Sign in to follow this  
LilRay

Dye Before Paint, Or Paint Begore Dye?

Making a checkbook cover with a rose on it. I want to paint the rose and leaves AND I want to dye the rest of the leather, How do I go about it????

God Bless, Ray

I would paint the rose first then dye. But when you dye your going to have use brush for the dye around the rose till you get out a little ways. Or that's what has worked for me. Personally i don't like to paint and dye on the same piece, it's alot more work.

Hi,

I use spirit dyes and I always use them before paint, now you can "slab around" with the dyes as much as you want with that wool thingie. Paint is usually going on the leather with a brush so these steps makes sence to me. Also, the dyes take away the oils in the leather and make the paint bond better. When all is dry I use Neatfoot oil to replace what disapeard in the dye process.

Best of Luck//Tina

I do the same order as Tina. Dye outside first then do your painting. I think you have better luck covering a dye "boo-boo" with paint than trying to cover a paint "boo-boo" with dye.

Crystal