Sign in to follow this  
Oliver

Whats This Stamp Called?

Hey All,

A simple question for many I am sure, but I have no experience with tooling yet, so if anyone could point me in the right direction would be most appreciated.

I was looking through some videos on youtube:

and dale uses a stamp tool at 3 min 57 sec.

what is this stamping tool called - and can anyone refer to the exact size?

thanks in advance

Hey All,

A simple question for many I am sure, but I have no experience with tooling yet, so if anyone could point me in the right direction would be most appreciated.

I was looking through some videos on youtube:

and dale uses a stamp tool at 3 min 57 sec.

what is this stamping tool called - and can anyone refer to the exact size?

thanks in advance

That's the bargrounder. It is a type of background tool that creates little bumps. Those bumps form the background texture. Bargrounders come in many many different sizes. You can get tools with various numbers of circles and various sizes of the circles. Check out Barry King's bargrounders here: http://www.barrykingtools.com/page5.htm From what I have been able to gather over the years, the bargrounder is mostly used in Sheridan Style floral carving. Nearly all the top Sheridan Style carvers use the bargrounder almost exclusively. It takes awhile to learn to use it correctly too. Other than the bargrounder another background tool commonly used is the A104 and A104-2 Those give a nice matted style background. Other than those two there is also what is called a rose backgrounder. It basically makes little flowers as the background. It is relatively uncommon though. I have seen it used in some of Stohlman's work and is mostly a western style backgrounder. Anyway, that is probably way more info than you wanted but I hope it helped!

Thank you thank you that is perfect just what I needed to know :-)

Also great to have the link to barrys tools, I was looking at his website before and it is very hard to pick something out without knowing much about it

but your advice will help me a lot.

That's the bargrounder. It is a type of background tool that creates little bumps. Those bumps form the background texture. Bargrounders come in many many different sizes. You can get tools with various numbers of circles and various sizes of the circles. Check out Barry King's bargrounders here: http://www.barryking...s.com/page5.htm From what I have been able to gather over the years, the bargrounder is mostly used in Sheridan Style floral carving. Nearly all the top Sheridan Style carvers use the bargrounder almost exclusively. It takes awhile to learn to use it correctly too. Other than the bargrounder another background tool commonly used is the A104 and A104-2 Those give a nice matted style background. Other than those two there is also what is called a rose backgrounder. It basically makes little flowers as the background. It is relatively uncommon though. I have seen it used in some of Stohlman's work and is mostly a western style backgrounder. Anyway, that is probably way more info than you wanted but I hope it helped!

Hi Oliver,

I'll tell you from my own experience that Barry will be a great help to you too. Just e-mail him and tell him what you're wanting to do and ask him what he recommends. He really knows his stuff and will make sure you get exactly what you need to do the job at hand.

Dave