JewelsInAZ

I Need Some Advice..new To This Website! Hi To All!

Hi All.. I am New to this Website and am making Saddlebags with a friend of mine for his Harley..What is the best type of leather to use for them? I've heard Kangaroo is supposed to be the best but, I have gotten so many different answers I thought I should ask the pros.. :-) Any and all advice will be helpful. Thanks!! JewelsInAZ.... :dunno:

Welcome to the forum, haven't made any saddle bags for bikes yet. Have used veg tanned to make tools bags for bikes. I have used chrome tanned & oil tanned leather for Horse saddle bags & chinks/chaps, these seem to weather well with little care. I will be interested too, to see what others are using.

Chrome tanned= sorf and pliable. Vegtable tanned = stiff and firm. You likely want vegtable for bike bags. Kangeroo is great, but will not be thick enough for what you want, it is usually pretty thin.

My answer to your question is: Per-dyed vegtable tanned cow.

This is a chrome tanned leather made specifically for motorcycle bags. I don't think veg tan can take the rain and sun beating on it like this stuff can :)

http://springfieldleather.com/34531/Side%2CSaddlebag%2CBlk%2C7-8oz%2CSqft/

Thank You all for your answers!! I appreciate all the help I can get! I am hoping we will start making them soon so I can post some Pic's!! Enjoy your Weekend!! :red_bandana:

if you are lacing the bags then kangaroo is the best lace you can use.

Well....since you now have also 2 Million different answers on this forum.....hahahahaaa...I give you one more...hehee...I make most of my biker bags out of Latigo, waxed and stuffed, rather a bit stiff but still very managable...very weather resistant too...can NOT be carved but border stamped somewhat...

Makes nice bags and comes even in ohhhh soooo cool flat black !!!

BUT, exept Ru leather, all leather is possible, because you used it, you made it and you will be judged for it.....!!

Make it a 6-7 for light bags...and 8-10 for big stiff bags.....and make it yours !!

Lets go....we need to see bags soon !!!

Jim

Jimbob brings up a good point. Does JewelsInAZ want to carve designs into the bags. That would narrow down the choice somewhat. I haven't made any bags (yet) but I've had experience using them. IMHO softer leathers will sag over time and would need some kind of stiffeners built in.