Jimbob

Metal Forming Shot Bag

Been asked to make some shot bags for ny riding buddies....they all built there own scooters and now we are making gas tank panels ( Indian Larry style..?!)

So making a circular or square bag is not a problem I thought....then I read that it needs mostl likely some refill, due to sand or shot changeing into smaller particles when hit...

So a funnel is a must to refill sand or lead shot....I think I like sand better..?!

How could I sew a funnel that can be reopened or securly closed when bag is used....also would a pancake pattern be ok, or should a shot bag have a skirt ...kind da like a cake looking...?

Would you have the seams outside or do they need to be turned in...?

Anybody ever made a shot bag...please share some ideas..

Thank you

Jimbob

Jimbob

The bags I have used have all used velcro to open and close or have been sewn shut (a really old bag I have is this way). I think I might try rice to fill one for myself just to see how well it works.

Never thought about making one.... HMMMMM how do you say... gears b rollin yo

Have at times thought about getting one... but always found other ways to acheive what I wanted.

About two years ago, there was a guy at the smoke out (1 or 2nd year in Rockingham used to be 2-3 miles from my house here in salisbury) there was a guy doing Larry style tanks. However, he held the uncut tank in his lap and used two hammers and shaped the dish that way. Both sides were pretty "darn" (im sure ill get fussed at for saying dang....) perfect. I was pretty impressed with that.

Never thought about making one.... HMMMMM how do you say... gears b rollin yo

Have at times thought about getting one... but always found other ways to acheive what I wanted.

About two years ago, there was a guy at the smoke out (1 or 2nd year in Rockingham used to be 2-3 miles from my house here in salisbury) there was a guy doing Larry style tanks. However, he held the uncut tank in his lap and used two hammers and shaped the dish that way. Both sides were pretty "darn" (im sure ill get fussed at for saying dang....) perfect. I was pretty impressed with that.

Dang, Ironhead and Ironpounder...seems like there is other dudes out there needing one too...about the gastank between ur knees and working it with two hammers...cool!!

There are indeed many ways to achive dents into metal the way you like...I have seen people do amazing things with just a hammer and a tree stump!

I like the idea of having a shot bag myself....so many things a man can shape....and it be real cool to try my hand in upper level met fab...

Velcro, I have seen that not shure if they stay closed when hitting hard.....I thought about a long funnel tube sewing in and fold it backwards...closing it with a Chicago screw???

Main thing is the sand needs to stay put...rice , in my opinion should not work well...guess after a few uses it will fall apart to almost powder..?!

Maybe we have some folks here in the forum can join in and maybe show some pictures...Dang, after all this is a real cool place where people help each other!

Thank you folks for the first replies....

Ohhh......and where I come from , sorto'( SW VA ) Dang....is not a bad word...hahaaa.....(means...>> dangling your thought's for a second or two.....!!)

Greetings

Jimbob

I think it going to powder would be just fine. You just want something to hold shape against, I would think the smoother the better.

I think it going to powder would be just fine. You just want something to hold shape against, I would think the smoother the better.

Maybe a good point...hmmmm...will see and try different

medias to fill...lead shot shure is more expensive then rice...haha.....

Well, lets get going and make some shotbags....will post pictures...I keep u posted!

James

You may want to take a look over at iforgeiron.com there are some guys there that are SCA armor makers. I would lean towards lead shot, you can get reclaimed from some trap / skeet ranges for less than new. Most ranges are mining the lead now for scrap. Lead will provide more resistance to the blows, and is not as abrasive as sand is to the leather bag. Don't worry about a funnel, as you shouldn''t need to refill any time soon.

I've made several shot bags that I use for bench weights for stamping leather. A couple of them are round and the seam is turned in. I left about 1" open to turn them inside out and fill. On those I fiddled around figured out how to prepunch the stitching holes before turning and then was able to thread the thread (if you know what I mean,) through the holes and tie it off after the bags were filled with shot. It's hard to find where that spot is after I got done.

Another one is squareish and I left the seam on the outside. With that one it would be real easy to cut a few stitches to allow the tip of a funnel to be inserted to add more shot, then restitch.

The first two are made of some pretty thin pigskin which probably would not work for metal forming. My square one is made out of some chap chrome tan rough side out. Some heavy split chrome tan should be good for what you're talking about and just leave the seam on the out side. It would be pretty tough.

I think steel shot, probably # 8 would be good for a metal forming bag and I really doubt that you would ever have add shot and I really doubt that you can damage it by pounding on it through the leather. I think you'd wear a hole in the leather before you'd damage the shot. It'd be like trying to tear up a ball bearing, LOL!

If you want too see pix let me know and I'll take some any post them.

Bill