Tinneal

Going To Be Attempting My First Scabbard

I'm going to be making my first scabbard on commission. I have the Stohlman books "The Art of Making Leather Cases", vol. 1 - 3, so I have the theory from there to guide me, but I was just wondering if anyone on here can help me out. My friend will be bringing the rifle over either Wednesday or Thursday this week. I will only have the time that he is here, with it, so I would like any suggestions on how to make the most of the time I have. I'm going to take many pictures of the gun, and many measurements, but I was wondering if there's any sort of check list I could follow to make sure I get everything I need. Also, it has a scope.

Thank you in advance!

I haven't made a scabbard for a scoped rifle but the way I do them for carbines is similar to how you'd make a holster, it just takes a bigger piece of paper. Start with a length of butcher paper as long as the rifle, fold it in half, place the rifle on center and roll it to the side, trace around it, I add an 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" to the outside of the pattern for a rifle (I ususally use 3/4" for a pistol), from there it's pretty straight forward. My guess is that a scoped rifle would be similar, you'd cut a sloping curve from the front of the scope along the top of the barrel and a flap to come across the pistol grip area. Anyway, I'll bet somebody else has built them and can give more input. Good luck!

Josh

post-19070-098288000 1318861998_thumb.jp

post-19070-062927600 1318862014_thumb.jp

Tinneal i have built a few. But i wouldn't build it unless they left the rifle !! You will want it / need it to test fit as you go along espically if it is a blot action rifle. Their several discusions about making one on here if you search rifle scabbard.

Tinneal,

I agree with dirtclod. You will be able to get close without the rifle but pictures and measurments will only go so far. I've used my own rifle, of the same make and model as the customers, as a pattern when building scabbards. Even that is risky though. Just the difference in scope brands and slings will make a difference in the fit.

Dan

Edited by dbusarow

Thanks for all the input, everyone! I'll do my best with what I get... The nice thing, though, is that I have until April to get it finished! So there will be lots of time in case he has to bring it back in... I don't think I'd be allowed to keep it here, because of the insanely stupid regulations in Canada regarding guns.