Sign in to follow this  
nbatter

Recommendations For A Beginner

I just bought a basic leathercrafting kit online, have watched quite a few demos and begun to practice on some scrap leather. I'm really excited to take up the craft and hone my skills to I can begin actually making things to use. However, I don't know anyone who does it. So, I wanted some advice for the following things:

1. I ordered the basic starter kit from tandy. In addition to this, what is essential to own? I've seen a lot about various oils here. Are they something I need to be aware of?

2. Is an exacto knife a good thing to have? I have my swivel cutter, which I am still getting the hang of. But I think something more pencil-like would be more intuitive for non-scrolling cuts.

Happy to have found this forum. Thanks for your advice. Any other thoughts are welcome.

My favorite leather cutting tool is a pair of Gingher Knife Edged scissors, well besides my strap cutter and plough guage.

You know how you can hold the scissors slightly open when cutting wrapping paper and run it across the whole width of the roll, gingher knife edged scissors will do that to 8 oz leather. I am trying to love my round knife, but ugh I can't.

What kind of work would you like to get into?

Thanks for the reply. I'd like be able to make small practical things that can be nice gifts. For instance, a basic knife sheath. In addition to being able to solidly construct it, I'd also like to be able to do some stamping/patterning.

You know my business really started to take off after cell phones came out. When I first got a cell phone the POS holder that came with it wore out and I lost one phone becasue of it. So I made a leather cell phone holder. Friends, family and everyone at the coffee shop seen it and had to have one. This spirred off my present business as I branched out making other things for people as well. My advice to you would be to start making small items and branch out from there, never leave home without wearing something that you have made for yourself, people will see it and ask you about it and want one made, cell phone holder,belts, wallet, purse ect, make sure your wife the same, make her purse, wallet and belt ect. Have some business cards made and always carry them.

Don't be afraid to screw something up, mistakes are learning experiances. Also try and go to the International Federation of Leather Guilds anual show, next year it is in Nashville, Tn. There you can talk leather to everyone, take classes from some of the best instructors there are. You can also walk through the compition room and look at all the projects people have entered. This will inspire you.

Above all ask questions here, join a guild if there is one in your area, if not there is the internet guild.

Hope this helps

Randy

I just bought a basic leathercrafting kit online, have watched quite a few demos and begun to practice on some scrap leather. I'm really excited to take up the craft and hone my skills to I can begin actually making things to use. However, I don't know anyone who does it. So, I wanted some advice for the following things:

1. I ordered the basic starter kit from tandy. In addition to this, what is essential to own? I've seen a lot about various oils here. Are they something I need to be aware of?

2. Is an exacto knife a good thing to have? I have my swivel cutter, which I am still getting the hang of. But I think something more pencil-like would be more intuitive for non-scrolling cuts.

Happy to have found this forum. Thanks for your advice. Any other thoughts are welcome.

I bet if you told us where you live there would be someone in your area that would be glad to help get you started.

Randy

Randy,

Thanks for the reply. I think you hit the nail on the head talking about starting with special simple projects. I don't think I'll be getting to a point where anyone would want to buy from me anytime soon, but hopefully at least to a place where I can make useful little things in the near future.

I'm from the midwest, but currently in NYC. Are there regional groups on this forum, or other ways of finding people by location that may have useful advice on stores/groups?

Randy,

Thanks for the reply. I think you hit the nail on the head talking about starting with special simple projects. I don't think I'll be getting to a point where anyone would want to buy from me anytime soon, but hopefully at least to a place where I can make useful little things in the near future.

I'm from the midwest, but currently in NYC. Are there regional groups on this forum, or other ways of finding people by location that may have useful advice on stores/groups?

I just got a pair of Gingher knife edge scissors and they are awesome. other things you could use for making small projects; 4 or 5 hole chisel. I don't recommend Tandy's because it bends in thick leather. I like this one http://springfieldleather.com/Hand-Tools/product/1905/Chisel%2CStitching%2C1-16%22%2C5-Prong/

also a stitching awl is quite useful http://springfieldleather.com/Hand-Tools/product/1865/Awl%2CHaft%2CStitching%2C%23145/ and get one of the blades. don't waste your money on the cheap ones

some waxed linen and some needles for hand stitching http://springfieldleather.com/Lacing-%26-Stitching-Supplies/product/7625/Thread%2CWax%2CLinen%2CBlack%2C50yd/ If you have a Tandy nearby then you can get this there as well

and get an edge slicker or burnisher http://springfieldleather.com/Hand-Tools/product/3811/Slicker%2CEdge-%28Nylon%29/ this one works for a starter. you can put a bolt thru it and a nut and attach it to a drill to speed things up. also go get a half yard of canvas at fabric store to help with your edges.

and a beveler for the edges as well http://springfieldleather.com/Hand-Tools/product/7914/Edge-Beveler%2CCraftool%2C%232/

these and what you get in a starter kit will get you by for awhile. Don't think you need a bunch of stamps for now I have quite a few and I always end up using the same beveler and backgrounder.

