Sign in to follow this  
Cirrus

Newbie With Dumb Question

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I'm just getting started with leather work. I'm wanting to try my hand at making holsters and I wanted to get some help on where I can find leather that is already dyed. I see all these wonderful websites and pictures of people making their own holsters from leather that is a beautiful cognac or russet, or wine color and the leather is dyed so evenly. Where can I find leather like to purchase? I have a local Tandy shop in my city, but they only carry the natural color cowhide and I would really like to start working with a cognac color. The people I've talked to that use the natural cowhide and dye it themselves, the end result isn't as uniform in color as the stuff I've seen in pictures from others.

Can you point me in a direction to find a place that sells the cowhide that is already dyed in those colors? And if no such place exists, how can I achieve those uniform colors myself? Thanks in advance and I apologize for the newbie question.

Thanks dirtclod.

I'm a little uneducated on what the different grades are for. I need probably a 7 or 8oz piece, but I don't know what grade would be best to use for holsters.

Thanks dirtclod.

I'm a little uneducated on what the different grades are for. I need probably a 7 or 8oz piece, but I don't know what grade would be best to use for holsters.

Cirrus, you might also call the folks at Springfield Leather (800-668-8518) and talk to them there. Those folks can be very accomodating and helpful, ask for Kevin. Mike

Edited by katsass

I will be giving them a call too.

On a side note, has the forum admins ever considered integrating the Tapatalk program for smartphones? There are a lot of members here and the Tapatalk is free to forums. It would sure make it easier for me to participate.