TheFalkonite

Hailing From Halifax

Hello all,

I was told of this website a few months ago and just signed up. I'm new(ish) to leather as a craft; I work in an office for mobile and technology so I don't get much of a chance to create or work with my hands (other than pushing buttons or touch screens of course).

I've always been a fan of leather products and I'm also a fan of something that both looks good and has a purpose or function. So I finally took a few courses at my local Tandy store back in January and the rest (hundreds of dollars later) is history.

I've even made a few things like money clips and ID holders as gifts for family so far!

I'm on mobile right now so uploading isn't really convenient but if anyone is interested I can upload a few of my first projects here.

Cheers,

Brandon

Lol, was it something I said?

Occasionally new people get missed, nothing you said to bother anyone. Welcome to the forum. And welcome to the addiction! We would like to see pics of some of your stuff. Whether you want to post for critiques, or just to show off, either is great.

Tom

Howdy neighbor :) I feel your pain, it's not a cheap hobby to get into but it can be relaxing and satisfying turning a side of leather into something useful and beautiful. And I'd love to see some of your work

Oh good, I really am glad it wasn't something I said; It was early when I posted as I'm a new dad also haha.

Photos were too big to upload so I created a public link from my Google Photos app;

https://goo.gl/photos/QXXRpgu1AnCTEXzV6

I'm usually not good at compressing stuff to upload so I hope that's okay; this day on age I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to click on a link posted to a forum haha. At least the photos keep their original quality!

I'm open to comments, suggestions, critiques, and of course any compliments!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Cheers,

Brandon

I like the work you did with the bus pass/card case but just a few ideas on it. 1. I would have put a rolled leather edge on the bus pass window. It would give a more finished look. 2. I know it's hard to judge but I'd also move the stitching out closer to the edge and make sure all the sides line up instead of having those 2 stitches heading to the bottom that you don't have on the top corner. 3. On the inside where the edges come together at the corners, angle them at a 45 so they look smoother.

On the comb case, if you are going to line it, line all of it and sew right around the entire edge. Also, on the corner where you sewed it, cut that on a round and it won't get so banged up as bad.

The mask and the belt looks good

Thanks man; all of what you see is the first time for any of it. First belt, first ID holder, etc; my leather teacher Gary said each one comes out better than the last because that's how you learn!

I wanted the outside of the holder to have a rolled in look so that's why the inside looks the way that it does. I did actually try to do a 45 on the window corners but it didn't quite line up as I had anticipated.

The comb holder was a piece of scrap that I tried to turn into a holder and had the last minute idea to put pigskin in there for added luxury; next time I'll make sure the liner matches the scrap perfectly.

Thanks for the tips and compliments!

I wasn't able to actually sit in and take a full class from Gary but I've picked his brains a few times when I was there to pick stuff up, he knows what he;s talking about. I look back at some of my early work and go wtf was I thinking of. It all comes with practice and screwing up.

Those 45s can be tricky but what helps is to leave everything at a 90 then once you have it in place, use a really sharp knife and cut both pieces at the same time.

We all have those last minute ideas that change everything but again, it's something that will come in with time and experience on how to cover those "oooppsss" moments.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your next projects