Sign in to follow this  
Hilly

Leather covered pictue frames

My other hobby is photography, and I will be taking a few portraits this weekend.

I was thinking of covering a picture frame in leather, but can no longer find the book on how to do it. Hide Crafter used to carry it. Does anyone here have a copy they want to part with, or know where I can get one? I've looked at H.C., Tandy, Montana leather, Springfield leather, and a couple booksellers with no luck.

Hilly,

never seen a book on this but Andy Stasiak made a good video on the subject that Hide Crafter has in stock as item #0085-01 DVD. Or, you can contact Andy at the San Mateo TLF store 800-642-0923.

Indy :cheers:

Hilly,

I haven't seen a book on these before. I did an article on these for the LCSJ in the Jul-Aug issue in 2000. I haven't really changed a whole lot technique-wise since the article. I mold leather over purchased wooden frames, and with my techniques of hand molding, can do about any size frame without making molds for each specific frame. I have done at least a couple hundred of them. When I was doing a lot of award orders, these were a pretty popular item. I have done plain basket stamped, basket/floral or oak corners, or basket and overlaid flowers or oak corners. If you don't have access to a backissue of the journal let me know. I can copy what I have. I'll attach some examples I have on the computer.

Home_Decor_002__Small_.jpg

Home_Decor_008__Small_.jpg

Home_Decor_009__Small_.jpg

Home_Decor_010__Small_.jpg

post-29-1204747874_thumb.jpg

post-29-1204747890_thumb.jpg

post-29-1204747907_thumb.jpg

post-29-1204747929_thumb.jpg

Whatabout some cheating to get some time over for photography too;-)

Thought about getting a cheap wooden frame and stitch/staple/glue the leather frame right on it.

To get nice edges on such a piece I thought thinner leather sewn on the front edges and rolled back over the frame to the back of it and stapled there could work. No experience in this but take a look at some of Keving Kings wallets and you know where I got the idea from.

Happy snapping!

Tom

Bruce,

Awesome looking work. Do you have a scan of the article you can send out?

Aaron

me too please!!!

pete

Hilly,

never seen a book on this but Andy Stasiak made a good video on the subject that Hide Crafter has in stock as item #0085-01 DVD. Or, you can contact Andy at the San Mateo TLF store 800-642-0923.

Indy :cheers:

Indy, you are absolutely correct in that it was a video and not a book I've been looking for! My brain must be getting addled in my old age or sumthin'. :rolleyes: Thank you, I thought I was losing my mind!

Hilly,

I haven't seen a book on these before. I did an article on these for the LCSJ in the Jul-Aug issue in 2000. I haven't really changed a whole lot technique-wise since the article. I mold leather over purchased wooden frames, and with my techniques of hand molding, can do about any size frame without making molds for each specific frame. I have done at least a couple hundred of them. When I was doing a lot of award orders, these were a pretty popular item. I have done plain basket stamped, basket/floral or oak corners, or basket and overlaid flowers or oak corners. If you don't have access to a backissue of the journal let me know. I can copy what I have. I'll attach some examples I have on the computer.

Bruce,

Those frames are beautiful! You are a very talented artist.

The frame I was thinking of was very simple: Natural veg tan with some type of simple corners added or tooled. A bit more formal, yet very simple. I think it would really compliment a portrait, instead of competing with the subject. Does that sound hard to make?

As far as the backissues go, I would love to have a copy of what you have. I love learning all about the stuff you can do with leather, and can't seem to get enough info.

Thank you!

Hilly

Bruce, it looks like ya need to post a how to on here. looks like ya got lots of interest. I can add also to my list of to do projects lol. nice job. beautiful frames.

Here is a frame is did many moons ago. Hair-on-hide elk.....boy, are those hairs a pain to cut.

RMEF_Frame__finished_for_web_.jpg

post-5622-1204772553_thumb.jpg

Here is a frame is did many moons ago. Hair-on-hide elk.....boy, are those hairs a pain to cut.

Wow! Very nice!

I have it scanned in how I do the leather covered picture frames. Looking back, there a few things I do differently, like not being able to use Caldwell-Moser leather. I no longer sew with 415 thread, and handsew very few of them. I have included this as well. It is in email format with jpeg attachments. The whole file size is a bit over 800 kb. If you are interested, send me a PM with your email address. I will try to get these out at least a couple times a day. Thanks for the compliments, these are one of those universal projects that works for a lot of different occasions.