I have been saddle soaping my edges lately to get them to burnish nicely. I like the effect but the soap is "staining" my leather. I am using undyed veg-tan. the soap makes a dark stain on the grain side where it contacts during burnishing and I have tried to keep it to just the edge but that seems impossible. once the soap has made this dark area I can't get it out even if I saddle soap the entire grain it remains, much like a spirit dye if you spill a drop on your leather you can't blend it in. I've tried yellow and white soap, straight out of the can, wet sponge and lather, even diluting it in water. I'm about ready to go back to plain old water burnishing. anyone have a tip or two?

no pics right now but if needed I can reproduce it on a scrap piece I'm sure

thanks, Scott

Give Gum Trag a try. I know what you mean. It happened to me a lot on light leathers like interiors until I got myself a Dremel based burnisher. It keeps it tight and to the area that needs to be burnished. Give Sprinner a ring at leatherburnishers.com.

Question: Are you using a canvas or denim rag to burnish? And do you fold it over the edge to burnish?

Good luck.

I have and use the burnishers from spinner they work great, although I still use canvas and elbow grease from time to time. How should I apply the saddle soap or gum trag. to the burnisher then work it in or directly to the leather?

I apply directly to the leather. Also: I finish coat the piece, not on the edges, before burnishing or applying any glycerine soap or saddle soap.

ferg

I have and use the burnishers from spinner they work great, although I still use canvas and elbow grease from time to time. How should I apply the saddle soap or gum trag. to the burnisher then work it in or directly to the leather?

I use my finger tip or a burnt wool dauber to apply all of my edge finishes. Good luck.

I just started using the big yellow bar and I rub it staright on the edges while they are kinda dry and it seems to do a real good job for me.

I just started using the big yellow bar and I rub it staright on the edges while they are kinda dry and it seems to do a real good job for me.

AHHH maybe I need the bar instead of the paste! and I will try sealing the piece except the edges first. thanks all

i've been using eco flow's gum trag since i started, do you guys notice a difference when using saddle soap instead of gum trag? In hidepounder's instructions he states that you can substitue bee's wax or gum trag for saddle soap, I'm just wondering if there's a noticeable difference in the finished edge if you use one over the other. I work with pre dyed leather and I don't dye the edges as part of the edge finishing process (I like the look of the lighter colored edges).

I went with hidepounders technique of wrapping canvas around the drill mounted burnisher and found it saves a lot of time. I'll wet the canvas with gum trag and also apply some gum trag dirrectly on the leather edge as well (as hidepounder suggested). Its worked well thus far but I'm wondering if saddle soap would work even better.

I think you folks might be missing a step in the burnishing.

After sanding and edging the leather you wet the edges, rub Glycerine Soap (it is a semi-solid amber colored bar) well into the edges. The edge will be shiny and rounded. You then apply the Saddle Soap with whichever method you desire.

ferg

i've been using eco flow's gum trag since i started, do you guys notice a difference when using saddle soap instead of gum trag? In hidepounder's instructions he states that you can substitue bee's wax or gum trag for saddle soap, I'm just wondering if there's a noticeable difference in the finished edge if you use one over the other. I work with pre dyed leather and I don't dye the edges as part of the edge finishing process (I like the look of the lighter colored edges).

I went with hidepounders technique of wrapping canvas around the drill mounted burnisher and found it saves a lot of time. I'll wet the canvas with gum trag and also apply some gum trag dirrectly on the leather edge as well (as hidepounder suggested). Its worked well thus far but I'm wondering if saddle soap would work even better.

I think you folks might be missing a step in the burnishing.

After sanding and edging the leather you wet the edges, rub Glycerine Soap (it is a semi-solid amber colored bar) well into the edges. The edge will be shiny and rounded. You then apply the Saddle Soap with whichever method you desire.

ferg

50 yrs - That's what I'm currently doing. Step 3 in hidepounder's posted guide is the application of the glycerine soap and Step 4 is burnishing with saddle soap, bees wax or gum trag. I sort of glossed over Step 3 in my post b/c this thread seemed more focused on Step 4. I'm just wondering if saddle soap would work better than the gum trag in Step 4, since King's X suggested it.

I have a bottle of the Gum Trag, have never used it. I think a lot of the finishing edges is a matter of preference and what someone began with. I followed Bob Parks method from the start and have never had the occasion to use any of the alternatives. King's X does some mighty fine work. I am sure what ever he does works for him and may also work for you.

ferg

50 yrs - That's what I'm currently doing. Step 3 in hidepounder's posted guide is the application of the glycerine soap and Step 4 is burnishing with saddle soap, bees wax or gum trag. I sort of glossed over Step 3 in my post b/c this thread seemed more focused on Step 4. I'm just wondering if saddle soap would work better than the gum trag in Step 4, since King's X suggested it.