mrtreat32

French Calf From Hide House

Has anyone ever ordered this and do you know what tannery they source it from. I called Hide house and the lady I spoke with said they weren't allowed to give out the tannery info which I understand on certain products.

The price is very good for french calf and I was curious about the quality and if it could possibly be d'annonay or another one of the big names from france. thanks

Thanks for the response. Yeah I have ordered baby calf and french calf from that contact before. Prices are reasonable but I think $14sf for french calf last time I checked. The colors on hide house look similar to the d'annonay calf so was wondering if there was a chance its the same product. Or something equally as good.

how do you like the baby calf from d'annonay? Any chance you tested out the box calf from them?

Are you aware of an online store in North America that has a selection of fine leathers, charles hardtke was one I had my eye on but the site is no longer active. fineleatherworking has a selection of fine leathers, but they seemed overprice although I need to request a price list from the tannery to see for sure.

The baby calf is really awesome. I actually prefer it slightly to the box calf they have for the type of stuff I like to make (wallets, small leather goods). It is thin about 2oz but the temper is firm enough that it will hold up well for interior pockets on wallets and stuff like that. It could even work as the outside panel on a wallet if you doubled it up or lined it with another leather. It also comes in a lot of really nice colors. (someone on another forum said the baby calf they have isn't d'annonay but from another french tannery. they were told this over the phone by amelia I believe). Either way its super nice so I don't care if its not a big name.

The box calf is really nice as well. Super firm temper! Very rigid for how thick it is. Comes in less colors and is a bit more than the baby calf.

And they also sent me samples of the milled calf which feels amazing but it much too soft for anything I make. Would be great for bags I suppose or garments.

I have calf from charles hardtke as well that I ordered before the site shut down and I actually slightly prefer it to the calf from d'annonay and was around $8 sf! Too bad that site isn't around anymore.

And the stuff at fineleatherworking is very nice but they are marking it up considerably since they will sell you half a hide and smaller amounts. Im pretty sure the calf they have is the same as the one from Amelia. And the goatskin they have I can find cheaper as well. Only thing they offer that I don't have a source for is the German shrunken calf.

I havent tried any of the french calf yet so I cant comment on the quality.

There is one or two other online shops like Fine Leatherworking, I think its called Lekoza, but it is equally expensive. I also used to buy from Hardtke and was sad to see their site down. I think they were moving locations a little while back. Im tempted to e-mail them to see if they are still in business.

how do you like the baby calf from d'annonay? Any chance you tested out the box calf from them?

Are you aware of an online store in North America that has a selection of fine leathers, charles hardtke was one I had my eye on but the site is no longer active. fineleatherworking has a selection of fine leathers, but they seemed overprice although I need to request a price list from the tannery to see for sure.

The baby calf is not from D'annonay. But if someone knows from which tannery it is so please tell me.

Hardtke is on-line, order by phone.

Art