DoctorFedora

Viking Helm Patterns?

I've been wanting to make a leather viking-style helm for a while now. The only problem is that I have not been able to find many patterns or instructions, only a finished product. Does anybody know where I can find patterns for a more-or-less authentic Viking helm?

Steel armor patterns relate well to leather (in many cases). Instead of dishing/raising to shape the armor piece, you will be wet forming the leather to make that piece. Here's a few places to look:

The Armor Archive - Patterns for steel armor

Armor Geek - A few leather armor patterns (sorry, no helmets)

Gwynfor's Armor Patterns - A few steel armor patterns

Arador Armor Library - A few steel armor patterns (look at the spangenhelm)

I hope this helps. There are several armoring sites out there, but I figure you know how to use a search engine. Good luck with it.:thumbsup:

Thank you for the links. I've already seen the Armor Archive (and am going to use it for a few of my projects), but the Arador Armor Library's Spangenhelm seems to be almost exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking forwad to making this and will try to post pictures when complete.

Hey Doc! I made a similar helmet for my son - did the patterns by myself with paper first. Just give it a try, would love to see the result!

LOL Cute! But I hope people know that the real Vikings didn't sport horns on their helmets.

LOL Cute! But I hope people know that the real Vikings didn't sport horns on their helmets.

Hey Sylvia - thank you for the tip ;-)

I am not too deep into viking history and the helmet was done just the way I was told to to from my son. But if I get to make a "real thing" anytime, I will remember your hint!

Hey Sylvia - thank you for the tip ;-)

I am not too deep into viking history and the helmet was done just the way I was told to to from my son. But if I get to make a "real thing" anytime, I will remember your hint!

:) The customer is the most important.

I'm not sure where the idea Viking helmet's with horns came from. Perhaps it was an incarnation from some of the folks in Minnesota. Or perhaps someone saw depictions of the Vikings with Winged helmets and misunderstood what they were seeing.

At any rate I loved your little guys helmet... I bet he loves it.

I'm not sure where the idea Viking helmet's with horns came from. Perhaps it was an incarnation from some of the folks in Minnesota. Or perhaps someone saw depictions of the Vikings with Winged helmets and misunderstood what they were seeing.

Vikings helmets had neither horns or wings, so I guess the Minnesota theory is correct. LOL Swedish ice hockey fans use to wear blue and yellow horned viking helmets !! :clapping:

Vikings helmets had neither horns or wings, so I guess the Minnesota theory is correct. LOL Swedish ice hockey fans use to wear blue and yellow horned viking helmets !! :clapping:

There is a theory that it started in Sweden when they were trying to recover some of the Viking culture and identity. I've seen depictions on a piece of ancient Norse art that shows a figure with a helmet with snakes, wings, ... but most scholars believe those helmets were reserved (If they existed at all) for ceremony. No winged, or horned helmet has ever been found.

Ok we've beat this dead horse to mush....

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Hope the original poster found what he or she was looking for.

Because I'm also interested in art in general, this is what I hope I can remeber...

The image with horns on the viking helmets is said to be from : Romanticised ideas from artists painting vinkings and it showed up in the 19th (?) century. I hope I remembered the right century, I do not remember if it was here in Sweden but that might sound right :-)

Because I'm also interested in art in general, this is what I hope I can remeber...

The image with horns on the viking helmets is said to be from : Romanticised ideas from artists painting vinkings and it showed up in the 19th (?) century. I hope I remembered the right century, I do not remember if it was here in Sweden but that might sound right :-)

I think it started in Germany, the Aryan thing.

No matter what, horns on Viking helmets are a joke!

/ knut

i think the "horn on the helmet" thing was a mistake by the archeologist who find the viking grave with the 2 drinking horns by the head / helmet, and mistaken them to be helm decorations instead of drinking horns.. thats just i theory i have.

/eas