shockme2

affordable Leather sewing machines

Hello!

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, Is there any commen sewing machines in the $300-$500 range that will sew leather projects? :deadsubject:

Not for heavy stuff, but for medium range, say under 3/8, a used Pfaff 545, or used Consew 206 RB might be the easiest to find, Nakajima 280L, and Singer 111-155 are also good machines you might get for $500. My druthers would be a tight Pfaff 545 or 1245, but you won't find a 1245 in your price range. With Pfaffs especially, make sure the table comes with it, the cutouts are a little different.

Art

Hello!

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, Is there any commen sewing machines in the $300-$500 range that will sew leather projects? :deadsubject:

Art's on the money as usual....

I'm going to go a slightly different direction.....

Sharpshooter Rule #2: Good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good.

Save the money you have to pay for a machine now and add to it until you have enough to buy a Toro 3000.... It's a great machine that will last just about forever with terrific support should you run into a problem down the road.

Buying a used machine is fine if you really know machines well enough to figure it out because the "Used Sewing Machine Technical Support Hotline" is either closed or busy whenever you need it and you're back to sewing like you are now except your wallet is a bit thinner.

SHARPSHOOTER YOU ARE RIGHT ON IT..... :clapping:

I am going to step out of my box here. My wife got the vaccuum fixed the other day, and said they had a machine that sews leather there. Yesterday i checked it out. It is one of the Singer CG 500/550 models. I figured motor on the machine portable. Maybe some pigskin garment, they'll all do that. He pulls out a piece of petrified unoiled 13 oz veg and a piece of old chap and it doesn't even choke on the first stitch. I could run it slow or fast and it did a nice enough stitch for what it was sewing through, and no handwheeling. It wouldn't ever replace my 1245, but seems to be a dandy little machine. I could see using it for small projects and set up for lighter thread. Being portable it wouldn't take up much space. It isn't industrial and I wouldn't trust it for dailky heavy use on a lot of vegtan, but for little chrome tan projects, it might be the ticket.

For chrometan up to 6 oz, possibly 7 oz and garment leathers, a Husqvarna Viking in the 5000 or 6000 series (with the flatbed attachment & some different cams) might also be a possibility. These machines are built of metal & are durable. They also have a slow speed (1 stitch at a time) & a regular speed. I picked up a model 6270 for about $150 + shipping off ebay & it does fine for me with the lighter stuff. The sewing machine stores prefer to sell the newer, all electronic (& less durable than the older machines, too, but for a LOT more $$$, btw) models & many older machines are junked or sold very cheaply.

I haven't tried it yet on thicker vegtan, but it probably could handle up to 6 oz or so??? :dunno:

I just don't feel like screwing with the adjustments on my Boss to sew lighter leathers (again), so I got the Viking to do the other stuff, especially the garment leathers & softy materials.

Sure... as long as you are not going into real thick leather (over 1/2") that would require a harness stitcher. Go on EBay and find yourself an old Singer 15-91 or even a Featherweight. A White Rotary would work and there are a lot of other old machines that can serve you. These are usually all home sewing machines but they are made of all metal components. They are heavy duty pieces of equipment... many driven by foot power on a treadle.

Wayback when... Mom used to sew leather on her machine because kids wore leather and it was a common material. Sewing machines could handle it. Today Mom often doesn't even know how to sew. Everything is sewn overseas and is throwaway. Home sewing machines are made of plastic and the needles break at the first doubled seam they encounter. But it wasn't always that way. Just step back in history and you will find what you seek. Heck you can pick up a good 29-4 patcher for $300 or so with a treadle stand. $20 for a belt, bobbins, and needles and you are good to go up to 3/8" thickness.

Old is good!!

:banana::banana::banana: