CCPhotog

How Was This Lined Collar Made?

I have been looking at other leatherwork for inspiration, and I found this collar. I'm curious as to how both the black lining on the inside and the pink edging are attached.

The first picture is of the front of the collar. It looks to me like a normal hem; the leathers were put facing each other, a stitch was run, and then the pink was folded back over. But then, how was the black lining piece in the back attached? If it was sewn, wouldn't it punch through to the front of the collar?

untitled-0946.jpg

untitled-0951.jpg

untitled-0948.jpg

post-29997-0-65687200-1391290791_thumb.j

post-29997-0-17260300-1391290800_thumb.j

post-29997-0-87668800-1391290806_thumb.j

It's actually sewn in multiple steps.

The one black strip that will become the outside has the pink edging sewn on face-to-face and is then pulled around to the back. It's typical to have glue it down to keep it in place until the second strip of black gets sewn down over top of it.

I wish I knew the proper name for this edge treatment, since it would have made finding pictures to describing how it's done much easier.

Here's what I found, though...

Rolled edge <-- the arrow pointing to the leather wrapped edge is what I'm talking about.

This page on a sewing blog shows a similar process about halfway down.

I hope it helps make sense out of what I was describing.

Shtoink : That's what I figured, but then wouldn't the stitches from the inside black layer show on the front? The only stitch marks I can see on the front are from where the pink was attached.

They are, but they're butted up really close to the edge of the pink layer. I almost didn't see it, it was so close. If you check the third picture, you can see it.

I imagine that a fence was use to keep the distance proper. It also makes me even more convinced that the pink edging was glued and possibly hammered flat before the second layer of black.

My eyes are probably playing tricks on me here, but is there some pink showing threw on the punched holes? :dunno:

Chris

P.s. I got to thinking, if you are wanting to put a pink edge on something, you might be able to use Kevin King's tutorial here http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9940 Check out how he attaches his lamb skin around the edges. Its sewn twice (If i understand it right) but you can only see one stitch line.

Edited by Chris B