Shorts

Line 24 snaps vs Pull the dot snaps

Just curious in the differences between these two snaps. I'm using snaps on holsters on 8/9oz leather.

I use pull-the-dot fasteners on 8/9 oz. leather.

The diameter of the snaps is for all intents and purposes the same. A line 24 snap can be opened from any direction and snaps firmly in place. A pull-the-dot snap can only be opened when pulled in one direction (so be thoughtful when you set them) and can only be fastened in the opposite direction, and the "standard" pull-the-dot has a lighter snap action than a line 24. I have noticed that they sell a version that is a harder snap, but I have not tried those. When fastened, the pull-the-dot snaps are more loose/jiggly than line 24 snaps.

Be careful of the eyelet post length when you buy pull-the-dot fasteners because my experience is that most online places sell short posts for work with linens. The design of the pull-the-dot stud requires a longer post! I recommend the .370" eyelet.

Also of note - when setting pull-the-dot fasteners on leather the "dot" does not get stamped into the button. You'll see what I mean about this when you get some. Not a big deal in my opinion as the direction of pull for snaps on a sheath should be self-explanatory.

I have bought happily from dotfastenersdirect.com.

This cross-draw knife sheath is a recent example where I used pull-the-dot snaps in conjunction with line 24 snaps. The line 24 is on "top" and the pull-the-dot is on "bottom":

2390724179_08196a43e1_b.jpg

My design calls for the top snap to unbutton easily, so the "pin lock" can slide out and rotate away on the second snap. The pull-the-dot snap does not accidentally pull off when you're pulling on the upper snap, since the pull-the-dot only comes off if you pull "up" on it (in the opposite direction). The strap can still be removed if desired for retention-free carry, and is easily replaced.

2390727997_103ab88a89_b.jpg

Here you see that the pull-the-dot snap does not sit flush and so it "jiggles" a bit when fastened:

2390724857_57119e5df2_b.jpg

Lastly here is the difference in the look of the studs:

2391560096_acfd987704_b.jpg

I stitched around the line 24 stud since it requires some force to unfasten, and I don't want the layers of leather to start pulling apart. Since the pull-the-dot fastener comes undone easily when pulled in the right direction, it does not require the same reinforcement, IMO.

Edited by mikeymoto

I use a arbor type press and dies to set my line 24 snaps. Would I be able to use the same dies and press to set pull-the-dot snaps?

Randy

Yes. I have the hand press Tandy sells and I use the line 24 dies for pull-the-dots.

Mikeymoto

Thanks that's what I wanted to here. I never want to go back to setting snaps by hand!

BTW, great looking sheath.

Randy

Pull the dot snaps are very popular on commercial law enforcement gear. Personally, I hate them, as I can never seem to get them to open when I want. Maybe a snap that's been installed by someone like "us" that takes care to do it correctly opens easier. These days, I generally replace mine with 24's if I know I'm going to be opening the snaps regularly. I've done the same for some of my fellow officers. When I construct an off duty holster, I always ask the customer if they really want the PTD snaps. Some like 'em, some don't.

On the other hand, that's a great use for the PTD snaps on that sheath. Well thought-out.

1. Be careful of the eyelet post length when you buy pull-the-dot fasteners because my experience is that most online places sell short posts for work with linens. The design of the pull-the-dot stud requires a longer post! I recommend the .370" eyelet.
  2. Where can you buy the eyelets with longer posts?

Thanks

• Be careful of the eyelet post length when you buy pull-the-dot fasteners because my experience is that most online places sell short posts for work with linens. The design of the pull-the-dot stud requires a longer post! I recommend the .370" eyelet.
  • Where can you buy the eyelets with longer posts?
Thanks

I know this is old, but where can one buy pull the dot snaps with the longer posts? I've been scouring the internet for an hour - that's how I found this old thread.

Try a company called sailrite. They are a nautical supply company.

I know this is old, but where can one buy pull the dot snaps with the longer posts? I've been scouring the internet for an hour - that's how I found this old thread.

Try a company called sailrite. They are a nautical supply company.

