Krystian

Bmw Leather Steering Wheel Re-Furb

Hi,

I started working with leather not so long ago.

Most of the things that I do are made with veg tan leather and all of them are being hand sewed.

Now to people who do not know how many types of leather there are if you work leather then you know all about it.

So here is the situation I'm in: my dad's very good friend would like to refurbish steering wheel in his car and my dad told him that I would know how.

What an overstatement.... :)

Could you please have a look at the picture below and advise?

The wheel is partially worn on the top, it misses the glossy bits. My dad's friend tried to even this up with very thin sandpaper, but that did not help much.

Is there any good/quick and reliable way to approach this?

Please let me know.

K.

More pics here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36379698/20130710_155803.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36379698/20130710_155815.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36379698/20130710_155834.jpg

post-41632-0-63517400-1373467067_thumb.j

Here is a you tube video that will give you some idea of what is involved.

You may also want to check into Wheelskins.com you should be able to order a wheelsking cover for the exact year and model they are about $54.00 they still need to be sewn around the wheel but they are assembled and sized. There is also a you tube video to show you how to sew on a wheelskin cover. Hope this helps.

Hi,

thanks for this. I was more interested in knowing if the existing wheel can be fixed somehow?

Anyone?

Hallo Krystian,

Your main problem here will be : can you dismount the steering wheel. Whatever you choose: recovering it or reparing it, you'll have to dismount it in order to work on the wheel. The fact this contains an Airbag system is really not helping (and I hope the electronic has plugs in order to take out the wheel...

About the leather on your actual wheel, it's used. Sweat has burned the leather and as they are made of one piece, it's quite impossible to repair it. You'll have only, in my humble opinion, the choice between covering it or replacing it completely. Depends of the size of the driver's hands. If he can still hold firmly with an added layer of leather, covering is better.

But frankly you would spend more time into trying to restaure it with very poor result, while changing it would be much "easier".

Thus