Sign in to follow this  
Fiddlegirl89

Sliding Knot For A Lanyard

Ok, I'm finally posting a question here!

I am braiding a kangaroo lanyard, 6 strand braid. For attaching hardware on the ends, I have to decrease to a 4 strand (to fit my hardware) and then I backbraid the ends into the 4 strand braid. I used a Spanish Ring knot at the very end, and then a 5 part, 4 bight (I'm not sure if that knot has a name...) with an interweave behind that. (To cover the backbraided ends and to hold everything in tight. I have to be certain those ends stay put!)

My question is this...I'm using a 7 part, 6 bight with an interweave for the sliding knot, and I was planning on using a Spanish Ring knot underneath that knot for a buildup, to make the sliding knot round. Is that going to be enough buildup to make that knot round, though? I really don't know very much at all about the knots, and the buildup under the knots really has me confused...how do I know what to put where? Basically, I want my knot to be nice and round, and I don't know for sure what to do to make that happen!

I'm having a crisis here...I'm working with a deadline!!! I have to ship 6 of these tomorrow! :helpsmilie:

This is the 6 strand braid I'm working with...

DSCF1858.jpg

The ends...I haven't put the other knot on the right side yet. And I know the one on the left isn't right, yet! I'm going to work on making it more even!

DSCF1860.jpg

And this is the knot that I want to be round, when I get done!

DSCF1859.jpg

Thanks so much!

Edited by Fiddlegirl89

What you can do for a sliding knot that works better than a ring knot is take a piece of leather that will wrap around the piece you want, skive the ends so that it will all lay flat, and then glue these ends with contact cement. You can make this leather foundation first of a dowel, which is what I would do, and then if your skiving isnt perfect, you can sand it some to smooth things up. then you could build up on top of the first piece with another piece that is a little narrower, and put as many more wraps of leather on as you want to get the foundation. Then to make it round, run it on a belt sander and basically turn it into a ball shape. Then tie your knot over this, once youre done, just slide the whole thing off the dowel and onto your lanyard. You can make it similar to a scarf slide, and it should work ok. Or you can do all of this on your lanyard first and by pass the dowel completely.

Hope this helps,

CW

my sliding knot foundations are always ring knots...that way i can control the amount of slide in them. real tight for leashes and less so for bolo ties, lanyards. to get size i have done two ring knots with leather in between similar to what aggie described. or just 2 or 3 ring knots with a turkhead or larger ring knot over the top to keep them together and add some shape. if you post your braiding questions down in the braiding forum you might get more answers.

Thanks so much! I worked on them last night and put the knots on ring knots...it worked out pretty well. Someone else told me about making a leather collar on a dowel first, but I didn't know how I could get the finished slide tight enough on the lanyard, making it on a dowel first. Or how I would get it on the lanyard after I got it off the dowel!!!

I'm still figuring out what goes where for optimal response!!! Thanks!