I recently received another request for the Hank Sloan style holster, which was very popular for double-action revolvers back in the late 60's to early 80's or so. The basic concept involves an upward extention of the front holster panel to shield the hammer and/or rear sight, keeping those from snagging on the cover garment. This reduces "printing" and also keeps jacket linings from being ripped to shreds.

We saw a lot of these "back in the day", and they were quite popular with FBI agents during the years when double-action revolvers were the standard sidearm choice.

This one was made to fit a 3" S&W K-frame revolver for a retired federal officer whose original was lost in a fire.

Now, before we start getting all worked up and swooning about exposed trigger guards, I promise that I won't post photos of the old clam-shell duty holsters! As the name implies, those were made with a steel hinge along the rear seam, and opened up at the press of a button. Where was the button? Right underneath the trigger guard, all you had to do was stick your trigger finger through the exposed trigger guard and push the button and, presto, your revolver was in your hand and ready for action, with your finger on the trigger!

post-7487-071338300 1307888290_thumb.jpg

post-7487-028437800 1307888312_thumb.jpg

I recently received another request for the Hank Sloan style holster, which was very popular for double-action revolvers back in the late 60's to early 80's or so. The basic concept involves an upward extention of the front holster panel to shield the hammer and/or rear sight, keeping those from snagging on the cover garment. This reduces "printing" and also keeps jacket linings from being ripped to shreds.

We saw a lot of these "back in the day", and they were quite popular with FBI agents during the years when double-action revolvers were the standard sidearm choice.

This one was made to fit a 3" S&W K-frame revolver for a retired federal officer whose original was lost in a fire.

Now, before we start getting all worked up and swooning about exposed trigger guards, I promise that I won't post photos of the old clam-shell duty holsters! As the name implies, those were made with a steel hinge along the rear seam, and opened up at the press of a button. Where was the button? Right underneath the trigger guard, all you had to do was stick your trigger finger through the exposed trigger guard and push the button and, presto, your revolver was in your hand and ready for action, with your finger on the trigger!

Another classic extremely well done!

As to the old clamshelL......I have seen more than one of those open up unexpectedly. One in particular dumped a beautiful 4" Colt Python onto the blacktop. I actually carried one for a short time. The CA. Highway Patrol actually issued them at one time, I believe.

Mike

Another classic extremely well done!

As to the old clamshelL......I have seen more than one of those open up unexpectedly. One in particular dumped a beautiful 4" Colt Python onto the blacktop. I actually carried one for a short time. The CA. Highway Patrol actually issued them at one time, I believe.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. Actually, my comments about the old clam-shells was intended as a humorous aside for those who get the vapors any time they see a holster without trigger guard coverage! So many of the younger ones seem to get all queasy in their stomachs, probably have to sit down and do deep breathing exercises before they can type out a condemnation of any holster with open trigger guard!

The clam-shells proved to be problematic, not because of the exposed trigger guard but because of both unintenional opening and the occasional refusal to open. Both LAPD and CHP ended up banning them after several nasty incidents. Molded inner and outer shells, each with steel inserts, piano-style hinge, spring-loaded release button activating a lever to pop the shell open; pretty complicated to make, and complicated usually means unwanted malfunctions.

Not all of the old ideas were bad. The Hank Sloan style saved many an expensive suit coat lining, and similar designs might find a use on more up-to-date holster designs. It never hurts to exercise the gray matter a little bit.

When I was with Metro-Dade in the early to mid-70's, the Motor Squad Officers carried clamshells. One day the Director was on an inspection and he was reviewing the old crusty bike cops. The Sgt. called for "Inspection Arms" and everybody drew. The guy the director was facing had an AD a put one in the floor beween the Director's feet. Guys who were there said the Boss barely flinched and then told the cop, "You missed."

All of the motorcycle units had new holsters before the week was out, and I haven't see one since.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. Actually, my comments about the old clam-shells was intended as a humorous aside for those who get the vapors any time they see a holster without trigger guard coverage! So many of the younger ones seem to get all queasy in their stomachs, probably have to sit down and do deep breathing exercises before they can type out a condemnation of any holster with open trigger guard!

The clam-shells proved to be problematic, not because of the exposed trigger guard but because of both unintenional opening and the occasional refusal to open. Both LAPD and CHP ended up banning them after several nasty incidents. Molded inner and outer shells, each with steel inserts, piano-style hinge, spring-loaded release button activating a lever to pop the shell open; pretty complicated to make, and complicated usually means unwanted malfunctions.

