sandyt

Help Identification Singer Or Adler Or?

This machine is for sale now on an auction site for a pretty long time. I tried to ignore it but it keeps popping up!!!

Maybe I should give it a go. Seller says there are no markings to indentify the machine, which I doubt. But that is what he says. It's too far from my home for just taking a look at it.

I am just gathering some information before I take de 2 hour drive.

Seller says it is in working order. Head only.

Hope somebody reqognizes this brand and type?

Greetings, Sandy.

Another pick from the backside.

post-23336-0-19020400-1448812021_thumb.p

post-23336-0-17773600-1448812662_thumb.p

Looks like a Singer Class 7 type machine to me.

Yup, the squared-off head parts sure make it look more like an Adler 20. The Singer Class 7 has a more swoopy, flowing head design. Not much info on Adler 20 type machines online. Parts may be tricky to find.

Durkopp Adler has an Adler 20 manual and an Adler 20 parts book. Apparently a few parts are interchangeable with Singer Class 7 machines, which may be easier to find.

sandyt

If it is your machine - or you want to purchase it - and therefore pursue to find accessories: bobbin, shuttles, feets, edge guides etc. Would you please keep us postet ?

I recently find such a machine. But didn't purchase it yet.

Thanks people.

I don't see the vertical plate on the head on any singer. So it should be an Adler wright?

Which classes are out there. 6, 7, 8, 20??

Have to google the classes.

Don't think it handles 2 needles. The original photo is a little clearer. It only holds one needle.

Thanks for the manual Uwe.

Hyttogpine,

I know there are 2 'dealers' in Holland who occasionaly sell these machines for way to much money. Sometimes with extra feet.

I could wright them a mail. Or bring you in contact with them.

I personaly never bought something of them though.

Does it mean you don't have this machin ?

If you have the impression of these 2 dealers have accessories/spare parts to. It would be nice to have an URL adress or an email adress.

edit: I think it handles 1" may 1 1/2". We have to wait on til the big guys enter the scene. They can tell.

post-61608-0-33254700-1448818898_thumb.j

Edited by hyttogpine

But what I would like to hear opinion about - since I don't have such machine and no experience to this monster - is it not recommending to sew with only one needle. Would it bee to much asymmetric pressure on the needlebar, for HEAVY sawing ? Or are this working horse machines made to mostly anything ?

post-61608-0-55019000-1448827965_thumb.j

Edited by hyttogpine

No it is not my machine hyttogpine. I am thinking of bying it. It's in rough state though. Not sure.

Clearance of 'my' machine is only half inch I think. Not that big as yours.

Never heard of a two neadle with such a machine. Cool!

Can't you have an adapter machined to hold one needle. Mount it and rise the needle bar to adjust the new height? Just thinking out loud.

One of the two guys I told you about says he has feet for sale. 35 euro's each. If you are interested, I could pm you the email adress. But Constabulary also has a few though. Just let me know.

Only drawback I know of,these machines tend to leave feeddog marks on the back of leather. They are good for heavy work.

Now I have a small feeling of hijacking this topic.

But thanks to sandyt and constabulary. Before I take your invitation to help with me some equipment, fore the this machine. I have to travel to town and take a better look (shuttlerace, bobbin two of each).

But I let you know.

I guess the needle bar is the same as for the Adler 105 (I guess) so probably a needle bar of an Singer 45K would fit as well.

The 45K needle bars are 9.5mm / 0.375" in diameter and 26.2cm / 10.31" long. Maybe that will help you a little bit when you want to go from 2 to 1 needle.

I also have a Singer 45K needle bar some edge guides and so forth - just for the case you need something

Edited by Constabulary

I think we are missing something here.

Both hook points are located slightly left and wright I think? So a one needle 'conversion' is not possible?

But I am not familiar with this 2 needle machine though.

Most 2-Needle sewing machines can sew just fine with only one needle installed. No conversion necessary, you simply remove the second needle.

Edited by Uwe

I usually would agree when we atalk about "common" industrial machines but I think these extremely heavy machines with quite aggressive feed dogs are a different class I´d say. But have to admit I have no experience with them.

Thats an Adler 20-2. Other classes in the 20 series are 7, 7B, 8 and 20 I think. Good machines over all, very durable and heavy duty with a snap-foot. I believe the 20-2 uses 794-system needles and will clear about 1/2 under the presser feet. I have the Adler 20-7 wich I am very happy with for heavy sewing, though I wish it would have a walking foot.

Pretty sure it is an ADLER 20 as the Singer presser foot spring is much flatter.

What do you want to sew is the big question as this is a heavy canvas machine and pretty ordinary for leather.

Plenty of us can supply parts for a Singer but it is difficult with the ADLERS

Don't know what hypottigene will use it for. Bit I just want to rescue it. It's for sale for a long while now. Nobody whant's it???

Would be a shame if it would go to the scrapyard.

I made the deal with the seller. He will deliver it comming friday to my home!

He says it's stitching fine. Price is pretty good so I took the chance.

Maybe I could use it for sewing buffing wheels. I polish aluminium, like car wheels and mopet parts from time to time.

Don't know if the clearence is enough for this task, but we will see.

If you want to make buffing wheels there is a spiral stitch attachment available from your friendly Cowboy dealer.

Another one saved from the infamous scrapper hoards. Yea and amen. Clean her up and put her back to work its what she's made for.

Anything with a handwheel that large is worth saving from the heap.The rest is just details and I'm certainly looking forward to reports and pictures as the restoration story unfolds.

Amen brother

Anything with a handwheel that large is worth saving from the heap.The rest is just details and I'm certainly looking forward to reports and pictures as the restoration story unfolds.