Sign in to follow this  
CrotalusCo

First Holster 3Rd Leather Project

I am new so go easy on me. This is my first holster, wet forming and even hand stitching. I have made a cuff, a key fob and this is leather project #3

But in all seriousness I would like to hear feedback, tips tricks and suggestions. There is an indention mark as i used a clamp to hold the form, some defects in the finishing and the stitching needs work. Does anyone see anything else?

post-7480-093638900 1316836468_thumb.jpg

As for the stitching, it looks like there is no groove for the stitches to sink into, which will keep them straighter.

The stitching around the belt slot is probably unnecessary. Speaking of the belt slot, is it REALLY that much wider than the belt, or is that just a random belt you pulled out of a drawer as a prop? Belt slots should be SLIGHTLY wider than the belt itself, so that the holster doesn't flop around.

I prefer the bottom edge of my holsters to be at least flush with the muzzle, if not to extend just a little bit (1/8 inch or so) beyond. With belt slide holsters, it's ESPECIALLY important to mold in a tunnel for the front sight, because snagging the front sight against the bottom of the holster is a real show-stopper. It looks your holster has such a tunnel, but I wanted to be sure you understood that.

Hard to tell for sure in the picture, but the edges look very square. I'd recommend using an edger on the corners, and burnishing the edges.

I am new so go easy on me. This is my first holster, wet forming and even hand stitching. I have made a cuff, a key fob and this is leather project #3

But in all seriousness I would like to hear feedback, tips tricks and suggestions. There is an indention mark as i used a clamp to hold the form, some defects in the finishing and the stitching needs work. Does anyone see anything else?

As BigO says, that belt loop is pretty big, both in width and length (height) and stitching around it is unnecessary. The loop NEEDS to fit the belt fairly tightly. As to your stitching, it doesn't look like saddle stitching to me. I may be wrong, but it appears that (maybe) you did a standard 'running' stitch going one way, then reversed and came back the opposite way. If so, that aint good. You definitely need to use a stitching gouge and a good overstitch wheel. Especially with the type of front sight on your shooter, you need to make the holster longer, at least to a length which covers the muzzle. As to aesthetics, I would like to see less of long straight lines. Gentle curves are much more attractive and pleasing to the eye. Edging and burnishing always will enhance your work and give a 'finished' appearance. I also would kind of like to see the back side of this piece.

I seriously hope that is not your gun belt because that is just not sufficient. That looks like a rather soft, 1" belt from here. I would highly recommend a 1.5" belt of sufficient thickness that you cannot bend it vertically by pinching the top edge and the bottom edge together... (I don't know how else to describe it). That would make another good project for you!

A holster needs the good foundation of a proper gun belt to be any good. A good belt makes a huge difference. Once you experience it, you will never have anything else.

I would also recommend that if you make a belt, you should consider making it the same color as your holster. It looks much better that way.

I would also recommend that you look at what other "veterans" around here are making. I learn so much just by looking at their creations.

Nick

Over all it's a good first..

You have the distance between where the Grip and Frame come together fine. There is plenty of room to get a solid grip on your weapon as you pull from the holster. It also look like there is plenty of room for the front sight to clear the bottom upon drawing the weapon.

It's definitely a functional Holster.

Apply what people point out and suggest to you and you'll do fine.

Hi CrotalusCo - We've all been there, so you're in good company! Your holster looks pretty good, and you've received some good feedback already. If I were you, I'd raise the belt slots up a bit, which will lower the gun on the belt, helping to keep it from flopping outward.

I would also suggest that you cover the muzzle - it may fit fine right now, but once that leather starts to soften up, it could very easily snag the bottom edge of the holster and make it difficult to draw the weapon.

If you have access to a belt sander, or even a drill press with some sanding drum bits, I'd work on smoothing out the curves of the leather prior to stitching. Once your leather has nice, clean lines, you can use something like wing dividers to scribe a stitch line around the edge of the holster.

I would probably avoid curving the stitch line inward (towards the trigger guard) at the top of the holster.

From an aesthetic standpoint, I'd probably add a groove to the top and bottom edge of the holster.