439502_thumb.jp post-11118-008188300 1338439513_thumb.jp post-11118-001058100 1338439467_thumb.jp

Wiz,

'By the book', needle system for Singer 31-15 is 16X1, Singer Catalog # 2047.

Now, we DO use and sell to folks system 16X87 (AKA 71X1, & 16X73), Singer Catalog # 1526, for 31-15 as well. As it is with needles, it's never straight forward.

If your using 16X257 in your machine and have it set properly and it works, great, but we normally would not sell this needle for this machine.

Hi Wiz and Gregg. You both are right. There are so many variances with the 31-15, but if they are set right they will all work. In a pinch, I have used home machine needles, and even 135X17 needles. Hope you both are doing well. Steve

Gregg;

My 31-15 is very old. I believe it is older than 1920. The machine came with DBx1 needles when I got it. They are perfectly centered in the hole in the throat plate. I have some old stock of system 134 needles that I wanted to use in the machine, but, they hit to the left of center in the hole. Some work okay, others skip stitches. The DBx1 work perfectly. Maybe my needle bar was made for these needles back then.

Gregg;

My 31-15 is very old. I believe it is older than 1920. The machine came with DBx1 needles when I got it. They are perfectly centered in the hole in the throat plate. I have some old stock of system 134 needles that I wanted to use in the machine, but, they hit to the left of center in the hole. Some work okay, others skip stitches. The DBx1 work perfectly. Maybe my needle bar was made for these needles back then.

Yeah man, no doubt. Not right or wrong, if it works, it works. My father has a few 31-15s with original paint AND original gold leaf paint. He does not have a lot of old machines, but he also has a Howe as well in his family room with stand. Some poeple go crazy over this stuff.

Thanks Gregg, Steve and Wiz.

Gregg was exactly right. I did try a shorter needle and was able to move the needle up far enough to catch the bobbin thread. I am pretty new at using this and learning by trial and error mostly. I am so happy I found this site and you wonderful people. You are a great help to me!! I appreciate it.