bevelededge

Belt Tips/Idea for Singer Model 27 Treadle Machine

Hello all,

I recently purchesed a beatiful Model 27 Singer Treadle Sewing machine.

The machine works very well, but there was no belt.

I was informed that the traditional belt for this machine was made of leather.

What I would like to ask is if there is any special treatment/size/cut for the leather to work optimally for this machine. How does one typically bind the the two ends?

Since it will be a "working" machine, I would think a polymer belt would work best for traction and durability. Would this be a better option than the leather? Is there a manufacturer of such belts?

The machine was manufactured in 1899.

Thanks to all in advance.

Hi Fraser,

It takes a standard Singer round belt that you can find at most sewing machine stores. There will be a clamp on the end. You will cut it to length and put on the clamp. That's all.

Art

Hello all,

I recently purchesed a beatiful Model 27 Singer Treadle Sewing machine.

The machine works very well, but there was no belt.

What I would like to ask is if there is any special treatment/size/cut for the leather to work optimally for this machine. How does one typically bind the the two ends?

Since it will be a "working" machine, I would think a polymer belt would work best for traction and durability. Would this be a better option than the leather? Is there a manufacturer of such belts?

The machine was manufactured in 1899.

Thanks to all in advance.

HI Fraser, Art is right, most sewing machine stores carry this leather belt. It is called a treadle belt. Thanks, Steve

The early traditional belts were made of leather, but now we're starting to see mostly synthetic leather belts, at least for the domestic class of machines. The synthetic belts are very uniform in size and seem to work just fine. They tend to come in "Good", "Better", and "Best". I like the "Better" ones myself, because the price is right. You'll need a 3/16" x 72" belt for your domestic machine. It will be too long, so you'll need to trim it off to fit as Art mentioned. They come extra long so they can be cut to fit the particular machine and treadle stand that they're going onto. The clamp to make it continuous is similar to a hog ring, but smaller and without the sharp points.

Actually, from what I understand, the early belts (and some current leather belts) were strips of shaved hair-on skin cut and allowed to cure. The process caused the hair side of the skin to "roll under" exposing only the flesh side, creating the round belt. There's no doubt more to it than that, but I don't have any details. If you look closely at some of the larger industrial treadle belts, you can sometimes see a little of the shaved hair side showing.

CD

Gentlemen.....

Thank you very much for the information.

I know where my next stop is.

You may want to to call Toledo Industrial Sewing at (419) 380-8540. They sell rolled leather belts for all types of Singer machines.