Sign in to follow this  
thekid77

Stitch Groover--Is It Always Necessary To Use?

Hi friends,

I have been practicing tunnel stitching for the purpose of making dice cups, and eventually, some larger cylindrical cases.

When you are tunnel stitching (where two flat ends of leather are sewn together), do you ALWAYS use a stitch groover? Is it absolutely necessary to protect the stitches?

I noticed that when I use a stitch groover, then go through with the awl and pull the stitches tight, the leather on both sides of the seam looks scrunched up and weak (like the leather could easily tear).

I am leaning toward not grooving a stitch channel, since the thread could always be replaced and fixed if the thread was ever compromised in any way.

Stohlman recommends grooving a channel for the stitches to lay in...

Any advice/experience that you could give is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!!!

Hi.

Not sure about tunnel stitching, but in English leatherwork you hardly ever groove, so I'm sure you'll be fine. You might want to get a pricking iron to make sure that the stitches look good.

If the leather has enough grease in it the stitches will pull in anyway, but if not, I don't think you need to protect them on a dice cup.

Hey Kid, the idea behind the groove is both to protect the stitching and as an aesthetic feature so that you don't feel them. This is important where there could be chafing of the thread or of your body where thread may stick up. I doubt your dice cup would ever see so much use as to break the thread, but ya never know. You might be pulling the thread too tight while your stitching, or your leather might be moist. I have experienced both of these. So, try pulling a bit less and I bet you will be pleased with your results.

Besides esthetics, . . . stitch grooving serves two other purposes: 1) it protects you from the stitches where your skin could rub against the raised stitches and chafe your skin, . . . and 2) it protects the stitches against undue wear from you.

Long and short, . . . grooving is sort of like a muffler on a car, . . . don't really need it, it'll work without it, . . . but it is so much better with it.

May God bless,

Dwight