Thanks for this info -- the links are great. I've put together a list of things to buy over the holidays, so I'll spend the next week or so practicing basic stamping and tooling.

One thing is that I'm not entirely clear on how all these tools work. For instance, that five prong chisel -- is it for setting the stitches low so they are flush with the surface? Or for something else?

the 5 prong chisel is for making the holes to stitch with. It keeps the stitches spaced evenly. it can easily punch thru 2 layers of leather. That is also what the awl is for and some people like to mark the holes with a stitch wheel and then use the awl to make their holes one at a time. I had a hard time doing that at first so I preferred the 5 prong chisel when I started. A wing divider or a cheap drafting set of compasses is handy for marking groove lines and stitch holes around corners.

Hi nbatter.

I've started leathercraft a couple of months ago and this forum is a great place to learn! I'll add a few things I picked up here that may help you learn faster. I hope the more experienced members will correct me if I'm wrong.

I got a basic stitching kit from tandy when I started (did not want to outlay a few hundred £ before I even knew I liked leathercraft) and then some stamps from a local-ish vendor and to be honest, I'd try to stay away from tandy tools in future and better invest into higher quality tools.

There are, however some modifications you might want to make:

Awl:

Make sure the blade's not too wide (craftool "4-in-1" blades are very wide - I've reduced the width of mine to nearly half of the original size)

Make sure it's properly sharpened and stropped. The blade should glide through the leather like a hot knife through butter, otherwise your stabbing is going to be very jerky and you'll have little control over the holes you make. (same applies to all tools by the way - they all must be sharpened and stropped like a good straight razor).

If, like me, you have the craftool 4-in-1 awl, you can put some hard rubber (I used a heat shrink) on the base of the blade before you put the blade into the handle - that stops it from falling out and getting stuck in leather (yes, my awl was that bad).

You can also put a stopper on the blade to restrict the length of its working surface to ensure the holes are not too big. Once again, I used 2 heat shrinks so I have only about 1cm of the blade open.

You might want to cut a bit of the handle off to fit your palm better.

Cut/file a mark on the handle where your thumb goes to make finding the right blade angle easier. I just filed a bit of the handle flat so that the mark is parallel to the blade.

Stitching horse:

I got the cheapest, most basic stitching pony. If yours has got a regulat nut and bolt, change it to a quick-release one (I bought a quick-release for a bicycle seat for £1 =). That will save you a lot of time when stitching=)

Once you have the basic tools, start making coasters. I use 2 parts of 4oz leather flesh-to-flesh. Its great practice for cutting leather, stamping, finishing, stitching & edges and you don't use too much leather on them. And they make good presents too =)

Best of luck with your new hobby and I hope these little tricks help!

Don't underestimate coasters... Small, don't waste a lot of leather, easy to cut, quick to tool, easy to test finishes, etc. Christmas ornaments are great too!

Here is some I made when I first started out.

736241703_BrfrG-L.jpg

Edited by particle

I would also suggest books and some of the videos out there. When I started there was no one to teach me. I learned everything from Al Stohlman through his books. I think I have about everyone of them. They are great reference material. I also have a few books from others but Al explains it so everyone would understand. And the pictures are great and easy to see what he is talking about. I reqret never being able to meet him before he died. I still refer back to these books from time to time. It seems like everyone has a book and a video out there. Most are good but some tend to go toward the more experianced tooler. For starting out I would stick to the Stohlman books.

Randy

My favorite leather cutting tool is a pair of Gingher Knife Edged scissors...

Gingher Knife Edge Scissors are awesome. I had a pair already... but DO BE CAREFUL with these. I recently cut a nasty gash in my index finger.:head_hurts_kr: OUCH!. Now I am going to have a battle scar. LOL Daddy always said "Never use your hands as a vise." Now I know why.

If you don't have a stitching pony, you can use a small vice and a hard backed book as a temporary one at least until you can make one or buy one. The book needs to be fairly thin... but it works!

Edited by Sylvia

I'm also in NYC, but only started leatherwork a few months ago myself. Have to admit I haven't found much in the way of local resources... the closest Tandy is in Hartford, CT. 3rd Ward offers one class on leather jewelry making, and the Fashion Institute of Technology has five courses relating to leather apparel design but nothing as far as tooling.

Thanks for all the insight. I subsequently purchased most the recommended tools and have been working on some mystery braid bracelets for my girlfriend. I am feeling good about basic tooling and finishing, and going to do some projects that involve stitching this weekend. The wisdom is much appreciated and look forward to reporting back when I have something to show.