nick67

Putting Words On Leather

Hi guys, I am recently making a simple sleeve for my cards. I came across another member's post and wanted to achieve the same effect as his work:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=68164

I am having trouble finding out how he did that. I searched the forums and googled for a couple of days with little result.

A few threads suggested that they have used sharpies with success. I went ahead and picked up a silver color permanent sharpie and tried on a scrap piece of veg tan leather. I allowed it to dry for a few hours, but later I tried rubbing it gently and the color smeared all over.

I also came across a website which suggested I used a heating tool to burn the leather. Was wondering if I could use those soldering tool to burn the leather? Though, I would much prefer to have the silver colored effect as shown in the link above than a burnt effect.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading guys!

try looking for a foil embosser like those used on Books

try looking for a foil embosser like those used on Books

Thanks. I just spent the last hour or so checking out foil embossing. Seems like I need to purchase a machine for that. Kind of overkill for a one-off project. I didn't know that it's done that way.

If anyone else have any idea how I could do it in another way (one off projects) do let me know :)

Edited by nick67

At one time I made sales fliers for a company I worked for and another time-a Forestry drafting course.

Used an alphabet rub off paper. Rub the letter and it adheres to project.working on.

That was years ago maybe they are made now in colors. Bought them from a business supply company.

Joe

I've never tried it with leather, . . . but I've had some wonderful success with the iron on transfers one uses for tee shirts, sweat shirts, etc.

Call Mcg Paper LLC, . . . 215-679-8163 or check their website www.mcgpaper.com .

Ask for Mark Labate, he helped me out with my last couple of orders.

Before I sent in my last big order, I asked him for some "samples" and he sent them to me for the price of the shipping, I think it was like $7.00

May God bless,

Dwight

Silver Sharpies are a paint type marker and not a penetrating dye like most of their other colors. You need to "fix" the color first to prevent the smearing. I use spray application of Supersheen but there are other fixative sprays at art supply and hobby/craft stores.

Thanks for all the replies. I will look all of it up!

Silver Sharpies are a paint type marker and not a penetrating dye like most of their other colors. You need to "fix" the color first to prevent the smearing. I use spray application of Supersheen but there are other fixative sprays at art supply and hobby/craft stores.

What do you mean by fixing colors? Do you mean like spraying a coat of protectors (such as resolene) over the sharpie ink?

I letter leather from time to time and this is how I do it

Case

Make tracing of letters on tracing paper

Transfer letters with mech pencil to for outline

With very lightly loaded brush fill in outline

This gives a nice appearance and doesn't take long.

Good luck

I letter leather from time to time and this is how I do it

Case

Make tracing of letters on tracing paper

Transfer letters with mech pencil to for outline

With very lightly loaded brush fill in outline

This gives a nice appearance and doesn't take long.

Good luck

What type of ink do you use?

What do you mean by fixing colors? Do you mean like spraying a coat of protectors (such as resolene) over the sharpie ink?

That's basically it. You need something to "fix" the color (as in attach it) to the leather. Since the sharpie itself will just rub off, you need something over the top of it that won't.

I use spirit dyes. For silver I dilute black 30:1 and blue 50:50

Blue first let dry then black till I get color I'm going for.

I have some barber customers that wanted straight razors and I used this method to produce a blade color but I did use air brush to apply

For your letter you can mask around outline with liquid latex I get it at Michael's craft store and then air brush

Hope this helps