poolplayer

leather workbench or shop pictures

I have always wanted to build a workshop for leather. I now have the time and space. I moved in with my girlfriend and she has a horse barn with a huge loft. She boards horses and i want to get into repairing saddles and tack. I know i can't make a living but it sure will be fun i hope. If you can post some pictures of your benches and or shop i would appreaciate it.

I have always wanted to build a workshop for leather. I now have the time and space. I moved in with my girlfriend and she has a horse barn with a huge loft. She boards horses and i want to get into repairing saddles and tack. I know i can't make a living but it sure will be fun i hope. If you can post some pictures of your benches and or shop i would appreaciate it.

as the nickname says I play pool and want ti make pool cue cases to. I have a lot of requests to make them. I need carving designs for dragons wizards and anything cool. thanks.

My wife and I bought workbenches from Lowe's for our shop. They're pretty handy, but my main complaint is a lack of leg room under the table top. They put 3 drawers under the top, and there's a shelf about six inches off the floor for the bottom. Great for storage, terrible for a long legged guy to try to get close to the work area with.

If I had to do over again, I'd go with the Craftsman workbench we originally looked at from Sears. Saved some money going to Lowe's, but I'm not sure we got the best deal.

Here's a pic of mine:

wrkstn1.jpg

post-6892-126240167449_thumb.jpg

Hi poolplayer,

To work with leather - especially if you are carving and stamping - you need a very solid workbench, with a very rigid top that does not bounce or vibrate when struck. The more the work surface bounces, the more difficult it is to get nice crisp tooling impressions with good depth. Placing a granite slab underneath your leather while tooling really helps to provide a nice rigid work surface for tooling, but the more solid the bench, the better. Here is an image of something close to what I would recommend:

workbench.jpg

This is more like what I would get, if it were available in the size I need, but since I work with large projects, I will probably have to build my own bench. For now, I am making do with a metal-reinforced reference table.

my-studio-01.png

It is fairly solid, and doesn't vibrate a lot, but is not what I would call ideal. It will eventually be replaced with something more like what is pictured above.

Kate

post-7-126249084714_thumb.jpg

post-7-126249128154_thumb.png

Kate is absolutely correct! You need a solid surface, TRUST ME. I found this table....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93454-AAA&Submit=Go appears to be a solid table.

Here is a tool chest that is really handy. I keep most of my tools in here. I like the felt lined drawers.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94538

I got both of mine for less than $200.

My workroom is a confused mess right now because I'm too busy to tidy up and there is far too much stuff in there. I might get around to a clear out in March or April - we'll see!

What isn't too obvious is that there are different 'work-stations' for different activities. For example there is a tooling area, a staining area, a cutting area with a green cutting board, a hand machine area, a harness stitching area and a soft leather stitching area. I just wish I had three times the space!

There is another area for heavy presses and cutting machines downstairs on the ground floor but that really is full of junk...

Ray

workroom-1.jpg

workroom-2.jpg

workroom-3.jpg

workroom-4.jpg

workroom-5.jpg

workroom-6.jpg

workroom-7.jpg

workroom-8.jpg

workroom-9.jpg

workroom-10.jpg

workroom-11.jpg

post-6314-126254959416_thumb.jpg

post-6314-126254960511_thumb.jpg

post-6314-126254961485_thumb.jpg

post-6314-126254963111_thumb.jpg

post-6314-126254964725_thumb.jpg

post-6314-12625496581_thumb.jpg

post-6314-126254967012_thumb.jpg

post-6314-126254968418_thumb.jpg

post-6314-126254969768_thumb.jpg

post-6314-126254971512_thumb.jpg

post-6314-126254973018_thumb.jpg

What isn't too obvious is that there are different 'work-stations' for different activities. For example there is a tooling area, a staining area, a cutting area with a green cutting board, a hand machine area, a harness stitching area and a soft leather stitching area. I just wish I had three times the space!

If only for that much space! My own operation is split into two separate areas of my house now, with one station to do all the carving, stamping, and hand coloring, and the garage for all the spraying, woodwork and clicking.

The two people who have posted what I think are the best layouts and shop furniture I've seen are Randy Cornelius and Bruce Johnson. Here are links to the two threads they posted with photos of their shops:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17377

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6482

But most beginners are more likely to want more of a single general-purpose station to get started, and if they end up really getting into it, they will expand from there, as most of us who have been doing this for years have done.

Kate

I've recently moved everything into my basement, after getting it cleaned out. I've got a workbench, a table/shelf unit for chemicals/paints, a table/shelf for leather, and a cutting table. What you can't see is the other side, which has a table with a minifridge, and another table with a drill press, belt sander and scroll saw, and a drum set. :)

shop.jpg

bench.jpg

There's also an extra computer with a wallmounted 19" monitor and a small wireless mouse/keyboard combo, which doubles as the radio, and is really handy for being able to refer to things. On Friday, I added a halogen floodlight on a swingarm to light the tooling slab.

If only for that much space!

But most beginners are more likely to want more of a single general-purpose station to get started, and if they end up really getting into it, they will expand from there, as most of us who have been doing this for years have done.Kate

'Stuff' expands to fill available space, Kate. There was loads of room in there when I started...

I agree that someone starting out can manage perfectly well with a very small space. I started out by working in a cupboard under my stairs, and stayed in there (heck I almost lived in there) for a couple of years. That was in the 1970s... I've collected a few more tools since then!

The advantage of separate work areas is not just clear up time, it means that you can lay out your tools in a way that is most convenient to you. I keep most of my hand tools in the black drawers under the hand-operated machines, but a lot still have to live on the benches if I'm going to work effectively. Personally, I'd like to see more people's tool racks so I can decide what sort to build for myself.

I accept that my workroom is unlikely to appeal to someone with a nice clean, open-plan work space. It is far too cluttered with tools and machines, even for me, but until I get to move to a dedicated workshop it will have to do.

Randy Cornelius has the most wonderful shop. I want one just like it!

Ray

... and a drum set. :)

A drum set??? LOL - is that something you use for a new kind of coloring technique? An image of the Blue Man Group briefly crossed my mind.

Kate

If you do a board search, there are several thread of what other members hvae done with their work areas. I believe there are at least 2 or 3 out there somewhere.

A drum set??? LOL - is that something you use for a new kind of coloring technique? An image of the Blue Man Group briefly crossed my mind.

Kate

It's great for stress relief. :)

Old Shop in basement to new shop in outside building.

Randy

Leather shop pics 001.jpg

Leather shop pics 003.jpg

post-62-1262564730_thumb.jpg

post-62-126256477079_thumb.jpg

Have enjoyed seeing everyones set-up, here's mine. I built the shop and all the benches and cabinets inside, still a lot of work to do if I finish everything that's planned. Yeah that's a four wheeler with a plow inside it's winter here so I keep it inside to make sure it starts and the seats not froze. Don't laugh.

shop.jpg

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

shop4.jpg

shop5.jpg

shop6.jpg

shop7.jpg

shop8.jpg

shop9.jpg

post-5526-126257500499_thumb.jpg

post-5526-126257502317_thumb.jpg

post-5526-126257503977_thumb.jpg

post-5526-126257506644_thumb.jpg

post-5526-126257508697_thumb.jpg

post-5526-126257509786_thumb.jpg

post-5526-126257510948_thumb.jpg

post-5526-126257512515_thumb.jpg

post-5526-126257513827_thumb.jpg

That exhaust fan in your dying area's a real nice touch.

I love Jims shop great space.

Josh