thekid77

Where To Look For A Good 1" Oblong Punch....any Recomnendations?

Hey friends, can any of you point me to a good sharp 1" oblong punch?

I have tried the Tandy Craftool punch and it was dull as a board....ended up returning it...

Thank you!!

Go back to Tandy and check out the economy punch. Their deluxe punches all seem dull, but the el cheapos I've gotten are sharp. Just look through them to find one without nicks in it.

Then strop it a little and see how that does for you.

Surprising, huh?

Sadly, no -- nothing to recommend. I've ordered punches from 4 different places in teh past couple years, and ALL of them came needing sharpened. I was a tool maker forever, so I know HOW to sharpen, I just don't think I should HAVE to on a NEW tool.

A guy I know (who knows leather) said he got his at Weaver, and he likes those. Now, I haven't used those, but that guy DOES know leather, so FWIW ...

Go back to Tandy and check out the economy punch. Their deluxe punches all seem dull, but the el cheapos I've gotten are sharp. Just look through them to find one without nicks in it.

Then strop it a little and see how that does for you.

Surprising, huh?

LOL yes, I was noticing that...I just returned the deluxe punch and went with your suggestion....it has a better edge and I stropped it....still have to see how it does, but for $15 you can't go wrong :P

Sadly, no -- nothing to recommend. I've ordered punches from 4 different places in teh past couple years, and ALL of them came needing sharpened. I was a tool maker forever, so I know HOW to sharpen, I just don't think I should HAVE to on a NEW tool.

A guy I know (who knows leather) said he got his at Weaver, and he likes those. Now, I haven't used those, but that guy DOES know leather, so FWIW ...

Thank you!! When I get some money saved up I'll be in the market for a better punch, but for now I'll have to see how the Tandy economy punch holds up....thanks again!!