If you already have posts and caps it saves a few bucks by just buying the pull dot socket and stud. I buy the parts separately from Scovill.

http://www.scovill.com/products/

I dont care for the text printed on the pull dot cap so I just use line 24 plain caps and and posts and just buy a bag each of the sockets and studs for the pull dot.

So with just strictly pull the dot parts, how thick of a piece of leather will the posts accommodate? I see the longer of the two offered has posts just over 1/4".

This place has longer posts for both parts of the snap...

http://www.fasnap.com/index.html

I happen to like the text on the pull the dot snaps so the customer knows what direction to pull to open the snap. I also put a divot right over the "o" in "dot" on the snap so that they will know exactly what direction to pull to open it.......but that's just me. I know everyone doesn't want or need to do that.

This place has longer posts for both parts of the snap...

http://www.fasnap.com/index.html

I happen to like the text on the pull the dot snaps so the customer knows what direction to pull to open the snap. I also put a divot right over the "o" in "dot" on the snap so that they will know exactly what direction to pull to open it.......but that's just me. I know everyone doesn't want or need to do that.

I dig what you are saying ... I just figure if I put a snap on a gun holster or knife sheath and you dont know which way you are supposed to pull it to open ... ya probably shouldn’t be trusted with pointy things or things that go bang!! LOL

but I am sure there are a whole host of applications where it might be a good idea to provide a little direction.

I dig what you are saying ... I just figure if I put a snap on a gun holster or knife sheath and you dont know which way you are supposed to pull it to open ... ya probably shouldnt be trusted with pointy things or things that go bang!! LOL

but I am sure there are a whole host of applications where it might be a good idea to provide a little direction.

I make holsters, but in this case I'm making a portable radio holder for law enforcement. I'm looking at putting a pull the dot snap on the strap (the strap is 1/4" shock cord fed through a leather tab for the snap to attach to). I figure that way the radio is less likely to become unsecured when things get strenuous.

I suppose if pull the dot snaps are only capable of fastening securely in 5/6 oz of leather (which is a guess on my part), I'll have to skive the tab down, and then use a post from a line 24 snap on the body of the radio holster, which will be 8/9 oz leather. Does that sound workable? I'm thinking I might just have to order some pull the dots and see how think of leather they can fasten onto.

I make holsters, but in this case I'm making a portable radio holder for law enforcement. I'm looking at putting a pull the dot snap on the strap (the strap is 1/4" shock cord fed through a leather tab for the snap to attach to). I figure that way the radio is less likely to become unsecured when things get strenuous.

I suppose if pull the dot snaps are only capable of fastening securely in 5/6 oz of leather (which is a guess on my part), I'll have to skive the tab down, and then use a post from a line 24 snap on the body of the radio holster, which will be 8/9 oz leather. Does that sound workable? I'm thinking I might just have to order some pull the dots and see how think of leather they can fasten onto.

You can just carve out a divot around where you are going to set the snap and you dont have to skive down the entire Tab. Ian has a video where he does a coin inlay and with a safety beveler just thins out the circle where the coin goes. I have done that when I set snaps in really thick leather. The other solution is what 25b suggested when he said he put a divot at the pull point. You could get a longer post on a straight line 24 cap and then just add an indication on the cap on pull direction. It wont have all the wording but you can certainly mark it and make it look professional with just a dot.

So with just strictly pull the dot parts, how thick of a piece of leather will the posts accommodate? I see the longer of the two offered has posts just over 1/4".

If you get pull the dots from scovil with a 1/4 inch post, that is the equivalent of 16 oz of leather. Should do half that with no problems.

I have seen them with close to 1/2" post in a nautical supply store here on the west coast. No idea where they got them but they do exist. If i am there again, i will ask for sure.

It could be a good estimate to figure .050" needed for the proper crimp of the post when one uses their dies or crimper.

As another post I mention using the part: Low or Deep base stud,  this gives roughly another 1/16" usage more than the standard stud base typically used in marine canvas.

I am learning a great deal from you all here about the leather work I'm trying to get into and so this is just a small tip as I see several  post here about snaps and thought maybe able to give hand, as I work with them a bit.

Good Friday

Floyd