Josh Ashman

Carved/san Carlos Border Rig For Single Six

Done in time for Christmas...

10/11 HO, JWP hardware and Fiebings liquid acrylic black antique over a heavy coat of NF oil.

Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas!

Josh

post-19070-0-86654300-1418927769_thumb.j

post-19070-0-34902600-1418927793_thumb.j

post-19070-0-89694300-1418927812_thumb.j

Josh, very nice piece of work. That single six should be honored to reside in that rig.

Thanks guys!

CR - it'll carry a shinny new Single Six when it gets where it's going. I stuck my beat up old one in it for the pictures :cowboy:

Dang, even I like that old fashioned piece of leather. Very nice. :cowboy:

Nice job be proud to put my gun in there , shame it won't fit me I need mine to be about 60 " long . Really I like it I may have to try to make a close copy for myself . The old styles have a certain look ya know. Silverbullet

That thing is beautiful! Great work.

Just curious. What is your work surface made of and how does it perform?

Thanks for the kind words everybody! I appreciate them.

Red Cent, are you sure it's not just the Ruger in the rig that you like? I've noticed your a Ruger fan, I am too :cowboy:

OT, that sir is just 3/4" plywood. you can see all sorts of marks in it from years gone by but it's usually covered with cutting boards now. I just moved them out of the way to take the pictures. I framed the bench up with double 2x4's on the front edge and it has posts built out of doubled 2x4's @ 2'-8" OC. I do my tooling on a marble slab that sits directly over a post, cutting and layout are done on the big cheap vinyl cutting boards from Walmart, skiving on a glass cutting board and I have a few of those rubber mats that I use to punch holes into, I put them over the vinyl cutting boards. rivets and the like are set on a 1" steel plate I place over a post. It works OK but it's a real mess as all of that just moves about and gets stacked here and there. I just moved all of the cutting boards over to one side to take the pictures.

Thanks again!

That is gorgeous!

That's beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Hey Josh, nice work. It all goes together. The antique finish, really brings out the detail.

Bob

Really nice there Josh, as usual.

Just had to add my two cents by saying that it is great and a real pleasure to see.

Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

God Bless.

Ray

Very nice. I'm another single action Ruger fan.

Truly a work of art. Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas!

Awesome job, I really like this rig! just one question, seems to me that the holster is not lined, so how are attached the spots on the holster to avoid any possible scratch?

Cheers from Italy

Thanks Double H, Steve and Bruno!

Bruno,

You are correct, no lining. The spikes on the spots are just folded over then I use a domed rivet/spot setter and a mallet to give them a good solid tap over a plate of steel. This sucks the folded spikes into the leather nicely and I haven't ever had a problem with scratches. I do use a thim piece of scrap chap leather between th setter and the spot to keep from marring them up and to help my one size setter work for smaller spots.

Cheers from Missouri,

Josh

Thank you Josh for your detailed answer, I'll keep your method in mind! Again, very nice job on this rig! I love mexican loop holsters!

Bruno

Dang nice Josh. That is incredibly beautiful. Excellent.

Josh, the depth you get out of your tooling just oozes through the screen. Great work as always!

Thanks Matt and Robert!

I heard back today that it was a big hit on Christmas morning and that it fit perfectly! I'm always a little nervous about building cartridge belts as a surprise present so I was glad to hear it fit.

Thanks again everybody and have a great New Year!

Josh