Not all of the old ideas were bad. The Hank Sloan style saved many an expensive suit coat lining, and similar designs might find a use on more up-to-date holster designs. It never hurts to exercise the gray matter a little bit.

I have to agree with you as to some of the older designs. I personally believe that the Threeperson style (with a thong or thumb break) was/is one of the fastest wheelgun holsters made. A solid, simple design from which many good holsters were/are derived. Mike

Early in my career I carried a 4" S&W Model 66 as a duty weapon in a Bianci "Judge" clamshell holster. It was spring loaded at the back but you had to pull the weapon through the front against the spring pressure. It was a real pain in the a$$. Having to use both hands to put a weapon back in the holster made it totaly unacceptable for me.

For those that have never seen a clam shell holster , check out an old episode of Adam 12

How are us young guys supposed to get all queasy if you can't even show us a picture of the gun in the holster?

How are us young guys supposed to get all queasy if you can't even show us a picture of the gun in the holster?

OK Rayban ...... here is the one going to the local chapter of the "Friend's of the NRA" for their annual auction. A lot more 'fancy' than most of my stuff, but the same holster anyhoo. The more current version has a retention strap across the front of the hammer. This one is more historically correct, as most believe that the original had the thong ..... from somewhere between 1915 and 1920.or so. No one knows where that first one went. Mike

P.S. I think an old Model-19 blue steel shooter would look better in this one, rather than my old M-64. But I do believe that they are one of the fastest wheelgun holsters made .....with either the thong or a humb break.

005-3.jpg

Edited by katsass

OK Rayban ...... here is the one going to the local chapter of the "Friend's of the NRA" for their annual auction. A lot more 'fancy' than most of my stuff, but the same holster anyhoo. The more current version has a retention strap across the front of the hammer. This one is more historically correct, as most believe that the original had the thong ..... from somewhere between 1915 and 1920.or so. No one knows where that first one went. Mike

P.S. I think an old Model-19 blue steel shooter would look better in this one, rather than my old M-64. But I do believe that they are one of the fastest wheelgun holsters made .....with either the thong or a humb break.

005-3.jpg

PM sent with photo of Tom Threepersons' original holster. This is the photo that my carver used to replicate the original carving pattern.

i like 'em both!!!

005-3.jpg

I figured if it came up missing from that long ago, either you or Lobo took it!

Early in my career I carried a 4" S&W Model 66 as a duty weapon in a Bianci "Judge" clamshell holster. It was spring loaded at the back but you had to pull the weapon through the front against the spring pressure. It was a real pain in the a$$. Having to use both hands to put a weapon back in the holster made it totaly unacceptable for me.

Rick, IIRC, the 'Judge', by old John Bianchi, among others, was actually made somewhat later in time than the true 'clamshell', and were called 'Breakfront' holsters. They had a few problems in that (as you noted) it took a bit of effort to shove the weapon out the front and through the heavy spring tension. The second problem occurred when you finally got the shooter out. By virtue of the force required to push the gun through the spring, inertia kept it going, and you invariably ended up with you pop gun pointing towards the stars! There was also a cross draw version that utilized the same strong spring, but that you had to pull the shooter through, rather than shove it. Neither were great holsters. Not too surprisingly, they resulted in a number of UD's (Unintentional discharges ......I don't believe in the "accidental" type)

The true 'clamshell' holster was a two piece rig, hinged along the back side (the side where the trigger guard is) and also loaded with a strong coil spring. To draw your weapon, you gripped the gun as normal, but then you inserted your trigger finger into the trigger guard, (right on top of the trigger!) and pushed a concealed button. This released a latch in the front side of the holster and the spring loaded half (total front side) of the holster popped open, dumping the shooter in your mitt.......hopefully.(Open, they resembled an open ....you got it...clam shell) An accidental bump and often your pricey shooter hit the black-top.

Mike

Edited by katsass

Kat,

I can't see how either of those ideas (clamshell or open front) were very good at all. Somewhere as I grew older I learned to appreciate the KISS principle. The more geegaws and mechanical stuff, the more the chances of a major screw up. I am a big fan of thumb breaks though.

Thanks for the clarification.

Rick

Kat,

I can't see how either of those ideas (clamshell or open front) were very good at all. Somewhere as I grew older I learned to appreciate the KISS principle. The more geegaws and mechanical stuff, the more the chances of a major screw up. I am a big fan of thumb breaks though.

Thanks for the clarification.

Rick

I agree with you Rick, on the thumb break. I really do not like the newer 'security' levels of holsters. Just too damned many things to do while trying to get your shooter out. Took a BUNCH of practice everytime we got a 'new and improved' version. Mike