Shorts

Customers asking for credit on parts

I have a customer interested in a holster that uses several belt clips. He stated he already has the same clips and is asking if he could get a credit since I wouldn't have to utilize a set on the holster.

I'm torn between being flexible and 'pleasant to work with' and not giving my stuff away. I already have material in my inventory, my money's already spent.

What would you do?

I have a customer interested in a holster that uses several belt clips. He stated he already has the same clips and is asking if he could get a credit since I wouldn't have to utilize a set on the holster.

I'm torn between being flexible and 'pleasant to work with' and not giving my stuff away. I already have material in my inventory, my money's already spent.

What would you do?

I'd tell him nicely, but firmly that the price is the same, whether or not it comes with a clip. Tell him you'd be happy to keep the clip if he doesn't want/need it.

What would you do?

Ask him if he takes his own food to a restaurant to have the chef cook it.

I wouldn't do it. Let him return the clips to where he bought them.

Hi Monica,

It is simple. For product liability reasons, you must use the clips that you provide. You have no idea where the clips came from, if she is a LEO, she will understand chain of custody, it is kind of like that.

If you do it for one, everyone will start bringing you stuff. "Can you make a holster for my Sig, here's some leather, can I get a credit for the leather?"; that just isn't going to work.

Art

What would you do?

Excellent Art. It did run through my head, "What clips and will they work anyway?". But that's probably the best approach to take there, liability. Especially in regard to holsters.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Hill, straight forward. Kustom, hilarious but I don't have the brass to say that :rofl:

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't give the credit for the clips. How does about 5 cents per clip sound? thats fair right?

Now the customer can decide how bad they want a credit. What are people thinking? this isn't wal-mart Good luck, James

Edited by 2MadJacks

You know what I say? "I do not charge extra for using your materials." That way they know what a DEAL they are getting. :)

In addition to what Art said, I had similar experience. I used to do some engraving and people tried to give me "their" item (spoon, vase, buckle, etc) to engrave. Problem was that If I accidently slipped or it broke, what am I replacing it with. Customers seem to understand that if yours breaks, you can go to the supplier and get replacement for defective one. If you use theirs, and it breaks, what then?

Regis

Same price with clips or without, you might mention, since they already have the clips they might as well go ahead and make their own holster to go with them!

Hi Monica,

Balance is the key.... Just give em' your biggest smile when you tell them that you're soooo sorry, but you just can't do that. :)

Kevin

You know, I've been selling my work for at least ten years. I do wood, leather,bone...lots of different things.

One of the *worst* mistakes I have made repeatedly is being too flexible. Once your customers start to chisel you, they don' t stop in my experience.

It's one thing if someone asks if I can swap out a cord in on a pendant for a different color of similar make and price. That's easy- I'm happy, they are happy. If someone asked me for a discount for *removing* the cord, well, then that's a no-go. It's a set. The cord can be left with me, they can throw it away. If they "upgrade" to a chain, it's the same deal. The cord is "free" with the necklace- the pendant is "free" with the price of the cord on the card it came on. I'd tell them the clip comes with the work. If they don't want the complimentary clip, they can give it back to you at the same price as you were "giving it to them" along with paying what your materials and work is worth.

It's really hard to not want to be nice to your customers in this economy. I dare say it's even harder when you are a female crafter, to be honest. "Girl training" both tends to instruct women to be flexible, *and* for people (both women and men) to expect a little extra "nice" from us-even if it means undervaluing your work, or doing something the "guy" in the next booth wouldn't do. It's none of the customer's business what you pay for your hardware anyway! If he wants a holster "special" for the clip he's got at home, I'd tell him I'd be happy to make him a custom piece at my usual rate.

What would you do?

This is like taking your car to a mechanic and saying, I already have the parts, will you fix it at a discounted rate? Most mechanics will charge extra for supplying your own parts.

Maybe say something like, I pay "whatever amount" for these clips and I can take that off the price but if I use your parts, there is no guarantee on the product.

Ok so I had this same issue this week I had a guy that wanted a holster he said he had the clips and the leather thread and snap, asked if it would be like 70% off my regular price?

I said well I can't waranty any of the stuff and I don't ever do a deal like that but if you would like I wil do it but the cost would be the same as always in fact it's more of a chore for me this way .

He said that he was not in the mood to deal with a jerk.

I thanked him for his time said have a nice day and that was that.

Josh

Edited by jbird

Ok so I had this same issue this week I had a guy that wanted a holster he said he had the clips and the leather thread and snap, asked if it would be like 70% off my regular price?

I said well I can't waranty any of the stuff and I don't ever do a deal like that but if you would like I wil do it but the cost would be the same as always in fact it's more of a chore for me this way .

He said that he was not in the mood to deal with a jerk.

I thanked him for his time said have a nice day and that was that.

Josh

The character of the customer was revealed pretty quick. Which is a good thing. Saved you some heartache and time.