leatherman54

Branding Iron For Identification?

Hello all, I am thinking of getting an electric branding iron made to identify our leather products (belts, director's chairs, three-legged seats, lamps, whatever) but am unsure as to how to go about it. I think that an embossed stamp would not be visible on the flesh side of leather goods, which is why I am thinking of a branding iron. Will this show up well on the back side of leather? What is the most cost-effective way, do you think, to make a dark mark which will last? I'm looking in the $100 range, is that possible? Sorry to be so vague and inquisitive - a search in the forum didn't really answer my questions yet.

I think you could get away with a stamp and then apply an antique in the recessed area made by the stamp. Might be cheaper. I have no experience with a branding stamp.

It will work well. Dampen the leather and press the mark into it. It takes about half a second, longer and it will blurr. Leaves a very nice looking burnished mark. No antique needed.

Aaron

I've talked with them but haven't used their products. They are really helpful, great testimonials and seem to have all of their ducks in a row.

http://brandingirons.com/index.html

Whatever you do... don't brand any chrome tanned leather. You'll be sick for days. (ask me how I know) I used a wood burning tool and "signed" my work for months before I got a makers mark stamp. I still use it occasionally on smaller things.

I've branded live stock and a hot iron will indeed burn the leather.. There are companies that make electric branding irons. I know a guy that made his makers mark (branding iron out of a coat hanger). He use a small propane torch to heat it up red hot and branded his work. Now it uses a stamped impression.. The cheapest way would be get a makers mark ( like the brand) and just stamp it on your work. Cost me 60.00..

Try these folks http://lwleathers.co...ather-embossing

Im on the fence, I do some pyrography on buckles , sheathers was considering getting one of these for a makers stamp.

missed the first link to etsy shop..

Edited by KCF2013