Sign in to follow this  
tnestes

Full floral carved saddle on Rick Reed tree- Estes Saddlery

what's the finish on that.

Josh

Look real nice Ted, what are the demesions of the tree?What type of leather did you use?What type of finish did you use?, looks highlighted or antiqued.

steve

Look real nice Ted, what are the demesions of the tree?What type of leather did you use?What type of finish did you use?, looks highlighted or antiqued.steve
Thanks for the compliment. The tree has a 94 degree (6 1/2" gullet) bar spread, 13" swells, 16" seat, and a 3 1/2" high cantle. I used heavy number 1 Hermann Oak skirting throughout, and finished it with a dark brown antique.
Thanks for the compliment. The tree has a 94 degree (6 1/2" gullet) bar spread, 13" swells, 16" seat, and a 3 1/2" high cantle. I used heavy number 1 Hermann Oak skirting throughout, and finished it with a dark brown antique.
Almost forgot, the tree is by Rick Reed- some as good, none better in my opinion.

Ted are you looking for a critique or just showing? Greg

Mainly just showing, as I'm my own worst critic by far. I certainly know how to make this saddle even better next time- and will do so. However, I'm open enough to take some friendly advise. I studied under Steve Mecum a little over a year ago, and got some great tips from him on construction and carving. I took pictures of previous saddles, and we sat down and critiqued those. I've only been carving/designing for about 18 months- part time. I teach school and make saddles. My goal is to ONLY make saddles. But, you have to crawl before walk, walk before you run, and so on.

Ted the saddle looks pretty clean considering the number under your belt. It is the layout of the carving that In my opinion needs work. It should have a start and an end and flow thru out the pattern. You have a layout of seperate flowers joining themselves not flowing together. It is tough drawing, I've been doing it over 20 years and still struggle with the layout. Yes it does get easier the more you do, but then there is more you notice and it sometimes seems like an uphill battle. Don't get discouraged just study the photos of the real masters and try to glean from these to get more flow. Greg

Ted the saddle looks pretty clean considering the number under your belt. It is the layout of the carving that In my opinion needs work. It should have a start and an end and flow thru out the pattern. You have a layout of seperate flowers joining themselves not flowing together. It is tough drawing, I've been doing it over 20 years and still struggle with the layout. Yes it does get easier the more you do, but then there is more you notice and it sometimes seems like an uphill battle. Don't get discouraged just study the photos of the real masters and try to glean from these to get more flow. Greg

Thanks for the suggestions, Greg. Steve Mecum told me he had never made a saddle he was totally satisfied with altogether. He's made near 500 saddles, too. With that in mind, I personally feel my saddles are better than so-so for the number under my belt, and so do all my customers. They speak on my website much louder than I do. I'm all with you on the design challenge. It seems now like carving it is almost easy compared to designing a great pattern. Tooling is a matter of preference, and everybody has to develop their own "style." Speaking of greats, some of Dale Harwood's older saddles hardly have any stems at all. It just appears like mostly leaves and flowers. On the other hand, Cary Schwarz's patterns appear to be mostly stems and circles, with the leaves, flowers, etc. in the background. It's all matter of opinion and preference. You can rest assured, though, I will continue to seek improvement. THANKS AGAIN!

Ted

Thanks for the suggestions, Greg. Steve Mecum told me he had never made a saddle he was totally satisfied with altogether. He's made near 500 saddles, too. With that in mind, I personally feel my saddles are better than so-so for the number under my belt, and so do all my customers. They speak on my website much louder than I do. I'm all with you on the design challenge. It seems now like carving it is almost easy compared to designing a great pattern. Tooling is a matter of preference, and everybody has to develop their own "style." Speaking of greats, some of Dale Harwood's older saddles hardly have any stems at all. It just appears like mostly leaves and flowers. On the other hand, Cary Schwarz's patterns appear to be mostly stems and circles, with the leaves, flowers, etc. in the background. It's all matter of opinion and preference. You can rest assured, though, I will continue to seek improvement. THANKS AGAIN!

Ted

Some of Dale's recent saddles also have few stems and are mostly leaves and flowers BUT they flow together now as they did then. Good Luck. Greg

Some of Dale's recent saddles also have few stems and are mostly leaves and flowers BUT they flow together now as they did then. Good Luck. Greg

Greg,

You are exactly right on the layout-design. I certainly hope to remedy that some, if not a lot, on my next saddle I put a full carve job on. I've got a long way to go, but hope to get there! THANK YOU sincerely for your input!

Ted N. Estes